PDA

View Full Version : Worship rituals for illuvatar

tinewelt
07-27-2003, 08:49 PM
in the unfinished tales, in "a description of Numenor", this passage is mentioned. Near to the centre of the Mittalmar stood the tall mountain called Meneltarma, Pillar of the Heavens, sacred to the worship of Eru Illuvatar. here is another quote, further into the text.

Thrice only in each year the King spoke, offering prayer for the coming year at the Erukyerme in the first days of spring, praise of Eru Illuvatar at the Erulaitale in midsummer, and thanksgiving to him at the Eruhantale at the end of autumn. At the se times the King ascended the mountain on foot followed by a great concourse of the people, clad in white and garlanded, but silent. yet, another

but it is said that the silence was so great that even a stranger ignorant of Numenor and all its history, if he were transported thither, would not have dared to speak aloud. No bird ever came there, save only eagles. If anyone approached the summit, at once three eagles would appear and alight upon three rocks near to the western edge: but at the times of the Three Prayers they did not descend, remaining in the sky and hovering above the people. They were called the Witnesses of Manwe, and they were believed to be sent by him from Aman to keep watch upon the Holy Mountain and upon all the land

these quotes all have a reference of religous rituals and overtones. What were some of the other significant rituals and religous ceremonies performed during this time... but more importantly is there any text anywhere concerning the religous practice of men in the latter third age. (Rohan, Gondor, ect.) Types of alters, buildings... did they have priests or elected "holy men". I am guessing that it might have been set up similar to that of the mideval period, which is a period that Tolkien obviously bases much of his ideas on when he was writing these stories. Also, if anyone knows, how does the rituals of Men differ from that of the Elves? Any ideas or text to help out would be greatly appreciated. smilies/smile.gif

Lhunardawen
07-27-2003, 10:07 PM
I happened to notice after reading that part of Unfinished Tales (which I read after LotR), that no references, or none that I have seen, are mentioned about Iluvatar or worship for him after the downfall of Numenor. Even the Line of the Kings after Elendil seem not to have paid tribute to Iluvatar. Or maybe I'm gravely mistaken. smilies/smile.gif

Sharkû
07-28-2003, 12:41 AM
"I have purposely kept all allusions to the highest matters down to mere hints, perceptible only by the most attentive, or kept them under unexplained symbolic forms. So God and the 'angelic' gods, the Lords or Powers of the West, only peep through in such places as Gandalf's conversation with Frodo: 'behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker's' ; or in Faramir's Númenórean grace at dinner." (Letter 156)

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Sharkû ]

tinewelt
07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Thank you Sharku for the quotation of the letter, I really need to get copies of all of them. smilies/rolleyes.gif But, does anyone know of any other instance or story given in any of the written books? ( not the letters or essays explaining such...) examples such as the passage I quoted from unfinished tales? I am looking for tales or stories told from characters in the books, and not tolkien himself. Thanks again Sharku smilies/smile.gif

~Namarie~

Yavanna228
07-28-2003, 03:47 PM
In the Silm, there are fleeting references to the Numenoreans who went to Meneltarma at the 'appointed seasons' to worship Iluvatar, and it is also said that the Faithful 'kept Iluvatar in their hearts.' These particular references are from the Akallabeth. Other than that, and what Sharku has pointed out, I have no instances that I can recall from memory from the other books of any sort of worship rituals or holy peoples.
Perhaps religion was left out of Tolkien's works deliberately because he did not want to start a cult, as Sharku's quote alludes to. Being a devout Catholic, I doubt that Tolkien would have wanted to be responsible for drawing people away from what he considered the true way by adding details of the religious practices of ME.

Finwe
07-29-2003, 08:10 AM
The Numenoreans were the only documented people who had "rituals," per se. But I'm sure that other people, especially the Men of Darkness, worshipped Sauron and/or Morgoth in their own ways. We never really hear about them, because it wasn't really necessary to the story. Perhaps the Rohirrim "prayed" occasionally to Oromë (as Bema) but I don't think that they had rituals and everything.

Estelyn Telcontar
08-01-2003, 03:02 PM
There is an interesting conversation between a human woman and a male Elf in HoME 10 - the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth - that tells of the Hope (capitals are Tolkien's) that Eru may enter Arda, i.e. become incarnate. I highly recommend reading it, though it concerns beliefs, not rituals.

Yavanna228
08-01-2003, 03:04 PM
that tells of the Hope (capitals are Tolkien's) that Eru may enter Arda, i.e. become incarnate
And they say Tolkien's works were not an allegory. smilies/wink.gif
Just kidding. I'm literate enough to know that alot of cultures looked for their gods to come to them in human form. smilies/smile.gif
Peace

Gilthalion
08-01-2003, 04:45 PM
"...hints..."

Sam says "Lor' bless..." or something to that effect in Book One of FOTR, early on it seems to my memory.

Sam's epiphany in Mordor regarding "highest matters" may also seem significant.

I recommend reading the final part of Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories" fromt the Tolkien Reader for his profound thoughts on the grand connection between his Faith and Fairy Stories.