PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think the members of the fellowship were during "The Hobbit"?

Thalimenel
08-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Where do you think that the other members of the fellowship were when Smaug attacked lake-town? Or when the battle of 5 amries took place?

Novlamothien
08-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Legolas was hanging around his father's house, or something. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the Battle.
Aragorn was ten, and hanging out in Rivendell.
none of the hobbits were born yet, and their parents were children.
Pippin's father was 8.
Sam's father was 15.
Frodo's father was around the same age
Pippin's father was around the same age
Boromir wasn't born yet either, and Denethor was 11.

Gimli was in his 60's, and presumibly hanging out with the rest of the Erebor exiles, waiting for Thorin & co to get rid of that pesky dragon Smaug.
Gandalf was wandering around doing something, we just don't know what.

I hope that is what you are looking for, you can find more info in the Appendices of ROTK.

Namarie

Finwe
08-06-2003, 10:25 AM
I know that Gimli wanted to go along too with the Quest of Erebor, but in Dwarf reckoning, he was still accounted too young, so they left the poor Dwarfling behind.

I wouldn't put it past Legolas to have actually been in in the Battle of the Five Armies.

As for Aragorn, I imagine that he was one highly precocious child in Rivendell at the time. I wonder if Bilbo ever met him, or perhaps just saw him in Rivendell, running around.

dancing spawn of ungoliant
08-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Gandalf had been in the meeting of the white council but he actually participated in the battle of the 5 armies(I checked that from the Hobbit). Gandalf and others from the council had been (at least) near of Dol Guldur(am I spelling that right?)"fighting" against Sauron.

I wonder if Bilbo ever met him
If Bilbo didn't see him then, when did they became so close friends as wee might assume from FotR's Many meetings(?) chapter.
When Aragorn grew up he didn't spend so much time in Rivendell and Bilbo went there not till after his 111th birthday. I think that they didn't actually become friends then (Tolkien might had told us that) but they maybe saw eachother and remembered that when they next met.Just a thought.

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]

lore_master
08-06-2003, 02:08 PM
aragorn would be at least 20 wouldn't he, he was around 88 when the fellowship was formed, the hobbit and all that took place 60 years before the fellowship, so that wouyld mean he would be at least 20 years old

VardaoftheStars
08-06-2003, 03:16 PM
I would suppose Legolas would be living in Mirkwood with his father.

I don't know where Gimli was from or his age.

Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Meri, Aragorn, and Boromir hadn't been born yet.

Bilbo was off with the Dwarves fighting and Gandalf was helping him.

King_Elendil
08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Aragorn was a preteen child. Bilbo was 50 during the Erebor quest and 61 years Bilbo left the Shire for good. However it was 17 years before he joined Frodo and friends on the Quest of the Ring. So he would have been a lad of about 9.

Boromir as was stated was unborn.

Frodo, unborn

Gandalf, d'uh!

Gimli as was stated above was a young Dwarf.

Legolas, most likely in the Battle of Five Armies.

Merry, Pippin, and Sam were unborn.

Voralphion
08-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Since Gimli was in his 60's at the time of the battle of the five armies, it is possible that he could have fought in the battle with the other dwarves.

Kaiserin
08-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Aragorn was in Rivendell,under the care of Elrond, then known as Estel.
Legolas was the prince of Mirkwood; he was probably there (Actually, when I re-read The Hobbit, I imagine him to be standing around Thraduil's halls). I bet that he was in the Battle of the Five Armies.

Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and Boromir weren't even itches in their fathers' pants. smilies/smile.gif

Noxomanus
08-07-2003, 03:50 AM
Gimli certainly wasn't fighting in the Battle of Five Armies as only the Dwarves from the Iron Hills and Thorin & Co fought there.No mention of other Dwarves in exile.

Finwe
08-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Since Gimli was accounted a "stripling," he wasn't allowed to fight. I'm sure that in extreme conditions, for example, the Battle of Azanulbizar, exceptions were made to that rule, and anyone who could pick up a weapon was allowed to fight. Dain was accounted a "stripling" when he killed Azog, but in times of relative peace, that rule was enforced. Besides, if it had been a battle, then Gimli would have had his kin around him to kind of watch over him, but on the Quest, it would have been a much smaller number.

Lord of Angmar
08-07-2003, 09:07 AM
If Bilbo didn't see him then, when did they became so close friends as wee might assume from FotR's Many meetings(?) chapter.

Well, remember, Bilbo had been gone from the Shire for 17 years when the Many Meetings chapter in Rivendell took place. So he could have easily become friends with Aragorn in that time.

I do not think that Thranduil allowed Legolas to partake in the Battle of Five Armies. I seem to remember Tolkien writing specifically that he did not. Besides, Legolas never mentions it in any of the LotR books.

dancing spawn of ungoliant
08-07-2003, 12:14 PM
he could have easily become friends with Aragorn in that time.
Yep, there's plenty of time but I had understood that Aragorn didn't spent much time in Rivendell ...
(from Appendix B in LotR, these are not straight quotes due to the lack of english edition)
2942:Bilbo returns to the Shire with the Ring.
2951:Aragorn meets Arwen in Rivendell and leaves to the wild.
3001:Bilbo's birthday party.Gandalf gets some information about Gollum and asks Aragorn for help.
3002:Bilbo goes to Rivendell.
3009:Gandalf and Aragorn hunts Gollum every now and then for the next 8 years.
3017:Aragorn finds Gollum.

well, I don't know what Aragorn exactly did from the year 3001 to 3008 but I assume that he didn't just stay at home. But yes, they might have become friends then.

Daisy Brambleburr
08-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Very interesting question!

Well, Legolas was probably in the Elven kings halls and obviously knew of the dwarves arrival. I don't think he was in the battle though, something tells me his father didn't want to send his son off to fight so he stayed home.

Since Gimli was in his 60's at the time of the battle of the five armies, it is possible that he could have fought in the battle with the other dwarves.

Gimli said somewhere (sorry, I don't have a quote) that he wanted to go on the journey with his father but he was too young. Sixty is pretty young for a dwarf, as they usually live to be about 250. Where would he have been living while the dwarves were on their quest?

Aragorn was probably in Rivendell, picking his nose or something. But maybe he and Bilbo met while Bilbo was staying there. It makes a good picture in my head, a young Aragorn having a conversation with an adventurous hobbit. It's make a good fanfiction, anyway.

And, obviously, Gandalf was on the quest but he kept on buggering off to do other things as well.

smilies/biggrin.gif

Marroc Underhill
08-15-2003, 08:15 AM
So Aragorn does age like a Numenorian, forgot about that, plus I thought that wore off of all the Numenorians left. Well thats surprising. smilies/tongue.gif

burrahobbit
08-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Where would he have been living while the dwarves were on their quest?

The Blue Mountains.