PDA

View Full Version : offical tolkiens fans day: can we make it possible?

the_master_of_puppets
02-19-2002, 01:15 PM
After a couple of good responses on another part of the forum i am going to suggest it as a new topic: what would every1 think to a day dedicated to Tolkiens work, where all his fans can celebrate together? (possible date could be his b/day, or first release of lotr?)...anyway if we get enough people it could be made offical. SO..

if u like the idea, leave a post and we can all decided wot 2 do...if anything smilies/biggrin.gif

calenfaniel
02-19-2002, 03:27 PM
I think it's a great idea! smilies/biggrin.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

Starbreeze
02-19-2002, 03:35 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

There, said what I wanted to say!

Yes, I think that this is a wonderful wonderful idea, count me in.

I have been requested to put down the names of my two friends who don't have internet access so cant join here, but would still like a Tolkien day! They say:

Yes please do! Its a very good idea and I love you for it!

Why has no one thought of this before. Me too, Me too, I wanna join in!

Aralaithiel
02-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Woo yeah! Count me in! smilies/smile.gif

the_master_of_puppets
02-19-2002, 04:46 PM
yay people like the idea!
smilies/biggrin.gif
well lets hope a load more agree with us, and i really apprechiate ur support. any ideas on how 2 push this idea forward

Pips
02-19-2002, 04:50 PM
Oh HELL YEAH!
(Pops and hand over her mouth to contain her joy)

I mean, of course! That's a fantastic Idea! Count me in!!!!

Rose Cotton
02-19-2002, 09:01 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES Y-E-S
YES
THE QUESTION IS WHY WOULDN'T WE WANT A TOLKIEN DAY.
Count me in.
TOLKIEN FANS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!

Rose Cotton
02-19-2002, 09:03 PM
I just thought of something. If we were not able to make a Tolkien day maybe we could be less spicific and have a world wide BOOK DAY or does that sound bad?

calenfaniel
02-19-2002, 09:46 PM
That's a good idea too Rose. smilies/smile.gif I am surprised there's not already a world wide book day.

I hope we can get a Tolkien day though, that would be great. I don't know how we would go about getting one though. It seems like there is a holiday, or day, for just about everything so I don't see why there couldn't be one for Tolkien smilies/biggrin.gif . We would have to get a lot of people interested. It's a good time to try, with the movies coming out and all, it won't be as hard to get peoples attention I'm sure.

Does anyone out there know anything about stuff like this? smilies/smile.gif I don't have much advice to give, because I've never done anything like this before.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be happy to do some research and see what I can find out. smilies/smile.gif

Elven-Maiden
02-20-2002, 09:08 AM
Yay! This'll be so much fun! I still get first dibs on the elven-princess costume! Whoo-hoo! smilies/smile.gif

Just make sure it's a national day in Canada too!

Starbreeze
02-20-2002, 01:06 PM
I thought there already was a world book day, in march sometime? Well there is in UK anyway.

Starbreeze
02-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, I will dress up in my hobbit dresses, or my elf clothes, and carry my bow ('tis real!) and arrows. and i will only speak in the languages of middle earth.

If we did it in aid of a charity we would get more support and it would be more likely to get noticed. If not, I would get people to sponsor me for charity anyway. Cause I'm a kind and wonderful person! smilies/biggrin.gif

the_master_of_puppets
02-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Yeh we do have world book day here anyway (scotland). The idea of charity might work..but wot would the charity be?

decisions decisions!!

calenfaniel
02-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Quote:
"If we did it in aid of a charity we would get more support and it would be more likely to get noticed. If not, I would get people to sponsor me for charity anyway. Cause I'm a kind and wonderful person! "

That's a good idea Starbreeze smilies/biggrin.gif What charity would it go to? Or, if it were it's own charity then what would the charity be for?

Also, I have checked around online a little, and I can't find anything about how to go about starting an "official day". smilies/frown.gif Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? I'm sure there's got to be a way to do it though, or at least try. And, if it were an official day world wide, then how would we go about doing that? Hmm. I'm going to search some more today, but I don't know how much luck im going to have- considering the fact that I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. smilies/biggrin.gif

Balefalathiel
02-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Great idea but... I live in Finland... smilies/frown.gif

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell
02-20-2002, 03:51 PM
hmm...I LIKE IT!! How about march 25, the day the ring was destroyed?? smilies/wink.gif

Balefalathiel
02-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Oh.. I'm sorry.. I didn't read the topic properly... (Oh how stupid am I...! smilies/mad.gif smilies/tongue.gif )

Balefalathiel
02-20-2002, 03:54 PM
Vilya, that's GREAT idea!!! smilies/smile.gif

calenfaniel
02-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Quote:
"hmm...I LIKE IT!! How about march 25, the day the ring was destroyed?? smilies/wink.gif "

That is a great idea! smilies/biggrin.gif

March 25th is 'The Annuciation' (I went to http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01541c.htm to read about it, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know what it meant. smilies/frown.gif ) according to my grandmas calendar. smilies/smile.gif But, surely there could be two things on one day. smilies/biggrin.gif

Nazgûl Queen
02-21-2002, 03:17 AM
<center><font color="red">YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I know heaps of people who'd participate...

But it would have to be an INTERNATIONAL day...

