PDA

View Full Version : Frondo?

Angela
01-25-2002, 09:53 PM
I swear that when I was reading the first book...that Frodo was mistyped Frondo. At first I thought it was a different character...then I realized that it was mistyped... well...I was going to mark it down...but silly me thought I would remember where it was. Well...now I can't find it...and it is driving me nuts! I could have sworn it was either in Tom Bombadil or The Prancing Pony, but I can't find it! Maybe I was mistaken...or dreaming... but did anyone else ever see this? It was in the older book...not the new ones...if it makes a difference.
smilies/tongue.gif

Samwise
01-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Wow! Good eyes!
BTW, welcome to the 'Downs! smilies/smile.gif
~Your friendly neighborhood gardener.
"Eavesdropping!", cried the wizard. "To punish you properly for listening, you shall go away with Frodo."
"Me Sir!", cried Sam. "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray! "

Sindalómiel
01-25-2002, 11:24 PM
I didn't have a Frondo, but I've got an Isengrad a couple of times, and a Gandlaf.

Elanor
01-26-2002, 05:46 AM
Lol! I have some Isengrads too, and a Kirith Ungol. Haven't noticed Frondo though. My edition is from 1956.

Sindalómiel
01-27-2002, 06:12 AM
I now also have a Beegond. smilies/smile.gif

Angela
01-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Hmmm...I hope someone can prove me not to be crazy!

Thank you Samwise for the welcome!

Samwise
01-27-2002, 06:14 PM
Never a problem. smilies/smile.gif
Also, with all the other posts up there about the mistypes, I seriously doubt you're crazy. smilies/smile.gif "Well, I'm back."
Sam Gamgee

Sharkű
01-28-2002, 04:32 AM
I know that at least one edition (also the one the Wight himself has), this line of Gandalf: 'The victor would emerge stronger than either, and free from doubt' actually has < visitor > instead of < victor >...

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Sharku ]

Arwen daughter of Elrond
01-28-2002, 03:54 PM
smilies/biggrin.gif That's pretty funny! i love finding spelling errors when i read! I haven't noticed n e though. I have one edition of the fellowship that's kinda old, and the 2 towers and the return of the king i have the new ones. I'm reading the trilogy again cuz i skipped the boring parts, and when i read i'm gonna look for errors! smilies/biggrin.gif just goes to show u how much spare time i have! smilies/tongue.gif

Samwise
01-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Arwen daughter of Elrond, welcome to the Downs!
Hope you have fun! smilies/smile.gif
"Well, I'm back."
Sam Gamgee

Makayla
01-29-2002, 10:13 AM
OMG!I have had Frondo too!But I just thought "who cares" and kept on going.Now Im about to kill myself over it!I have also had a Aragarn.

Samwise
01-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Hello,Makayla, welcome. Enjoy your stay at the 'Downs!

Frodo and Sam walking across a feild: Sam stops.
Frodo: "Sam, what's the matter? "
Sam: "If I take another step, I'll be farther from home than I've ever been. "

Birdland
02-01-2002, 02:30 AM
I had to research one of the early, American editons of LOTR, to figure out the publishing date. One of the "clues" was: The Two Towers, page 18, paragraph 42 - Before 1959, "Aragorn" was spelled "Aragon".

You'd think after 47 years they'd finally get everything straight.

Elendur
02-01-2002, 03:35 PM
I also have Frondo in my book. I have the Ballantine Books edition of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I have noticed about 40 spelling mistakes. Not too bad.

Angela
02-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Thank God I'm not crazy! Yeah! Thats good to know... smilies/wink.gif

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell
02-16-2002, 09:19 PM
I have a Frondo! It's on the second page of the Council of Elrond, Where the phrase is 'Elrond drew Frodo' only instead of Frodo there's frondo...

I also have an Elrod in TTT and a Riverdell in RotK. they have 'n' problems. And there've been various other mistakes with or, of, and an/and, but hey, we're not perfect, right?

I seriously believe they took that n out of Elrond and put it in Frodo, though! smilies/cool.gif

Angela
02-17-2002, 04:49 PM
That's pretty darn funnie...

Elven-Maiden
02-18-2002, 04:46 PM
I found a few mistakes, but nothing too big. In one spot I found a Frodo talking to no one, and then replying. Later on, I figured out that it was supposed to Sam who talked.

ArwenBaggins
02-18-2002, 05:56 PM
I have Frondo 2! and itz also a brand-new book! itz on my page 269 of the FOTR.
it also has Peregin Tok on page ? (i cant find iy right now...)

*goes off looking for miss-spelled words in her books) smilies/tongue.gif

-Morrambaiel
daughter of Arwen and Aragorn

Aralaithiel
02-18-2002, 08:29 PM
I also have an "Elrod!" Glad to see the misplaced N mystery was solved!
I too enjoy finding errors in text. It is a source of enjoyment for me! If we can't laugh at ourselves, just what kind of people are we? smilies/smile.gif

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell
02-18-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Aralaithiel:
<STRONG>I also have an "Elrod!" Glad to see the misplaced N mystery was solved!
I too enjoy finding errors in text. It is a source of enjoyment for me! If we can't laugh at ourselves, just what kind of people are we? smilies/smile.gif</STRONG>

We are then people who cant laugh at ourselves.

