PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hurin

Anarya SilverBranch
04-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Alright, I was reading the tale of Turin for the first time (I know I'm wierd) but got confused with what happened to Hurin,

And taking Hurin back to Angband he set him in a chair of stone upon a high place of Thangorodrim, from which he could see afar the land of Hithlum in the west and the lands of Beleriand in the south. There he was bound by the power of Morgoth; and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again and set his power upon him, so that he could not move from that place, nor die, until Morgoth should release him- Pg. 72 The Unfinished Tales

I don't get it! Does that mean that poor Hurin is still there or something? It probably says later in the story and I haven't just gotten there yet but I was just confused about that. But I mean since Morgoth was destroyed wouldn't that make it a really bad situation for Hurin? Where is the high place of Thangorodrim anyway?

Turambar
04-08-2002, 06:09 PM
He's ultimately released; the story - which is as sad as they get - is in The Ruin of Doriath chapter I believe.

Anarya SilverBranch
04-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Is he like alive when he is finally released?
Actually you know what, never mind I'll read it myself. Thanx for answering my question though, I was really confused with that.

Fingolfin of the Noldor
04-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Yes he was alive. Tolkien went into some detail during his of the tradition entitled: "The Wanderings of Hurin" which was published in HoME XI. Alas he never finished it and it basically ends at the end of the destruction of the settlement at Brethil smilies/frown.gif

Mhoram
04-08-2002, 11:02 PM
AAHHHHHHHH!!!! DON'T TELL HER!! Jeezzzz!