PDA

View Full Version : The Rings Of Power

Findorfin
04-05-2001, 07:27 AM
<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
We all no the inscription on the One ring but who were the Dwarven rings given too and what happened to them ?

Come to think of that who were the Nazgul before they became....well....Nazgul. I know they were great lords but what were their names and such.

Yet another question. You were the three Elven rings originally given to.

And just one more......they were made in Eregion but where is that ?

Hope someone can help me?

PS - I osted this on Entmoot as well!!!

Findorfin = Fuor 'Three Rings for Elven-Kings under the sky'</p>

Mithadan
04-05-2001, 07:51 AM
<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
Re: The Rings Of Power

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs!

The Seven were eventually given to the dwarves by Sauron if I recall. We know one came into the possession of Durin's line and we can presume that one went to each house of the Dwarves, but know no more than that.

Of the Nazgul, we only know the name of one, Khamul. Other names were &quot;invented&quot; by ICE, a role playing game company, but are not from JRRT. We no no more of the names or history of the Nazgul before they received their Rings than what you have stated and the name Khamul.

We do not know who originally possessed the Three (presumably Celebrimbor and/or other Noldorin elves). They were given by Celebrimbor to Gil-Galad, Cirdan and Galadriel. Eregion was a Noldorin kingdom just west of the Misty Mountains in the area of Redhorn Pass and the West Gate of Moria.

Hope this helps.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000004>Mithadan</A> at: 4/5/01 9:52:43 am

Findorfin
04-05-2001, 08:04 AM
<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased

Thanks Mithadan. perhaps I should start this thread in the 'bits you want elaborated down the bottoim of thew books section?

Those Dwarf houses you're on about. Are they the same as the 7 dwarf houses originally created by Aule?

Where were there places of residence? Does anyone know.

'Three Rings for Elven-Kings under the sky'</p>

lindil
04-05-2001, 08:15 AM
<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path

For more on Dwarves [names of the seven hgouses and some of the residences - I don't think we hear of all 7] see the long and fascinating Essay 'On Dwarves and Men' in Peoples of M-E [HoME 12] It is more than i haver time to elaborate on now , but if oyu do not have access, I am sure someone [ or myself at alater time] can post soem of it.
The origin of 2 of the wring wratiths [3?] is stated somewhere i just read [UT?] [Of the Rings of Power...? ] as being Black numenorean from well before the Fall of Numenor.

there are in the archives a few interesting threads on the 3 rings which might be interesting to you . Welcome to the Downs Findorfin-

Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working on a new Elven/Christian discussion board<a href="http://beta.ezboard.com/bosanwekenta" >Osanwe-Kenta</a> 'The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night, and awaken early before dawn- exchanging lore and wisdom such as they possessed , so that they should not fall back into the mean and low estate of those , who never knew or more sadly still, had indeed rebelled against the Light.' </p>

Orald
04-05-2001, 10:20 AM
<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shadow of Malice

AH-HA! I caught Mithadan in a technicallity. Two of the elven rings were enrusted to Gil-Galad, and then Gil-Galad gave one to Cirdan.

Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p>

Legolas
12-29-2001, 08:54 PM
Nenya was given to Galadriel; Vilya was given to Gil-Galad, and passed to Elrond when Rivendell was founded; and I thought Narya was given directly to Cirdan and then to Gandalf - but you say it was borne by Gil-Galad first?

I'm new here...is this the information you were interested in or is it just kind of common knowledge? Thanks.

Also...nice to be here.

Elrian
12-30-2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Durelen:
<STRONG><font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shadow of Malice

AH-HA! I caught Mithadan in a technicallity. Two of the elven rings were enrusted to Gil-Galad, and then Gil-Galad gave one to Cirdan.

Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil be good to have been.</p></STRONG>

That's not in the Sil or LOTR or Unfinished tales. Where did you see this at Durelen?

Fenrir
12-30-2001, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by lindil:
Black numenorean from well before the Fall of Numenor

I'm not sure if real black numenorians existed before the fall of Numenor. It's possible that either they're from a line of the Edain that stayed in Middle Earth, or that they were persuaded by Sauron to leave Numenor.
The Lord of the Nazgul and a couple of others, maybe including Gothmog who was second in command of the Tower of Minas Morgul, were descended from the Edain. I read in "Tolkien, Master of Middle Earth" that tLotN did not go to Numenor but since the author, Paul Rocher, did not back it up with evidence from Tolkien I can still only speculate.
The only other thing I know is that Khamul was an Easterling.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Legolas
12-30-2001, 11:47 AM
So...Cirdan was given the ring directly after its creation, like I originally thought?

Tar Elenion
12-30-2001, 03:13 PM
In UT, History of Galadriel and Celeborn, it is written: "Celebrimbor followed her counsel that the Ring of Air and Ring of Fire should be sent out of Eregion; and he entrusted them to Gil-galad in Lindon. (It is said here that at this time Gil-galad gave Narya, the Red Ring, to Cirdan Lord of the Havens, but later in the narrative there is a marginal note that he kept it himself until he set out for the War of the Last Alliance.)".

Legolas
12-31-2001, 10:25 AM
Ah, thanks!

Eonwe
01-06-2002, 06:49 PM
The Witch-King headed the Ringwraiths, until his death. Then his second, Khamul took over until all the ringwraiths were destroyed in the wreck of Sauron.
Khamul is named in the books, see the article about him.
Fuinor and Herumor are two other ringwraiths named in the Silmarillion, "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age". They were "black Numenoreans", some of many who had been turned to Sauron while he sojourned among them. These two, among others, escaped the sinking of Numenor by sailing to Middle-earth, where they rose to become Lords of the Herudrim.

Maédhros
01-07-2002, 11:31 AM
I believe it is also written somewhere (UT, maybe?) that the seven rings given to the dwarves were likely the beginning of the seven great dwarven hordes of treasure. Now, if we could only figure out what those were.

Fenrir
01-07-2002, 11:42 AM
Fuinor and Herumor were never ringwraiths, just Lords of the Black Numenoreans. The Nazgul had appeared before the Downfall of Numenor.