is 'ourselves' even a word?? And you are the only other person i know who has an elrod. I thought it was hilarious, because it's in the phrase "House of Elrod" and I was like "Who the heck is Elrod?" and then I figured it out.
smilies/rolleyes.gif yeah i know i'm weird. smilies/smile.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

Samwise
02-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Hm. Haven't found any spelling mistakes yet, but then, I'm too busy getting reaquainted with the story to notice. smilies/smile.gif
"Eavesdropping!", cried the wizard. "To punish you properly for listening, you shall go away with Frodo."
"Me Sir!", cried Sam. "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray! "

Calencoire
07-02-2002, 06:36 PM
I've found a spelling mistake or two, but I can't remember where they are. I am too busy concentrating on the story!

akhtene
07-02-2002, 08:19 PM
I've got an Isengrad a couple of times
I love that !! Looks like an attempt to translate it into Russian!
Perhaps the publisher (or whoever there) has Russian roots? smilies/biggrin.gif

Laredith
07-03-2002, 01:37 PM
What? I have the new Ballantine books, and I can't find spelling mistakes. *Sighs* Maybe I just read too fast...

Amarantha Gamwich-Baggins
07-03-2002, 07:59 PM
hmm haven't noticed most of thoses, except:
and a Kirith Ungol.
You know I think I remember seeing that some where....maybe the book, but it might have been some where else.

Lindolirian
07-03-2002, 09:30 PM
In my book, Frodo stayed in the House of Elrod, the King of Rohan was Theden, and Gimli was from the Lovely Mountain. Each mistake was shown only once, so i wasn't too confused.

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
07-04-2002, 04:12 AM
Lol! The Lovely Mountain? I have had a Gandlaf and I got a Peregrin Tok too! Those crazy publishers... smilies/tongue.gif

Susan Delgado
07-08-2002, 12:49 AM
The Two Towers, page 18, paragraph 42 - Before 1959 Aragorn was Aragon

How is this, if it's copyright 1965, as it says in my book? (and I'm not reading from the "publishing history" smilies/rolleyes.gif )

I've probably seen a few arround, but I don't remember where. I think "Lovely Mountain" is the best though smilies/smile.gif

*Varda*
07-08-2002, 12:40 PM
<font color=white> Interesting...i never notice any mistakes! Maybe i get too absorbed in the book or maybe my copies are really rare and ACTUALLY have the RIGHT spelling of every word! They're quite snazzy copies which my dad got ages ago...it just means if i get a stain on it at all i'm dead... lol

~*Varda Elentari*~

Elgiva
07-08-2002, 03:19 PM
It's not quite the same maybe, but I looked at a French copy of Lord of the Rings and Frodo was 'Frodon' and Bilbo was 'Bilbon'! I've also seen a Galandriel somewhere or other...

Estelyn Telcontar
07-18-2002, 03:58 PM
My Ballantine's 1973 paperback has a "Beladonna Took" - only one "l". But much more interesting is a spelling mistake in one of Treebeard's conversations - in my book he says "We are not a nasty folk." Quite obviously, "hasty", not "nasty", is meant!! smilies/biggrin.gif

Lothiriel Silmarien
07-18-2002, 08:05 PM
I've gotten an Isengrad, a Kirith Ungol, a mispelled Aragorn and Pippin and Theoden. Oh, and I got a Gandlaf too!

cassiopeia
07-18-2002, 09:21 PM
In my edition, which I guess is the newest (the one with the Nazgul from the movie on the cover) there was a mistake. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was. So they still havn't got it right!

Nevfeniel
07-18-2002, 09:41 PM
I have that same edition, Cassiopeia (lovely name!) and I found a mistake. It's just a small misspelling, and it probably isn't that important (it's not a character's name or anything), but wagon is spelled 'waggon'. It's on page *runs up and down the stairs to find the book, then realizes she wrote it down and runs back up the stairs* 902 about half-way down the last paragraph. Whew.

ElfEarz
07-18-2002, 09:59 PM
hmmm nope never seen it. how wierd.

Samwise
07-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Sam: *waves* Hullo, cassiopeia !

Stacey: cassiopeia ...wow...reminds me of when I wanted to be an astronomer when I grew up....

Sam: http://www.plauder-smilies.de/sad/confusedpp.gif
"Just hold on a moment and I'll get my stuff!" cried Sam eagerly. "It's all ready. I thought we should be off today. "

*Varda*
07-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Ooh i found a mistake in FotR! Unfortunately I had faith in myself to remember it...and didn't. Oh well I'll check it out sometime. Don't want to trawl through the entire book to find it. Could have been Frodo related though. Stupid memory.

The Fifth
07-19-2002, 10:04 PM
I found a mistake; actually, two of them. One is "Aagorn" and the other "Frodon". Strange.

The Silver-shod Muse
07-21-2002, 03:23 PM
A friend of mine pronounces Aragorn "Aragon", and it always drives me crazy. Maybe she had the edition where it was misspelled like that.

*Varda*
07-21-2002, 05:05 PM
One of my friends also says Aragon. The other gives up trying to pronounce it at all. Also she called Gandalf Gandelf for a while. Also still convinced that Gandalf is dead...partly because of me...but she can't be bothered reading on for some reason so she might never find out.

I found a mistake in the appendixes though, instead of Eregion it was Ergion. Still trying to remember the frodo one though. actually it could have been pippin spelt pipin. Really not sure. It's midnight and my mind isn't working properly.