PDA

View Full Version : Lost Tales

Tigerlily Gamgee
04-02-2002, 10:37 AM
OK, I know that there are many books of lost tales & I plan on getting all of them eventaully, but...
What are all of the books?
Can someone list me the titles of all of the books of Lost Tales so that I know I am not missing one. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! smilies/tongue.gif

Ithilwen
04-02-2002, 04:31 PM
The entire series is composed of 12 separate volumes, and is collectively titled The History of Middle Earth, generally abbreviated HoME. The titles of the individual volumes in the series, in order, are:

1. The Book of Lost Tales, part 1
2. The Book of Lost Tales, part 2
3. The Lays of Beleriand
4. The Shaping of Middle Earth
5. The Lost Road
6. The Return of the Shadow
7. The Treason of Isengard
8. The War of the Ring
9. Sauron Defeated
10. Morgoth's Ring
11. The War of the Jewels
12. The Peoples of Middle Earth

Volumes 6-9 consist of rough drafts of the Lord of the Rings, and this part of the series is also subtitled The History of The Lord of the Rings - volumes 1-4

While I love the HoME, most of it is rather academic - it's often tough reading, as most of the series consists of early drafts of the Silmarillion (which changed GREATLY over the course of Tolkien's life!). Don't even THINK about tackling it (except for the 4 volumes concerning the Lord of the Rings) until you are very familiar with the Silmarillion. The most accessable of the books, IMHO, are the last three volumes in the series, and volume 3 (the Lays) if you enjoy poetry.

Variag of Khand
04-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Yep, I think 1 and 2 are hard work at times. I've read the ones that show the early drafts of Lord of the Rings and I love them. But I've read LotR about 50 times, so I know it inside out. Unless you really know LotR well, its not the thing to go for.

On the other hand if you've read LotR and Silmarillion, I'd recommend Unfinished Tales as the next thing to look at.

Tigerlily Gamgee
04-02-2002, 05:57 PM
Thank you! You guys are great! smilies/biggrin.gif

Birdland
04-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Tigerlily - I don't think you necessarily need to jump in at the beginning and read them straight through. Just "browse" in the areas that interest you, and it will probably lead to more questions that will lead you to pursue other volumes.

I myself started with Volume 6: The Return of the Shadow. It's not really complete tales so much as rough drafts of the LoTR, and shows the development of the novel.

I find it facsinating reading: should have realized that a novel of this size didn't just spring out of Tolkien's head like Venus on a half-shell.

If nothing else it makes me VERY thankful that the original name for Meriadoc was given to the lead character, ("...and 'Bingo' was his name...OHHH?), and that Meriadoc was not saddled for all posterity with the name "Marmaduke"! smilies/eek.gif

Starbreeze
04-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Does anyone know any where or any publishers that do them? I can't find them anywhere. smilies/frown.gif

Bruce MacCulloch
04-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Del Rey publishes the paperbacks currently.

Ithilwen
04-04-2002, 04:25 PM
Starbreeze, I got all 12 volumes from Amazon.com; I think you'll find that most local bookstores won't have the complete set (and many won't have any volumes in the series!), so you'll almost certainly have to order them online or place a special order at the local bookstore. The first 5 volumes are in paperback, but the remaining volumes I believe are only available in hardcover at this time.

Aralaithiel
04-04-2002, 04:56 PM
I got mine at amazon.com as well. They have a really good deal on them. I am reading The Lost Raod right now, as it has the Quenya word etymologies in it. I would definitely heed the other's advice and read The Silmarillion first, then read Unfinished Tales before tackling theses babies!
Good luck! smilies/smile.gif