PDA

View Full Version : Gollum's Journey

avarerniliel
03-28-2002, 12:35 PM
In the TTT it said that Gollum had been to Mordor before, as he was acting as their guide. My question is, when did he go into Mordor, and have the time to explore it and know all the nooks and crannies of it? But mostly when. All I can gather about Gollum's life is that he once lived in the Shire, got the ring, and went to the Misty Mountains. As far as I know, he lived in the Misty Mountains his whole life until he was taken to Mirkwood, and eventually to Isengard. Can someone help clear up this mystery for me?

VanimaEdhel
03-28-2002, 03:42 PM
In Lord of the Rings, they do give a pretty in-depth account of Gollum's life, if you recall. I believe it was in "FotR" that it is explained. Gollum (as Smeagol) did not live IN the Shire I did not think. He lived in the woods near a river.

Anyway: if you don't know the story, just read the book...and let me go find where it is for you in the book...

Okay: it is in chapter two...in my book page 62 it starts...it starts with:
Long after, but still very long ago...
Gandalf is telling Frodo the story of the ring. They lived on the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland...near the Gladden Fields apparently. For the rest of the chapter, they tell the story of Gollum (broken up by other conversation and information). It tells basically Smeagol's whole life story. Happy reading!

Jessica Jade
03-28-2002, 04:20 PM
Gollum nver lived in the shire, and he certainly never went to Isengard! AFfter Bilbo took the Ring, he, unable to be free from the desire of it, soon came out of his cave in the Misty Mts. to search for it. He wandered around Mirkwood somewhere and was captured and taken to Mordor, where he was tortured by Sauron. Read the full account in Fellowship, chaper two (The Shadow of the Past.) ::sigh:: poor, wretched Gollum..he's the character that continues to haunt the imaginations of the readers.

Elven-Maiden
03-28-2002, 04:26 PM
When he escaped from Mordor, he had to find the safest route, and that's the way he took Frodo and Sam.

Birdland
03-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Of course, it's strongly suggested that he was allowed to "escape" from Mordor, the theory being that he would show Sauron where the Ring was hidden while searching for it himself.

Orodhromeus
04-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Sméagol was a Hobbit living with others of his kind before they moved West in Eriador to what became the Shire. He lived East of the Misty Mountains, near the Anduin & the Gladden Fields. When he found the Ring, he hid in the Misty Mountains. Then after Bilbo took It, he wandered & was caught by Sauron's servants. Brought to Mordor, he was tortured & allowed to escape through Cirith Ungol (because Sauron hoped he'd lead him to the Ring), acquainting & 'befriending' with Shelob along the way. He passed through the Dead Marshes & was caught by Aragorn, who surrendered him to the elves of Mirkwood. He escaped from them in quest for the Ring. You know the rest.

He never went to Isengard & probably never visited the Shire either.

Michael Baggins
04-02-2002, 11:47 AM
I'll have to say, while reading the book for the first time I was hoping that once the ring was destroyed that Gollum would turn back into a Hobbit, when they showed glimpses of him being civil I thought it was heading toward that. I was disappointed when Gollum died.

Variag of Khand
04-02-2002, 05:00 PM
The only bit to add to Gollum's travels is that after escaping from Mirkwood, he went and hid in Moria. He tried to go all the way through to the West Gate, but couldn't open the doors (they were too heavy). He was therefore very lucky (or rather it was fortuitous) that the Fellowship came that way, just as Gollum was stuck!

Asmiley
04-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Wait a minute then how did he know about shelob? I mean It sounded as if he had gotten to know her rather well. smilies/confused.gif As if for a long time.

Orodhromeus
04-09-2002, 07:55 AM
Gollum probably met her (sorry, Her) when he was first allowed to escape from Mordor. He promised her to bring her more food probably at that time. Maybe he did bring her food from then on, as he was witnessed entering Cirith Ungol some times (re: Shagrat & Gorbag's talk), and grew more and more accustomed to her. Until he brought her Frodo & Sam.