PDA

View Full Version : LotR --- Appendix A: I, (iv) -- Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion

Estelyn Telcontar
11-30-2005, 02:57 PM
This section of Appendix A is full of information for Gondor fans - and as the Silmarillion is primarily Elven "history", it is of interest even post-Sil publication. There is some overlapping with 'Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age' in the Sil and with the first two chapters of Part Three in the Unfinished Tales, but I have not had the time to compare them in detail. Perhaps some of you who are more familiar with those works can tell us which parts of the information here are unique.

I will not dwell on the names of kings and stewards in this introduction but would like to point out some interesting matters for discussion. We have childlessness mentioned as a sign of decay - Tolkien's emphasis of family obviously being important to him. The importance of sea power, with several great battles being fought against the sea power of Umbar, seems very English. After all, the island was a great sea power in its history.

The story of the Kin-strife is reminiscent of the Elven Kinslaying - how do they compare? How do they differ? What were the consequences?

When the direct line of the kings in Gondor died out, do you think Arvedui's claim was legitimate? Why was he rejected and Aragorn later accepted? What do you think would have been different had he united the kingdoms at that point? What does Malbeth's prophecy concerning him mean?

We read background information on the Witch-King, and this is where we find Glorfindel's prophecy concerning his death "not by the hand of man."

Does Eärnur remind you of Boromir, with his love for fighting more than for having a family?

I find it interesting to read that the Ruling Stewards hardened their hearts against any rumours of a King yet to come. Formally, they accepted the fact of their temporary function, but in fact, they were unwilling to give up their power well before Denethor came along.

We also read of Thorongil; his true identity is not actually revealed in the passage concerning him. The contrast between the two wizards Saruman and Gandalf plays a prominent part here - as does the difference between Boromir and Faramir. Finduilas' brief tale is told.

I'm very amused over a sarcastic phrase that Tolkien wrote almost at the end of this section: It did not seem possible to Faramir that any one in Gondor could rival Boromir, heir of Denethor... and of like mind was Boromir.
(my emphasis)

What do you find most interesting, most informative, and most important to you in this section?

Formendacil
11-30-2005, 03:20 PM
In some ways, the history of Gondor seems more realistic than the history of Arnor. Nephews take the throne when kings have no sons. The royal family dies out. Usurpers take the throne. Part of the kingdom is given away to newcomers. We are given a much clearer picture of villains such as Castimir, as well as greater portraits of power, such as Hyarmendacil I. The history of Gondor seems more varied than that of Arnor, yet at the same time Arnor is more truly emblematic of "good", in that it's people continue to fight the long defeat down through the years, while remaining true to their values and core principles (such as the propagation of Isildur's line).

The history of Gondor is also the history of Mordor. Pretty much anything that can be gleaned from it's annals regarding Mordor is what we know about Mordor in this era. The two are inextricably (hmm... did I make up a word?) tied. Whereas Arnor and Angmar are foes, and die together, Arnor continues to survive, and is not defined solely by its connection to Angmar, whereas Gondor's history is tied to that of Mordor. It's watch upon Mordor, it's failure to guard it, and it's subsequent wars with its minions are what marks its history most clearly.

The people of Arnor seem to be the more true heirs of the Faithful, of the Elendili of Numenor, but the people of Gondor have inherited the mantle of Sauron's opponent, and have become, almost, the new King's Men.

Okay... I have no idea where that came from, or where I am going with it, but I thought it interesting to compare the two kingdoms as we see them presented here.

davem
12-03-2005, 03:40 AM
(Doing me best....)

Gondor seems, even more than Arnor, to have continued the Numenorean ‘tradition’ of expansion & domination. Their motivation is pride, bordering on hubris. Their kings take on ‘nicknames’ like ‘’East Victor, commemorating their victories. We have to remember that these are dececendants of the ‘Faithful’, the ‘good guys’! Still, the impression we get is that no one is as good them - ‘good’ meaning powerful, awesome, ‘wise’. What we actually see is that Denethor & Boromir were not unique in any way. Faramir stands out strongly against his ancestors. We could set Aragorn & Faramir against Denethor & Bormir - the formerpersonify the Numenorean ideal, the latter the reality.

'For the high men of Gondor already looked askance at the Northmen among them; and it was a thing unheard of before that the heir to the crown, or any son of the King, should wed one of lesser and alien race.

This is interesting. It seems to reflect Faramir’s words about ‘High’, ‘Middle’ & lesser Men. The fact that wedding one ‘of lesser race’ is ‘unheard of’ reflects not only an attitude bordering on racism, but also an obsession with the past, with what had always been done. They clearly suffer from the Elvish fault of ‘moral superiority’ & lack of belief in the future - if it is impossible to go back to the way things were, then at least one must prevent change as much as one can - even if this incites civil war.

They even take pride in the achievements of Ar-Pharazon, who isaster upon them.

Though great evil had come after, even the followers of Elendil remembered with pride the coming of the great host of Ar-Pharazon out of the deeps of the Sea; and on the highest hill of the headland above the Haven they had set a great white pillar as a monument.

