PDA

View Full Version : Silmarillion

Telpėlondiel
03-08-2002, 05:19 PM
I've been thinking about reading the Silmarillion, but alot of people that injoy Lotr's as much as I do and can put up with me talking about it, thought it was difficult to read. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about the book.
smilies/smile.gif

Mhoram
03-08-2002, 06:10 PM
I don't understand how people find the Silmarilion so tough to read, I never did. It isn't like the LOTR at all, it isn't a story so much. Imagine this.

You're sitting in the Hall of Fire the day before the Council of Elrond. Bilbo and Frodo are there, Elrond and all the elves of his house. You're sitting beside Bilbo and Frodo listening quietly and an elf stands up and begins to tell a very long tale that starts before the beginning of time. You listen intently as he tells of the Iluvatar and the Ainur and the creation of the world. He tells of the first waking of the Elves and their coming to Aman. The tale streches from the creation of the world to the end of the First Age.

Imagine how this story would be told, it wouldn't be much like the LOTR would it? It would be all 3rd person and wouldn't be very detailed. Some dialog but mostly an outline of all that happened. This is the Silmarilion.

Don't expect to read something like the LOTR from a different period in time, it is not that. But you will read many tales, wonderful and tragic. Many questions will be answered, many new ones will come to light.

We will be here to help if you need.

Nufaciel
03-08-2002, 06:20 PM
I couldn't have said it better than Mhoram. I adore the Silmarillion. I didn't have any problems reading the Silmarillion. I say go ahead. Only you can decide how well you like it, and what may be hard for some may not be hard for you.

Telpėlondiel
03-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your help Mhoram and Nufaciel. It sounds very interesting and I will get back to you about what I thought.

smilies/wink.gif