PDA

View Full Version : cloak question(thread?needle?get over here!)

cheeto
03-27-2002, 03:45 PM
I'm thinking about making a cloak,I've made them and other things for younger relitives,but I've never put a hood on them,I was wondering if anyone could show picks or explain any ideas on how to add one without it looking too obviosely like it was sewed on seperatly(does that make sense?)and would a drawstring look tacky?(it's looked fine with the others,but I like hearing other ideas)if you have a desighn with sleeves(I've seen them before,very cool)post it up

Aralaithiel
03-27-2002, 03:49 PM
Try this pattern. It's fairly simple to make. http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebaran/DoItYourself/Cloak02.html

Elven-Maiden
03-27-2002, 07:58 PM
looks cool! I'm gonna try it too! smilies/smile.gif

Nuranar
03-28-2002, 02:14 PM
That pattern looks great! If I ever finish all my other projects, I'd like to try it some day...

Just one thing: The pattern suggested crushed velvet or cotton/polycotton. I wear a cape for living history and I wouldn't dream of not having one made of wool. It is heavy, but it's far warmer than cotton. Mine is also lined in flannel. In Texas is doesn't get super cold, and my cape is none too warm! smilies/wink.gif

Just a thought if you wanted to use your cloak as an outerwear garment. Have fun! smilies/tongue.gif

Starbreeze
03-28-2002, 03:36 PM
OOOOO! I gotta have a go @ that!

VanimaEdhel
03-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Knowing me, if I WERE to make a cloak, then I would wing it. I'd be like, "Oh, this looks good cut like THIS...OH! And this should be shaped like THIS...and you sew it like...THIS!" And, it actually wouldn't turn out that bad and would probably be fairly true to what the hobbit-cloaks would look like. Elf cloaks, those would be perfect, but...

My mom DID make a really good hooded cloak when I was like eight and I was Little Red Riding Hood...it looked exactly like the ones in FotR actually. She used a pattern from...hmmm...which one of those books? McCall's maybe...if you want a pattern you can take HOME, then go to any sewing store with patterns, they'll have them!

Raefindel
03-30-2002, 08:23 PM
I made my own cloak and I have two thoughts on how you can make it hooded.

1) Make it reversible or lined(simple to do even if the pattern doesn't call for it) and sew the hood BETWEEN the two layers.

2) Put it on with buttons so it can be removed. This way both the cloak collar and the bottom edge of the hood will be finished.

Well, now that I'v thought about it I've come up with a third, but describing it would be difficult.

3) Put a plain collar on the cloak, just a long piece of straight fabric folded over both the inside and outside and sew the hood under that. (be careful not to sew it on the wrong side.)

Hope that was understandable. I know it can be tough trying to make sense of something with no pictures. smilies/smile.gif

Raefindel
03-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Cheeto, I'm assuming you're female here, after I made my cloak I made a purse/ bag to match from the scraps. Be glad to describe that if you're interested.

cheeto
03-31-2002, 02:03 PM
go ahead and post the steps for the bag Raefindel,I probly won't get started for a long time,(just got back from a trip and I'm broke)

Niere-Teleliniel
03-31-2002, 02:11 PM
I agree with Nuranar: make it WARM. i live in Pennsylvania, and when I went running thru the woods with my friends (like the idiots we are smilies/biggrin.gif ) I was COLD cause my cloak was only 1 layer of cotton (dumb me, not to much elven-sense, I guess) Also, to give it a snappy finish, buy or devise some kind of brooch.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Niere-Teleliniel ]

Raefindel
04-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Well, Let's see... I cut two circles, one of each fabric, the outside and the lining ( I lined my cloak) each circle was about 15 inches. I think I traced a large plate. Put WRONG sides of fabric together and sew around the edge leaving enough room to put your hand in and turn it right-side-out. Sew up the hole.Iron flat(very important).

Sew a finishing stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as you can. sew two more times around the circle- one seam one inch from the edge and one a half inch further in. Cut a small hole (like a button hole) between these two (like a rod-pocket on curtains) and run a cord through it with a saftey pin. Pull the cord tight... ta dah!