The fact that the return of Eldacar & the resulting ‘mingling’ of Numenorean blood with that of ‘lesser’ men is presented as a negative thing by the writer of these annals (obviously written in the early Fourth Age) should perhaps make us wonder about the ‘ideal’ realm ruled over by Elessar. This ’mingling’ continues the ‘decline’ of the Dunedain
:’no doubt it was due above all to Middle-earth itself, and to the slow withdrawing of the gifts of the Numenoreans after the downfall of the Land of the Star.’ The ‘gifts of the Numenoreans’ are being ‘withdrawn’ - but by whom? Middle-earth itself, apparently.

The Kin-strife reflects Gondor’s increasing, self-imposed, isolation, but one can’t help sympathising with them after seeing the mess the Arnorians made of their own realm. The whole history of the Numenoreans in Middle-earth seems to be one of infighting & fragmentation.

The most significant events related in this section both forshadow events in LotR proper - the coming of the Rohirrim & the battle with the Witch King. The former shows that Gondor is not completely isolationist in its thinking, the latter demonstrates the pride that repeatedly brings about disaster.

I have to say I found reading these histories to be quite depressing in a way. Why is Gondor held up throughout LotR as some kind of ideal realm, which must be saved at all costs. Its far from perfect. Is it merely the ‘lesser of two evils’? Of course, we can’t judge it fairly, I suppose, because throughout its history its been at constant war, but, like Boromir, who seems to symbolise it, it has always seemed to revel in the ‘glory’ it brings. Still, if Boromir is the ‘face’ of Gondor, Faramir is its heart, & that heart never stopped beating.

Guinevere
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
I wanted to post a reply here, but Esty and Davem have already covered every point ... :rolleyes: (and to Esty's questions I don't know the answers)
I find the history of Gondor very interesting, it has very much the feeling of real history. Even if not much described, some characters have my sympathy, like the handsome and valiant Eldacar (the son of Vidumavi and Valacar) who was the reason for the kinstrife. But I think it was only when reading U.T that I realized that those Northmen of Rhovanion were indeed the ancestors of the Rohirrim.
Evern after the "last" alliance, the Elves of the havens and Rivendell came to the help of Men, to fight against the Witch-king of Angmar! I was pleased to read some more about Glorfindel... :)
The tale of the Stewards is also very interesting. Much here made me think about the things Faramir tells to Frodo & Sam in Ithilien. Of special interest is the story of Thorongil und Denethor, and the childhood of Boromir and Faramir. These are like missing pieces of a puzzle to understand their characters better, and in my head all these informations are merged, so I have a feeling that they are real persons I know.
Being a mother of two lads I wonder a bit that there was "no jealousy or rivalry" between Boromir and Faramir. Specially because Tolkien wrote in a letter about Faramir that he had "a bossy brother"!! ;)
Btw do any of you know the childhood pictures of Boromir and Faramir by
Kasiopea (http://www.tolkien.com.pl/kasiopea/ang/tolkien1.htm) ?

Lalwendë
12-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Of special interest is the story of Thorongil und Denethor, and the childhood of Boromir and Faramir. These are like missing pieces of a puzzle to understand their characters better, and in my head all these informations are merged, so I have a feeling that they are real persons I know.
Being a mother of two lads I wonder a bit that there was "no jealousy or rivalry" between Boromir and Faramir. Specially because Tolkien wrote in a letter about Faramir that he had "a bossy brother"!!
Btw do any of you know the childhood pictures of Boromir and Faramir by
Kasiopea ?

I also like this part of the appendices for the background on Boromir and Faramir. I often think that even though Boromir had such a strong personality and was clearly very much favoured by his father, it does come through in the text itself that the brothers had a good relationship. Maybe it was one founded on mutual respect and understanding where they were both 'placed' within the relationship , almost as though they were a 'complement' to one another. Having had brothers with opposing personalities, I can see how it would be necessary for both to understand and respect one another; often the bossier one needs a calmer, more reflective 'half' to calm him down. :)

I love the illustrations you linked to by the way - I saw some of these at Tolkien 2005, and not only was I impressed by those of the Steward's family, but I especally like the illustration of Luthien and Huan as it's so bold.

One aspect of this part of the appendices that excites me is the mention of Kings who built and commanded navies. I'd love to read some more tales about this - and I think there has been an RPG on the theme here recently (must check out how this went). Yet this is all in the distant past - is it yet another example of how far the Gondorians had become stagnant and ceased to 'move on'?

Aiwendil
12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Maybe it was one founded on mutual respect and understanding where they were both 'placed' within the relationship , almost as though they were a 'complement' to one another.

This reminds me of a quote from "Myths Transformed" about Manwe and Melkor:

He [Melkor] was to make / devise / begin; Manwe (a little less great) was to improve, carry out, complete.

. . . which seems to hint at a similar complementarity between those two, the original brothers of Ea.