PDA

View Full Version : Balrog Wars

Elrond Jr
03-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I know this may sound dumb and I may be asking an obvious question, but there was a war at some point between dwarves and balrogs right? Something about Azog and some dwarf was avenging his father. But I'm sure everyone's seen the movie and how the balrog was portrayed. And the trouble Gandalf had killing it. How could the dwarves collectively have killed any one balrog, let alone an army of them. I just don't understand it.

Mattius
03-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Azog was an orc, not a Blarog, you are refering to the dwarf orc wars, there was no balrog wars.

Dain
03-05-2003, 04:37 AM
It did take the balrog a whole year to kill Nain I, Durin VI's son, so they must have been doing something to hold it off for that long... smilies/wink.gif...but there's not much you can do against Balrogs in the end. They got Feanor, after all (albeit a bunch of them). Dwarves are some of the best warriors in ME (held of young Glaurung, almost killed Beren (we're sorry!)), but a single Balrog is still a tough opponenet, especially for the third age. Even big orcs like Azog and Bolg present problems, though the Dwarves did win the war.

It's similar with Dragons--they are just so powerful they can overthrow a whole kingdom (and then be killed by a good/lucky shot!). I wonder if there is any tale of Dwarves actually holding off the incursion of a dragon into one of their kingdoms...

balrogman
03-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Dain, your just out to prove that dwarves are better than all the other races aren't you?lol smilies/wink.gif

nPiLL
03-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Could someone tell me what book this is in? I only have the LotR, The Hobbit and the Silmarillion and i dont think this is in any of those.

Voralphion
03-05-2003, 06:20 PM
It is in the appendices in LOTR, sorry I cant give you the exact one as I dont hve my book with me.

The Saucepan Man
03-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Dain, your just out to prove that dwarves are better than all the other races aren't you?

It's a sure bet. Any challenge to Dwarfendom, and Dain will be there straight away. smilies/biggrin.gif

the guy who be short
03-06-2003, 09:19 AM
and i, jay son of gimli son of gloin son off groin son of farin son of borin son of nain son of thorin son of thrain son of nain son of durin will be there to help him also.
and its in appendix A part 3. i know all this off by heart. a true dwarf am i

Burzdol
03-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Guess we should tell elves to stay away from this forum, huh?

Personally I don't think dwarves could beat a balrog. And where does it say there was a whole army of them?

~Burzdol~