PDA

View Full Version : Moriquendi?

Niere-Teleliniel
05-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Okay, I'm going to swallow my pride and ask if anyone can give me info on the Moriquendi. I'm too busy (and lazy smilies/smile.gif) to read the Silm right now, and my copy of The New Tolkien Companion hasn't arrived yet. I'm in the middle of a RPG and need this info for a character ASAP. Thanx!!

piosenniel
05-02-2002, 08:22 PM
all the elves that did not return across the sea when the Valar summoned them were termed Moriquendi (the elves who stayed in the darkness) or later called the Avari (the Unwilling, or the Refusers).

the Silmarillion is a great book -- and it is possible to read it in small portions!!

Thalionyulma
05-03-2002, 05:38 AM
The Moriquendi are the elves who never saw the Two Trees' light (hence their name of course, elves of darkness). I believe the story goes that when the first elves awoke at Cuivenen (sorry forgot spelling), the Valar summoned them to Valinor. Unfortunately Melkor (who found out first about their awakening) was able to waylay some, sowing terror. (From this tale, it was said that Melkor corrupted some captured elves and they became orcs, nemesis to the elves).
That's way some elves did not heed the call and never came to Valinor.

From the Moriquendi branched the Avari (the "Unwilling"), the Nandor, among several.

There's a chart in the index of the Sil that shows their sundering. smilies/biggrin.gif

Hey, your RPG sounds interesting, will it be in BD or another site? Can I join in once it you've got it all together? I am trying to come up with one with Beleriand as the setting after the exile... kinda stuck still actually smilies/mad.gif

Niere-Teleliniel
05-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanx a ton both of you! Perhaps once school ends I'll have more time for reading!

Thalionyulma, my RPG is one Airetalathwen, Elf-herself and I have created on our own site. Email me at niereteleliniel@yahoo.com if you want more info (we really need more people!)

Tarthang
05-04-2002, 04:39 AM
The copy of the Silm that I have has a chart in the Appendixes that shows the relations of the different branches of elves. FYI the Sindar are Teleri who stayed in Beleriand. The Nandor left the great march prior to reaching the misty mountains and the Laiquendi are offshoot of the Nandor who settled in Ossiriand. All three groups make up Umanyar (Eldar who were not of Aman). So the Umanyar in combination with the Avari (those who ignored the Valar's call to come to Aman) make up the Moriquendi or Elves of Darkness.
So good luck with your RPG.