Let me know if this isn't understandable. I can see if I can re-write it to make more sense. OK?

Raefindel
04-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Just a thought to add to what Nuranar and Niere-Teleliniel said about fabric. I lined mine wtih satin and found this to be a BIG mistake. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I wish I had lined it with cotton.
smilies/mad.gif

Joy
06-21-2002, 11:45 PM
I am using Baroque Satin as my lining, but I am using crushed velvet for the cloak, but down here in Ga, it doesn't get too cold, well most of the time....

[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

Yerniel Vénea
06-21-2002, 11:53 PM
I have a pattern from McCall's that has one cloak. the pattern # is P438. It is a simple one w/ a hood but it is only one layered. It is long too, down to the ankles or so. I have not made it but will try it someday. A friend of my recently bought one from Simplicity and it is a pattern w/ 3 types of cloaks: a guy's cloak, a long woman's, and another that I cannot think of right now. I just found one on-line and the # is 9452 of Simplicity (not the one my friend has). I will try and find out what the # is for the cool pattern she has for the cloak, ok? If all else fails, find out pattern brand names and look at their sites. www.simplicity.com (http://www.simplicity.com) and there's others but I can't think of 'em!

Nimrodel
06-21-2002, 11:56 PM
Lady Rae is right, they are easy to line. Just do everything twice.

Joy
06-22-2002, 12:00 AM
Yerniel, I will be using Mccall's pattern #9410 for my cloak, but I am looking to make a cloak for the guys that are in our group, so I might take a look at that one that you posted.

Also, I am making the cloak claps also.

merlilot
06-22-2002, 11:54 AM
Wow, I thought I was th only wierdo who wanted a cloak. And to think all the times I safety pinned a blanket to my shoulders...No really, I wanna make one, but have a) no money and b) no time, so it looks like I'm screwed for that one.

Raefindel
06-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Yes, Sewing is expensive and time consuming. I have 2 cloaks I made for myself and I made each of my daughers a reversable cloak. It was fun to take them to the fabric store and let them each choose fabric. smilies/smile.gif

Joy
06-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Mae govannan Merlilot. Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo. (A star shines on the hour of our meeting.)

Welcome to the Downs. Have fun and post often.

merlilot
06-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Oh, believe me, I post often. You guys will want to get rid of me. I knew what Elen sila lumenn omentilmo meant, but am still wondering what the translation of Mae govannen is. I know it is something along the lines of welcome...

Raefindel
06-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Mae Govannen is "Well Met".

Tigerlily Gamgee
06-23-2002, 05:45 PM
<font color=gold>I'm a cop-out! I am paying a seamstress to make a cape for me. But I am picking out my own material (an elven grey of course!). I can't wait for the Renaissance Festival!!!!!

Raefindel
06-23-2002, 07:27 PM
I have a burgandy lined in gold and a sage green. My daughters chose really wild fabrics. The younger's is purple with stars in one side and green with leaves on the other. The older's is light blue with fairies on one side and pink with hearts on the other. smilies/tongue.gif

merlilot
06-23-2002, 08:41 PM
The RenFest is the best! I love it! I wanna work there, but I can't, not with my school sched.

Oh, OK, Well Met. Gracias!

Auriel Haevasawen
06-24-2002, 02:52 PM
If I've posted this information before I apologise. McCalls make a set of patterns called 'Evening Elegance' most of them are utter girlie pants but one has got a lovely cloak and elf dress ensemble. I made the dress recently but I've put the pattern in my pattern box so give me a few days to find the number. If I can be of any help with the sewing stuff just ask. I've been dressing in a somewhat unique manner for a number of years now. (Mme.Vampire in the Winter and Elf in the Summer!)

The Silver-shod Muse
06-25-2002, 08:57 PM
*sigh* If I had time and money I'd do all this... smilies/rolleyes.gif

elfearz1
08-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Simplicity also makes patterns for cloaks under "costumes." Also if you are short on money. (this is going to sound reallly stupid) but buy a sheet that is similiar in material and color to cloaks and it works well enough.