And even if its on March 25th, we all need to have a celebration on January 3rd (Tolkiens B'Day) and September 22nd smilies/biggrin.gif

Alchrivëwen
02-21-2002, 08:38 AM
WHy don't we have 3 major conventions, one for each book, one for tolkiens b-day one for the first release of LOTR and one for the destruction day of the Ring

the_master_of_puppets
02-21-2002, 01:44 PM
All of these ideas are great (march 25th at least would be a good date)... but how are we going to make it offical: EVERYWHERE? We dont want to all have to pure fly 2 some big random place like...i dunno...luxembourg just to celebrate! do we need to contact governments? or just somebody in parliement? shood we all write to our locals MPs?MSPs? (or wotever the forign equivilant of a member of parliament is)??

hmmmm

calenfaniel
02-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Quote:
"but how are we going to make it offical: EVERYWHERE? We dont want to all have to pure fly 2 some big random place like...i dunno...luxembourg just to celebrate! do we need to contact governments? or just somebody in parliement? shood we all write to our locals MPs?MSPs? (or wotever the forign equivilant of a member of parliament is)??"

That's what I was wondering. I don't know who is in charge of making "official" days. I know here in the United States, we have different holidays in different states sometimes. So, I don't know how hard it would be to get all 50 states, or several (or all) countries. I'm going to ask around though and see if I can find out.

Starbreeze
02-21-2002, 03:38 PM
As for charities I don't know. Maybe a charity could be set up that supports something that Tolkien himself would have supported.
25th March sounds good, but so does 3rd January as we need something to liven up the long winter!
I am going to write off and ask for info on "making official days" but i don't know how detailed that will be about international....worth a try though!

Enedhil
02-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Ooooh, yes, yes, yes!!
Do we get a day off work too? *asks ever hopeful* smilies/biggrin.gif

Alkanoonion
02-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Fantastic idea, I like March 25th smilies/cool.gif

Gayahithwen
02-22-2002, 04:26 AM
I thought there already was a world book day, in march sometime? Well there is in UK anyway.

LoL.. just and only in the UK there is an world wide book day.. No, actually I think you're right..

Moving down the thread, I saw the date March the 25th be mentioned several times.. That would be great! I'll be of telling my cousing about that! He's a fantaic as well, and March the 25th is his birthday.. bwahahaha!! ok, I'm weird, but count me in anyway! And then, on the official Tolkien-day you will find me somewhere in the world, dressed as something from the books and talking some of the languages (now I just have to learn them).. it's gonna be fun anyway!

goldwine
02-22-2002, 04:51 AM
March 25th works for me! Sounds good. I don't know about world book day but Australia has Children's Book Week celebrations (National Awards are given & schools celebrate)!!! It's a start!

Niphredil Baggins
02-22-2002, 06:01 AM
Yes.

Alchrivëwen
02-22-2002, 06:46 AM
Actually, we should write to the embassies and government leaders around the world, im actually starting to work on the letters now

LightningSword
02-22-2002, 07:23 AM
I think it's an awesome idea... But I doubt pres. Bush (the jerk) would approve of it in the US.... He thinks this kind of stuff is evil.
Honestly, I'd like to see if we can make it work! That would be awesome!

Lady of the Lake
02-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Yes! Tolkien's official fan day should be a public holiday all over the world! And what the heck, make every day a Tolkien Fan Day!!! smilies/biggrin.gif

the_master_of_puppets
02-22-2002, 01:40 PM
When i told my mum about our idea she said we'd need to contact tolkiens sons to get permission, and then take things from there.

Any ideas how we go about that?

another possible date could be November 3rd, the day the War of the Ring ended.

Alchrivëwen
02-22-2002, 01:42 PM
try finding his address, he lives in england ((duh- no offence to anybody))

Starbreeze
02-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Three more of my friend want it too. I am spreading a petition round my school so as many people can sign it as possible. smilies/biggrin.gif

Eärendil
02-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Wonderful idea, count me in!! smilies/smile.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

the_master_of_puppets
02-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Right, i'm going to try my damndest (lol@that word) to find out a contact adress for Christopher Tolkien. Although im a little wary: i heard he disowned his own son from his will because he supported the movie!

I think the patition idea is great- if all the fans do something to show whoever it is in charge of day dedications how serious we are they cant help to acknollage it.

if they can name it the book of the 20th centruary, second only to the bible, then surely its auther deserves a day for all his works in the first place!!

Well, every1 keep in touch on here so we know whos doing what. Thats about all i can think of just now to kick this off: but its a start. smilies/biggrin.gif

Starbreeze
02-23-2002, 09:24 AM
15 people have signed my petition so far! Yey! smilies/biggrin.gif
(These include my family, as I have not been to school today!)

Lady_Galadriel
07-23-2002, 02:30 PM
I know, I know. Tjis is a really old topic, but it's a great idea!!! Maybe if people just start celebrating it, within families, groups of people and in schools, it would soon be known worldwide, and then go from there to make it official...
Just trying to be helpful... smilies/biggrin.gif

Starbreeze
07-23-2002, 02:36 PM
It is a wonderful idea, but there is not enoguh interest - yet - i think we need to spread the word a bit.

ArwenBaggins
07-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Here in Ireland, we have a Book Day.

It would be great to have a Tolkien Day!

Starbreeze
07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
We have a book day too, but its not quite the same as a Tolkein day. We should be careful though, otherwise there will be a Patricia Cornwall day, a J.K. Rowling day, a Raymond. E. Feist day...and the rest.