PDA

View Full Version : Elves

Urwen
07-22-2010, 11:40 AM
This question popped up in my head. Why haven't elves under Gil-Galad aided

Miriel and the Faithful in owerthrowing her husband? I mean,come on,wouldn't they be happier to have a Faithful queen than a bloodthirsty tyrant and his treacherous Maia counsellor?!

Come on...

Rumil
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Urwen,

Off the top of my head as well....

I don't think Gil Galad had the power, in terms of fleets and armies, to do anything about the events in Numenor. Ar Pharazon's later fleet was the most powerful that had ever been seen in Middle Earth, so I think the elven swan-ships would have been comprehensively defeated had they ever tried to fight Numenor on the high seas. Also Sauron was totally over-matched by Ar Pharazon's land forces, so there's not much the elves could have done.

The elves were banned from visiting Numenor by the 'Kings' Men' party iirc, so covert help would have been difficult as well, though elves sometimes came secretly to visit the 'Faithful'. No doubt they were horrified by any tales of Sauron's infiltration of the Numenorean establishment, but practically powerless to prevent it.

Urwen
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Officially,I think it was Ar-Sakalthor's fault. Were it not for his son's favour of his younger grandson, then his great-granddaughter would have ruled,like she was supposed to!:mad:

P.S. Maybe I could change Pharazon's ascend to throne. If you allow me to start a Men hurt heal edition,I know I could change the history!

Eönwë
07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
P.S. Maybe I could change Pharazon's ascend to throne.

Really? Another "Did Maedhros kill Laughter" kind of thread? Are you sure that's what we need?

satansaloser2005
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
If you allow me to start a Men hurt heal edition,I know I could change the history!

No really, you won't. You'll just prove that one character is more well-liked by a very specific group of fans. You won't change anything in actual canon, nor likely anyone's minds about it. I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way.

In regards to your question, the answer is quite simple, if rather meta. They didn't follow your suggestion because, believe it or not, Tolkien didn't want them to do so.

Mithalwen
07-24-2010, 05:39 AM
This question popped up in my head. Why haven't elves under Gil-Galad aided Miriel and the Faithful in owerthrowing her husband? I mean,come on,wouldn't they be happier to have a Faithful queen than a bloodthirsty tyrant and his treacherous Maia counsellor?!

Come on...

Probably but we can see from our current affairs that it is far from simple for an outside country to orchestrate the overthrow of a tyrant even if they have superior power and believe they have the right to intervene.... which is a huge issue in itself. The elves were chary and with good reason of meddling in the affairs of mortals and I doubt that they would have wanted to or feel entitled to play "policeman on the world stage" to use a modern expression.