PDA

View Full Version : Did Merry Have Children?

Frodo Baggins
09-11-2002, 08:22 AM
We are all familliar with the thirteen children of Master Samwise, and Pippin's son Faramir who married one of Sam's daughters. I wonder sometimes, Did Merry and his wife Estella ever have children?? If they did why are they not recorded in the family trees?? Please help.

lathspell
09-11-2002, 09:58 AM
I checked some sites and searched for a notion about Merry and his children... There are none.

I even found a site, where there's a quote from Tolkien, in which he said that Merry was the 'gayest' hobbit in the Fellowship.

greetings,
lathspell

Frodo Baggins
09-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Har har lathspell. Very funny. Tolkien meant 'gay' as in happy, joyful, or jolly.
Another translation of his name (Kalimac) means 'jolly'. You silly humans assume too much.

Gayalondiel
09-11-2002, 03:25 PM
1484... Meriadoc was the old (102) but still hale. He took counsel with his friend the Thain, and soon after they handed over their goods and offices to their sons and rode away over the Sarn Ford, and they were not seen again in the Shire.
~ LoTR Appendix B; The Tale of Years (Later Events Concerning the Fellowship).

Note the plural here: their sons. Firstly the Family trees only give Pippin one son, but in any case he can't hand over his office to more than one of his sons. So this passage suggests that Merry did indeed have at least one son.

lathspell
09-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Frodo Baggins, I say to you again:
Think before you speak. I am not human, I am Istari :P

But I guess you were right. smilies/wink.gif

greetings,
lathspell