PDA

View Full Version : the ONE hobbit

Anorien
07-10-2002, 08:53 PM
I've never read The Hobbit. I started, but thought that it was boring to start with. Could someone tell me what is is about, so I can get what all these other threads are about? Should I read it? Or, was LOTR better?

Gimli Son Of Gloin
07-10-2002, 09:35 PM
They are very different. The Hobbit is geared towards a younger audience. Briefly, it goes like this.

Bilbo Baggins is a normal hobbit. One day thirteen dwarves and Gandalf come to his house. They embark on a quest to reclaim they're stolen gold from the dragon, Smaug. Along the way they have many adventures, and there is a big war at the end.

You definetly should read The Hobbit.

MY EIGHT HUNDRETH POST!!!! YAY!

Anorien
07-10-2002, 10:03 PM
So, why does Bilbo go along?

Gimli Son Of Gloin
07-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Rush of adrenaline.

Elendur
07-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Bilbo went along because Gandalf chose Bilbo out of all the hobbits in The Shire because he remembered him from earlier times when Bilbo was young and adventureous. I forgot Gandalfs exact motivation for picking Bilbo, but he knew that Bilbo would be important somehow. I would have to read the Edoras chaper in UT again to find out.

I think you should read The Hobbit. It is still my favorite book ever.

Anorien
07-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Well, why did they need a hobbit?

*Varda*
07-11-2002, 04:34 AM
<font color=white> To be a burglar. Also, Bilbo went along because Gandalf pretty much made him - didn't really give him much time to argue the matter anyway. Also, the point of the Hobbit is that Bilbo got the ring off Gollum, and otherwise Gollum would have been found fairly quickly perhaps by the enemy and Middle Earth would have fallen to bits. (and LotR would never have been written)

~*Varda Elentari*~

Gimli Son Of Gloin
07-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Which would have been a terrible disaster and crisis.

*Varda*
07-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Exactly Gimli. *faints at thought of a world without Lord of the Rings*

~*Varda Elentari*~

Anorien
07-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Hmmm...good point. I would die if that were the csase!

Raefindel
07-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Gandalf was good friends with the Old Took, who was, I think, Bilbo's Grandfather?? The Old Took was known for his adventures. Gandalf was looking for someone from the same stock, and chose Bilbo.

Child of the 7th Age
07-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Take a look at Lost Tales. Gandalf had known Bilbo when he was younger. He was a very adventurous hobbit and was always interested in Elves. But, as age crept up on Bilbo and he hit the big 50, he turned quite conventional. He spent all his time worrying whether his hobbit hole was just so and whether the meals were served at exactly the right time.

Gandalf knew that Bilbo needed a little push to get him out the door and put him back on the more inquisitive path he had been on when he was younger.

So, in addition to all the great cosmic reasons why Bilbo needed to secure the Ring and make way for the next book, he also needed to find himself and mature on a personal level. And this is exactly what happens in the Hobbit. Bilbo goes from being a fussy, conventional figure worried about losing his pocket handkerchief to being someone who conquors some very great fears, stands up for his friends, and makes some important moral choices. Not bad for a "children's book".

sharon, the 7th age hobbit