PDA

View Full Version : how big were the silmarils

Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli
09-05-2002, 05:29 PM
The first time I read the Silmarion, i imagined the silmarils as being quite large. About as big as an orange or apple.

After reading the silmarion anumber of times more, i noticed something indicative of their size.
When Beren takes a silmaril from Morgoth, he can fit his hold hand around it (which is how it is found in the stomack of the wolf Carcharoth).
Also Earendil wears the silmaril on his brow by means of a fillit or circlet (i think). If the silmaril was as large as i originally thought, this would be impossible.

This made me imagine it as quite small, like a normal sized diamond or other jewel. But i just don't like that, and my mind refuses to picture it like that. Now i at least picture it as big as a table tennis ball.

Is it still too big?
Would it be possible to wear it on your brow at this size?
Does anyone else have my problem!!??
What size did you picture the silmarils?

Manwe Sulimo
09-05-2002, 06:00 PM
I always imagined the Silmarils as about the size of a quarter (about 2 inches in diameter or so). This would make it possible to fit on a circlet, in a necklace (the Nauglimir), but still large enough for all three of them to dominate Morgoth's crown.

Guildo
09-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Becouse their power was Supernatural so to speak, not unlike the one ring im pretty sure the size of the Silmarils where adaptable in a sense according to the power and size of the bearer, like when they where set uppon morgoth's crown probably about the size of a baseball or softfall enough for Beren to get a good grip and not let go but when the set in the Nauglamir probably the size of a quarter.

but thats just my two lembas worth

Arie
09-05-2002, 07:01 PM
...Well the jewels should be small enough to fit on to a crown...well I always thought they were small-remember when one was on Earendil's brow-and then when it was on Morgoth's crown?

Morgoth Bauglir
09-05-2002, 07:26 PM
i thought they were the size of a ring.

Morquesse
09-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Does anyone else have my problem!!??
Yes! (but then, it would OUR problem, not yours) I picture them between the size of an apple and the size of a plum, but still too big to put on Earendil's brow! Or maybe not? Who knows. smilies/rolleyes.gif
~M

Eol
09-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Well it can still be a size of a tennis ball and be worn around the neck. A pretty impress jem would you not agree?

Tirned Tinnu
09-06-2002, 05:01 AM
I confess, I never thought about the difference of sizing when Thingol used one in The Nauglamir, or when Earandil placed it on his brow! I am indeed puzzled by that. Perhaps we are looking at it from the wrong perspective. What if the gems were more ovular in nature, and flatter? I direct you to look at the work of Nordic and Irish jewelry. There you will see that gems were cut nearly flat on two sides, in order to facilitate their being set in brooches, crowns, and bracelets.

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]

O'Boile
09-06-2002, 07:26 AM
I always thought they would be a little smaller than a plum or a raquet ball, but that was just what I envisioned. I really have no basis for drawing that conclusion.

mark12_30
09-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Does anybody else remember reading that they were the size of an egg? Check Mith's fanfic, Maglor (the drunken elf) has the burn mark in his hand, and Mith describes it. Tales from Tol Eressea, chapter three or four?

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

lathspell
09-06-2002, 08:29 AM
I believe I read that Feanor wore all three of them at special opportunities on Aman, when he had made them a short while earlier. I do not know if they were all on his brow, but I picture them quite small.

greetings,
lathspell

mark12_30
09-06-2002, 08:32 AM
Watch me quote Mithadan as if he was CANON!!!! (demonic laughter) Actually this comes from Tales From Tol Eressea, Chapter 3. But I think the Proffessor also said they were the size of an egg. (And oh yeah, Mithadan is usually pretty careful.)

Maglor's voice shook again and a mad light appeared in his eyes. "Wouldst thou behold a Silmaril Ælfwine?" he cried. And he opened his hands and held them palms forward. Graven on each palm as if seared by a brand was the impression of an oval jewel of the size of an egg.

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

Eol
09-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Hmmm...interesting, as that would make sense.Though I also think the concept of them being ovular in nature and later fashioned to be worn also make sense.

Mithadan
09-06-2002, 10:03 AM
My description of the shape and size of the Silmarils in Tales from Tol Eressea is from my own imagination. In fact, my personal vision of the jewels has changed over time. When I first read the Silmarillion, I imagined them to be unfaceted and round or oval. Later I viewed them as faceted oval cabochons (rounded on one side, slightly flattened on the other). As for size, I always viewed them as being similar to a small egg, about 80 carats or a bit more -- much larger than stones found typically in jewelry but smaller than, say, the Arkenstone (which I thought would be between the size of a baseball and a softball). This would be small enough for all three to be worn on Feanor's brows.

I have a vague recollection of JRRT comparing them to an egg somewhere, perhaps in Letters, but am not sure. I also seem to recall them referred to as cabochons, maybe in Lays of Beleriand, but they were definitely referred to as "globes", Lay of Leithian, line 1642. This description is found in the poetic version of the Oath of Feanor, which was later changed and the "globe" reference omitted. They are also referred to as "globes" in the abandoned poem, The Flight of the Noldoli from Valinor.