PDA

View Full Version : Maps

Elizabeth
06-09-2002, 09:53 AM
I don't know about you guys but when I read a book I need to know where and when I am. I like to look it up in a map and know details of that specific moment of our History.

That could have been a problem with Lord of the Rings but Tolkien thought of everything and provided us with a map and a rich History.

Do you feel the same way?

smilies/smile.gif

Lothiriel Silmarien
06-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Tolkien is the best author I think because of those reasons. He wrote well, of course, but he described everything to the fullest. Every detail. And including maps is just a stoke of genius!!!

Lothiriel Silmarien
06-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Oh, don't think I said this, but welcome to the Downs!!! Have fun, and post often! smilies/biggrin.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

Luinsewiel
06-09-2002, 06:30 PM
I love when books have maps it puts everything into prospective. If LotR didn't have a map i would be completly lost, I have trouble picturing things in my mind smilies/rolleyes.gif that's why i like to watch movies of book theni have an idea of what a character might look like smilies/biggrin.gif . Without maps in LotR you wouldn't have as good an idea of how far the fellowship travelled.(my english is terrible i know)
Welcome to the downs from me also i hope this you have lots of fun here!
smilies/smile.gif smilies/smile.gif

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Luinsewiel ]

Aosama, the Wandering Star
06-09-2002, 07:51 PM
I don't think I'd have understood anything without a map.
My simplicity aside, maps tend to lend a whole new level to the reader's comprehension. It seems as if, because it's charted out on a map, the story becomes more real, in a way. Every step of the Fellowship can be mapped out and documented on paper due to Tolkien's wonderful maps. I can see how different areas relate to each other. Case in point: If I didn't have the maps, I would wonder why no one from Gondor, Rohan, or Lothlorien ever knew Hobbits even existed. Wouldn't they be neighbours? Looking at the maps, I can now realize - oh yes, not only do they have hundreds - perhaps thousands - of leagues seperating them, there is also a mountain range between them. Silly me smilies/smile.gif

Mithril
06-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Oh, I definately feel the same way about maps. Without the maps in LOTR, I wouldn't have understood why no one knew of hobbits either. Also, it helps you to understand the difficulty of their journey, and how far they had to go. I also, have a hard visualizing things sometimes, so the maps helped me. I also like to know when things happen, so the history also helps.

Ithaeliel
06-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Maps help me a lot too. When I'm writing fanfic, I liketo know where exactly the people are going and thanks to that little scale I can estimate just how long it's going to take them to get there.
Except, and has anyone noticed this before, the original map that Tolkien himself drew and the newest one by Shelly Shapiro are laid out slightly different? Different distances, I mean. Kinda makes me somewhat doubtful if I want to use the new one, but that's the only one I have access to.

akhtene
07-08-2002, 08:42 PM
I found this interactive map. Looks fun to me.TRY HERE (http://tolkien4ever.narod.ru/intmap.zip)

Neferchoirwen
07-09-2002, 08:31 AM
I NEED a map! and I love especially ond ones. I'm obssessed with maps when it comes to literature, and without it, like every one else, I am indeed lost!

Aldagrim Proudfoot
07-09-2002, 08:45 AM
There's a book called The Atlas of Middle-Earth. I can't remember who it's by, though. It's just full of maps of everything. Even ME vegetation

Aragost
07-12-2002, 10:13 AM
I dont like that many books without maps theyre too boring.maps are good.I love maps smilies/smile.gif

Raefindel
07-12-2002, 10:20 AM
Middle Earth Tours (http://fan.theonering.net/middleearthtours/mathomhouse.html#maps)

This site might be a little easier for most of us to navagate- it's in English.

piosenniel
07-12-2002, 11:49 AM
I love maps! So, here is a link to an excellent resource for Middle-earth maps:

Maps (http://lotrmaps.middle-earth.us/maps.html#THEMAPS)

Enjoy!!

akhtene
07-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Wow! They are fantastic! THANKS!!!

tangerine
07-17-2002, 07:35 AM
The only trouble is that the maps of the First Age were totally irrelevant by the second age, So it would be difficult To figure out where exactly those old places once were, like Doriath and Gondolin.

maleliel
07-19-2002, 02:15 PM
I agree and I love the maps too!!! smilies/biggrin.gif But do you guys know the map of Middle-Earth that Christopher Tolkien re-drew in the back of Unfinshed Tales? If you do then, the little island Himling is the only part left of Beleriand and used to be the Hill of Himring, Maedros's realm. Well you already know all that, but do you think the Elves travel to it and stuff? Because it's part of their history and stuff. What do you guys think?
Don't make fun of me, I know I ramble on too much!!! smilies/rolleyes.gif