PDA

View Full Version : Stone King

Sophia the Thunder Mistress
03-17-2003, 02:55 PM
I think that one of the most amazing descriptions in Tolkien's writings is of the stone king that Frodo and Sam find in Ithilien. I absolutely love the imagery of the crown of flowers touched by the sun growing on the defaced statue.

I wondered if anyone had interpretations of what Tolkien meant by that scene, or if he said anything about it in his letters (which unfortunately, I don't have access to). I've always taken it as another embodiment of his theme that beautiful things are sometimes more beautiful when faded, but I've been thinking and I wondered if anyone had other interpretations. Other favorite descriptions are fun too...

Iarwain
03-17-2003, 08:53 PM
I believe that the stone king in some way symbolizes the fallen rule of the kings of Gondor. When Aragorn comes to the crossroads in command of the army, it is therefore significant that they repair the head of the king and clean it of all dishonors.

I agree that it is one of the most beautiful descriptions that Tolkien provides. It almost makes one feel sorry for this fallen sculpture of a fallen kingdom in fallen times that has fallen amidst such disrespect.

Iarwain

Meoshi
03-17-2003, 08:55 PM
And yet received respect. As the flowers show, even nature acknowledges the rightful rule of the line of Elendil. smilies/cool.gif

Silmarien
03-21-2003, 08:50 PM
wow I thought I was the only one who loved that bit. I think the flowers growing into a crown is just... it just gives me a feeling of ambivilance, it makes me feel so sad and joyful at the same time. I think it's an example of beauty triumphing.

Iarwain
03-21-2003, 09:31 PM
An interesting thought I had on reading your post, Silmarien. The stone king is very much like the exiled noldor in that way, they fought, they suffered, and yet they became all the more wise and beautiful because of it. Wisdom seems to do that, I've always loved that image of the wise, sad king. It makes me feel so, well, this may sound strange but it almost makes me feel fulfilled. Hm.

Thoughtfully,
Iarwain

Diamond18
03-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Quite. That scene brought actual tears to my eyes one of the times I read it. Caught me in just the right mood, you might say.

I found the flowers to be a much needed glimmer of hope preceding some of the darkest passages in the whole book. Being at the crossroads as it was, it signaled to me that it would be the last bit of beauty they would see until their quest was fulfilled.

03-21-2003, 11:08 PM
*Smiling one of those almost sad smiles* I'm glad you guys feel the same about that scene as I do... like I said above, it seems to fit in with Tolkien's theme that even when fading beautiful things still possesss dignity and beauty. I guess that goes along with Iarwain's description of the Noldor, they were diminished in a way, in MiddleEarth, but they were still wise and lovely.

Silmarien
03-22-2003, 07:19 PM
I just remebered the bit I like best where the sun going down comes out from beneath the murk put out by Sauron and shines on the face of the old king. I feel it's kind of like he's going to come up again a sort of reference to Aragorn. What do the rest of you think?

Luthien_ Tinuviel
03-22-2003, 08:20 PM
That sounds pretty accurate to me. The symbolism of Aragorn and the stone king is very cool. smilies/cool.gif

Lindril Arvilya
03-23-2003, 01:10 PM
We need a smiley face that's smiling with tears coming down it's face. I think everyone would have used it on this thread.

03-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, it reminds me about that thread I saw somewhere about "eucatastrophe"...it was a really good thread, I wish I knew how to make links on here. *frustration* But I think this is one of those soul-piercing joy moments that Tolkien defined as "eucatastrophe".