PDA

View Full Version : Beleriand

Elrian
10-24-2001, 04:07 PM
In the books it mentions that Beleriand sunk beneath the waves. Was this one one those cataclysms that happens overnight or over a span of years? smilies/confused.gif

Orald
10-24-2001, 09:04 PM
Oh jeez, there is quite a lengthy discussion on this, or there was.

Beleriand would have had to have sunk over a period of years, allowing elves and men time to escape. Now whether it was completely destroyed or just most of it until the drowning of numenor I think was the matter of the debate. I always thought it seemed more likely for it to be completely destroyed even before the drowning of numenor.

To say exactly how long it took would be a problem, but a day would definately be pushing it.

Mithadan
10-25-2001, 08:11 AM
If I recall correctly, the Lost Road (HoME 4) may suggest that the final destruction of Beleriand came during the fall of Numenor. However, as is the case with much of JRRT's earlier materials, this may not be a final conception.

My belief is that Beleriand was destroyed gradually during the 50 years of the War by the the host of the West against Morgoth. Some portions of Beleriand may have survived the war only to gradually subside. This would have allowed the remaining elves and men who dwelt there to escape.

As to why it was destroyed, Morgoth, in an attempt to slow the Host of the West, may have expended much of his remaining power by opening cracks in the ground, causing avalanches and earthquakes, etc. The Host of the West may have also been involved in undermining Beleriand's structure by rooting out strongholds which Morgoth may have established in the various mountain ranges. At least one person I know claims there is textual support for the idea that Morgoth created a series of tunnels under Beleriand to assist in the movement of his forces.

I advance one final, somewhat radical, idea. When all was said and done and Morgoth was defeated, what remained of Beleriand may have been so severely tainted and damaged that it was beyond redemption and the Valar themselves may have sunk it after ensuring that all men and elves were safe.

Orald
10-25-2001, 10:03 PM
You leave me even more to wonder about now, Mithadan.

Telchar
10-26-2001, 04:53 AM
I like the your last Idear best Mithadan. I have always thought that Beleriand was destroyed by the Valar - because it was finally become a place which carried a memory which they didn't want to remember. A destruction of the memorial of Morgoths victory over Elves and Men. I guess that efter the War of Wrath the Valar secured the remaining Elves and Faithful men in Lindon and East of Ered Luin - And the send the sea in to swallow Beleriand. What few Islands that still stood after that, remained until the age lasted and was then destroyed in the Downfall og Numenor.
Maybe Tol Morwen, Rerir and Haudh-en-Elleth still stood in the 3. age - ???

Mithadan
10-26-2001, 07:16 AM
Don't forget the island of "Himling" (sic) shown on the LoTR maps which represents the peak of Himring, Maedhros' fortress.

Elrian
10-28-2001, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys! smilies/smile.gif smilies/smile.gif smilies/smile.gif smilies/smile.gif