PDA

View Full Version : Gandalf before the War of the Ring

Imbefana
04-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Just as the title says, I was wondering what Gandalf did exactly between 1000 T.A. when he arrived in the Grey Havens and the War of the Ring. In the Silmarillion it says

Long they journeyed far and wide among Elves and Men... Mithrandir was closest in counsel with Elrond and the Elves. He wandered far in the North and West and made never in any land any lasting abode...

I know he also drove Sauron out of Dol Guldur (twice) and was a member in the White Council, I suppose I'm just wondering why he didn't play a bigger part in the world of Men when he seemed to do so extensively right before and during the War of the Ring.

For example, was Aragorn the only heir of Isildur that befriended the wizard? Did one of the other Cheiftains of the Dunedain have that sort of companionship with him, or was Aragorn a special case?

I was just thinking how much Gandalf affected (in a good way of course) the lives of Men and Hobbits in the trilogy, and it seems odd he didn’t do so when he first came to Middle Earth. What do you guys think?

symestreem
04-30-2004, 05:24 AM
Gandalf did befriend the hobbits quite early on. He helped them through the Long Winter that occurred when Helm was besieged. Who knows what small local situations he defused or turned to the good of the goood guys? He was probably influencing all the small communities on his travels. Also, the wizards were not allowed to use force, but had to use counsel. This requirement seems to have been relaxed a little for Gandalf when he became Gandalf the White (remember Theoden, and the light on the Pelennor Fields that made the Nazgul leave?)
He probably knew the other heirs of Isildur, since they were fostered at Rivendell, but he did not meet Aragorn until 2956. Also, the story of the dwarf-wars and Gandalf's meeting with Thorin Oakenshield provides some illumination into what he was doing. Was that chance? It seems that Gandalf was just watching out for all of Middle-earth.

Potatothan
05-03-2004, 04:00 PM
It seems that Gandalf was just watching out for all of Middle-earth.

Very true. Gandalf called himself a stuart before he left Denethor the first time he got to Minas Tirith with Pippin. But to be more precise of Gandalf's job, Gandalf was send to help Middle-Earth to fight of Sauron. After Sauron was defeated, Gandalf soon left. His job was done. He helped the kings and Thain's. Although it only known that he helped the humans, but it was only the humans that needed help. The elf lords were wize enough and the Hobbit's didn't get in trouble. When they did, he aided them ofcourse, but it was only necsesary once. (the long winter) When Sauron was defeated and the shire was infaded, Gandalf didn't intervere because it wasn't his job and he was not allowed to. The enemy was not Sauron, but Saruman. Of course Gandalf knew that the four Hobbits could manage Saruman, else I think he helped out a bit. But Saruman had no power anymore, left his voice.

He pointed the rulers to the dangers they had not seen, thus warning them before they would be destroyed. That is why some called him a bringer of bad news, but he only brought the news if it was really nescesary in his opinion.

Before the war of the ring he did exactly the same as during: giving adivse. He was chosen for his wisedom, not his strength. Well ofcourse they wouldn't have sended a smart weakling, but none of the Maiar were. As stated in the Silmarillion Gandalf was the smartest of the Maiar, so it was obvious that he was chosen.

Hope that helps :D

~Potatothan

hobbit punk
05-03-2004, 08:27 PM
When Gandalf first came to Middle Earth, he was given the Elvish ring Narya by Cirdan. His spirit was said to be warm and eager, these qualities being enhanced by Narya. He used this power to council men and elves in times of need without pressuring them to take his council. Thus Gandalf was loved by all who were not proud long before the War of the Ring. Before the rise of Sauron the Istari had little contact with elves or men and they preferred to wander about gaining knowledge of Middle Earth and its inhabitants. Once Sauron rose and their knowledge was great, the Istari came more into the open. However, Gandalf helped those in need, having no fixed home himself. Gandalf did befriend people of all races before the War of the Ring. He seemed to like to keep a low profile, so his accomplishments before the War of the Ring may have, for the most part, gone unnoticed. I found this information in The Istari in the Unfinished Tales. I found it eye-opening and informative. I recommend reading it to anyone who wishes to learn more about the history of Gandalf and his fellow wizards.

Potatothan
05-04-2004, 04:42 AM
Gandalf did befriend people of all races before the War of the Ring.

All races perhaps, but as he said so himself, he never went south.

~Potatothan

hobbit punk
05-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Very true, but where he did go, Gandalf seemed to make friends with almost everyone.

Lalaith
05-05-2004, 09:11 AM
It was the east he never went to. In the South he was known as Incanus. So he must have spent time amongst the Haradrim at some point?

Numenorean
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi Imbey, heres a bit more from Unfinished Tales that might help to explain Gandalfs movements (a bit).
When Gandalf and the other Istari arrived on the shores of Middle Earth around the year 1000 of the Third Age, it is said in U.T (p.390) that "being embodied (as hale old men) the Istari had need to learn much anew by slow experience." For a few centuries they observed and learned rather than interacted and "in that time Men saw them seldom and heeded them little."

As the threat of Sauron and his evil things grew, and presumably once he had gathered sufficient insight and lore, Gandalf "ever went to and fro in the Westlands from Gondor to Angmar, and from Lindon to Lórien, befriending all folk in times of need...thus far and wide he was beloved among all those that were not themselves proud." U.T (p.390-391)

Although he 'journeyed unwearyingly on foot,' "his main province was 'the North,' and within it above all the North-west, Lindon, Eriador, and the Vales of Anduin. His alliance was primarily with Elrond and the northern Dúnedain (Rangers)." U.T (p.398) This seems to indicate that he had more to do with the North after the Kingdom of Arnor fell, perhaps the northern Kings were too proud to deal with Gandalf, as opposed to the comparatively humble Dúnedain Chieftains that followed them?
In the sovereign state of Gondor where the trappings and power of royalty remained intact through the Stewards, even after the last King -Eärnur- died, "Gandalf could do little to guide their proud rulers or to instruct them, and it was only in the decay of their power, when they were enobled by courage and steadfastness in what seemed a losing cause, that he began to be deeply concerned with them."U.T (p.399)

hobbit punk
05-07-2004, 04:38 PM
To Lalaith, yes, you are right it was the East he never went to. :o