PDA

View Full Version : ## New LOTR Fantic Ebook Needs Help + 25 impossible LOTR related Questions.

blackrider
12-22-2001, 10:26 AM
Hi all,
I'm starting a ebook to carry on where LOTR left off and have already come up with some interesting storylines.

If you'd like to help out with the writing, consider yourself a good "tolkien ghostwriter" or think you might have some good storylines/character names/place names please email me at: markthehbbit@hotmail.com or leave a message/your suggestion(s) here. Thanks very much.

Also i have some questions and would really appreciate it if you could direct me to a website/chapter in a book. I need a MORE DETAILED account of the following things than the silmarillion and LOTR offers:

1. Saurons coming to be the dark lord in the 1st place. He was a Maiar.
2. Saurons drowning at Neumenor.
3. Gandalf's coming to be in middle-earth in 1st place. Who sent him, and why he couldn't do direct battle, but instead prompt Bilbo and Frodo along the way.
4. What Gandalf means by being "the servant of the secret fire". Is he special amung the Istari?
5. How Sauron escaped from the void when Melkor (Morgoth) could not.
6. Did Morgoth (predecessor to Sauron) have his own ring?
7. What is the "spindle ring"?
8. Why did the ring have no power over Tom Bombadil?
9. What is Tom Bombadil? Is he a (demi-) god? i.e. a Valar.
10. What is Goldberry? Is she Bombadil's "queen" (as is known to the Valier).
11. What other powers did the Silmarilli ('radiance of pure light') or Primeval Jewels have apart from the gift of light?
12. Why are there 2 different "breeds" of men (ie. the Numenoreans who live long and the normal men.)? As it is these to types breading that makes the surviving Numenoreans loose their traits of long life and strength.
13. Does anyone know of any complete timelines/chronologies for Middle Earth from the creation to the end of the 4th age? As so far i have only come across ones that cover LOTR.
14. Anyone know where there is a map of the world of the eldar days (before the burning of the 2 great torches)? And also one of the 4th age, after LOTR.
15. Where there any other breeds of Valaraukar? Belrogs were just one type.
16. If Sauron and Gandalf were of the same order - the Maiar (and thus respecfully the same "magical" power) how come Gandalf could not just destroy Sauron? And if not Gandalf surely the 5+ blue-wizards (Istari) could have together?
17. Similar to the above, How come the Valar couldn't destroy/banish Melkor at will?
18. Orcs were mutilated Elves, but how did Hobbits, Ents (tree-folk), Goblins and Trolls etc. etc. come into existance?
19. What are the names of the Maiar (the "people")?
20. What are the names of the 7 fathers of the Dwarves (Durin is one)?
21. Were there "Elven fathers" or were all the Elves in existance created at once?
22. Do elves not have children? As being immortal that could lead to over population. In that case how come Legolas etc looks younger than say Elrond?
23. Are there any other orders created by Eru other than the Valar and Maiar?
24. Did Melkor's original fortress in the mountains (Utumno) become what is known as Mordor's Minas Morgul (which is actually a tower, but i'm guessing it might be built on the same location)?

Thanks,
Mark.

markthehobbit@hotmail.com

Orald
12-23-2001, 12:13 AM
Well, reading Silm and LotR appendices would help answer a lot of those questions, and if that is not enough for you, there is Unfinished Tales and all of the History of Middle Earth books(12) 25 questions is a bit much, maybe you should read some/most/or all of those books or at least the ones dealing with what you wish to write about, then if you still have questions, which you very well may have, then everyone here at the Downs would be more than happy to discuss them with you.

But for starters, I will answer a couple. 5 6 and how about 15. Sauron was never cast into the Void, so he didn't have to escape it, and Morgoth did not have a ring, at least not similar to the kinds made by Sauron and the Elves.

Balrogs is just a corrupted form of the word Valaraukar. When the Elves were sundered the Sindar went one way with the language and the others went another, or more appropriately, I guess, stuck to the originally language more closely. There were only 7 Balrogs. Originally they were Maia but were also spirits of fire, of which there is at least one other, Arien, who guides the Sun.

Legolas
12-29-2001, 09:47 PM
Just a note I thought was important...Gandalf was of the Istari order. The classification of Maiar is not an order, just a division.

Legolas
12-29-2001, 09:51 PM
Also - Elves can have children. A well-known example would be Celeborn and Galadriel who had Celebrķan, Elrond's wife. Elrond (though he was half-Elven) and Celebrķan had Arwen, Elladan, and Elrohir.

Elendur
12-30-2001, 02:11 AM
Listen to Durelen. Read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of The Middle Earth, Letters By Tolkien, and Drawings by Tolkien.

That will narrow the amount of questions you have.