PDA

View Full Version : Lùthien

Joy
02-21-2002, 07:02 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to out this, but I was wondering if any one knew if there has been a play writen of Beren and Lùthien.

If not, I would like to try to write one. Also, what chapters are the best places to find the info for their story?

Raefindel
02-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Yes, Write one! You'll be splendid! smilies/biggrin.gif

Lostgaeriel
02-21-2002, 08:01 PM
I don't know if it's ever been done. But good luck. It sounds like quite a project.

As for info, use the indexes in the back of the books - look up Beren, Luthien, Silmaril, Iron Crown, Morgoth, etc. LOTR has many little bits that refer to the story.

But if you're feeling lazy...

The Silmarillion, Chapter XIX, Of Beren and Luthien would be essential. (Not that I've read it. smilies/rolleyes.gif )

LOTR - FOTR - A Knife in the Dark - near the end - Aragorn recounts the story in brief.
LOTR - ROTK - The Stairs of Cirith Ungol - near the end - Sam talks about the story.
LOTR - Appendix A - I - The Numenorean Kings - first page or so has a bit.

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]

Joy
02-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Thag you very buch smilies/biggrin.gif Thank you very much. I have read the parts in LotR - Especially Knife in the Dark. This is where I got my idea from - the Song of Tinùviel.

Joy
02-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know where The Song of Tinùviel can be found? I perfer sheet music, but I can deal with a chord chart. I have found it just in vocals at http://www.svenskateatern.fi/tolkien/ but also it is in Swedish or either Finnish. That doesn't help me much.

Eruhen
02-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Definietly make a play out of Beren and Luthien. Use the Lay of Leithan from Lays of Beleriand, even though it's unfinsihed. Wait, don't just make a play. Make a script for a movie and mail it to Mr. Jackson down in New Zealand!

Joy
02-22-2002, 12:20 PM
All I have right now is how Tinùviel looks at the opening scene, which is from the Song of Tinùviel in "Knife in the Dark."

(Dress: very light material, sheer overlay in pale (almost ice) green. Sleeves are made by sheer fabric with golden flowers. The bodice of the dress is laden with flowers entwined with silver threads. Around the waist is a silver band in princess style. It runs down each side of the dress at the seam. The skirt of the dress is double layer sheer. The first layer has silver thread and silver beading/sequins. The second layer has small flowers.)

Tnùviel’s hair: Long, flowing, waist length, almost platinum blonde. In her hair, silver and gold beading mixed with the flowers of spring.

Face and neck: everything with a sliver shimmer. Eye shadow: light blue shimmer overlaid with ocean foam (greenish) shimmer at brow. Lips: pink ice shimmer. Cheeks: a golden glow.

Not much for right now, I know. But just had to get the picture down on paper.

Raefindel
02-22-2002, 12:30 PM
A blonde! really? I always immagined her as a brunette. That is one of the reasons her beauty was so rare..or..well, Maybe I imagined that too. does it ever say her hair color anywhere? The pictures in the art books show her as a dark-haired elf.

Alchrivëwen
02-22-2002, 12:31 PM
I thought her hair was black

Joy
02-22-2002, 12:32 PM
From what I have read, correct me if I am wrong, it says that the Elves were fair-haired. To me this is blonde, even though I perfer red-heads. smilies/wink.gif I myself am one.

Alchrivëwen
02-22-2002, 12:44 PM
do not for get that elrond and arwen have black haired and are elves

Joy
02-22-2002, 12:56 PM
I stand corrected. I had not read the Silm yet. Just read it and found that she indeed did have dark hair, also blue rainment.

Alchrivëwen
02-22-2002, 01:12 PM
neener neener neener! *smiles smugly* j/k

Turambar
02-22-2002, 03:22 PM
I believe that almost all elves are black haired except those of the house of Finarfin like Finrod and Galadriel.

Joy
02-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Where can I find the Lay of Leithan and Lays of Beleriand?

I only have LotR, Silm, and UT.

Bruce MacCulloch
02-22-2002, 04:25 PM
Any good bookstore will either have it or be able to get it for you. The title is Lays of Beleriand.

Joy
02-22-2002, 06:19 PM
I have to look for it after I get paid! Thanks Bruce. smilies/cool.gif

Joy
02-23-2002, 02:09 AM
I have made corrections to the dress color and hair color. Even though the books do not say it, I see her with a circlet of gold and silver about her head, from whence hangs gold and silver leaves that adorn the flowers that are in her hair.

I also see a silver necklace, from whence hangs a large stone. I'm not sure which type. I see either emerald (Elf-Stone) like unto that which Aragorn had, a blue topaz, or an amethyst. The name amethyst in the Greek means intoxicating, whereas Lùthien is said to mean Enchanter.

I have finished reading the chapter on Beren and Lùthien in the Silm. Amazing story. Very sad, I cried at the end. smilies/frown.gif Just like I did with Arwen and Aragorn.