PDA

View Full Version : Durin's Ring

Nils
10-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Sauron took possession of the 16 after declaring war on the Elves. When he did this, the doors of Moria were shut to him.

How did Sauron give Durin III his ring of power?

Kuruharan
10-09-2002, 06:45 PM
The definitive answer is...we're not sure.

There are two versions. One is that Sauron gave the Rings to the Dwarves himself, the other is that the Elf-smiths gave out the Rings. It's the usual case of Dwarf-said, Elf-said.

The more accepted view seems to be that Sauron took the Rings and gave them out himself.

As to how, well, he hadn't lost his power to assume fair shapes yet...

Nils
10-09-2002, 06:48 PM
But I thought that Moria's doors were closed.

One other question, were the Dwarves of Beleriand living in Moria too? If so, then either the other 6 were given to the dwarves in the east (if the Elves gave Durin's to him) or Sauron would have to get within the gates somehow.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: Nils ]

Kuruharan
10-09-2002, 07:01 PM
But I thought that Moria's doors were closed.

Hmm...remind me to bring that up the next time I get into an argument about this.

However, I expect that like the Black Gates, the Gates of Moria could be opened for those who knew the passwords or had "special business" in the kingdom.

One other question, were the Dwarves of Beleriand living in Moria too?

Yes and no. There were Dwarves who had fled the Blue Mountains in Khazad-dum, however the Blue Mountains had not been totally deserted by their original inhabitants.

Sauron would have to get within the gates somehow.

If Sauron did give the Rings for the Firebeards and the Broadbeams to their leaders in Moria (something I rather doubt) he could have just given them en masse.

However, the point about the gates being "officially" closed does lend weight to the notion that the Elf-smiths distributed the Rings themselves.

Donlammenion
10-12-2002, 05:28 AM
(actually by THE REAL FINDORFIN on mates name)

If we go by the history that says Durin's ring was taken away from Eregion before Sauron descended and destroyed everything, why would Durin's descendants want it. Surely the elves new that Sauron could control the rings (thats why they took theres off in the first place). The dwarves would know this as well (being friends) so why?

And how did Sauron get other dwarves to where the rings after the destruction of Eregion. Surely word got around that Sauron had captured all the dwarf and mortal rings.

Any ideas???

Nils
10-12-2002, 07:26 AM
Perhaps the reason why was the rings increased the wealth of the dwarf that wore it. It took gold to create gold, but the ring had a positive impact in that direction.

The Dwarves were created with the express ability to resist domination. What could affect both Men and Elves didn't affect Dwarves. Or at least not in the same way. The rings did increase the natural coveting desires of Dwarves.