PDA

View Full Version : Elfhelm and Aragorn

Eomer of the Rohirrim
12-11-2002, 09:41 AM
Any idea why Elfhelm was a chief witness at Aragorn's coronation? How many did Aragorn need? And did they have to be Men?

Selmo
12-12-2002, 03:56 AM
I doubt very much if Tolkien ever considered how many legal Witnesses were necessary for a Gondorian coronation. I suppose that, in an emergency, the Steward and one representative of the Council, the Lords and the people would be enough, though in practice many more would be invited. All the legal Witnesses would have to be men of Gondor.

Apart from the legaly necessary Witnesses, other people, both from Gondor and other lands, would be invited to take part.
Elfhelm was a Marshal of Rohan, one that nation's most senior leaders. Rohan was Gondor's only formal ally who had just helped to save Minas Tirith. It would be quite natural for representatives of Rohan to be asked to be Witnesses at Aragorn's coronation, as a matter of courtesy.

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Selmo ]

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Selmo ]

Eomer of the Rohirrim
12-12-2002, 09:03 AM
I guess if it was a 'Men' thing then it might make sense. I'd imagine that Aragorn would have chosen Frodo et al for the job but, tradition I suppose.

Selmo
12-13-2002, 04:01 AM
If I remember rightly, Frodo did play a central role in the coronation, more important than that of a Witness.