PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the name Aragorn

Lostgaeriel
02-01-2002, 12:21 AM
Is there a full translation of the name Aragorn? Doesn't "ar(a)" means "high, noble, royal"? But what does the "gorn" mean? Is it from "gor" - "horror, dread" or from "orn" - "tree"? Or does it have no meaning?

Thanks!

Elrian
02-01-2002, 06:06 PM
It means royal tree.

Jjudvven
02-01-2002, 11:19 PM
COOL! I never knew that...

Lostgaeriel
02-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Really! Royal TREE! Thanks Elrian! I was hoping it might. Would like some confirmation from one more source/expert, although I do trust your knowledge.

I checked the Barrow Downs encyclopaedia and did a SEARCH in the various forums - I even checked another Tolkien website smilies/eek.gif (And I forgot to bookmark it - can't remember what it was!) - it had a very good encyclopaedia - but gave "no known meaning" for Aragorn other than "noble".

Now maybe I'll finish my VERY LONG essay on the Trilogy and the Bible that I've been working on for weeks and post it to the existing thread in BOOKS. I hate to inflict such a wordy, but JUST-FOR-FUN smilies/smile.gif post on people, but I really want to explore it and get some literary discussion going. And I'm trying to write it in a non-offensive way - thus the delay. smilies/rolleyes.gif

Elrian
02-02-2002, 08:25 PM
The Complete Guide to Middle Earth would verify it if you can get a hold of one.

Lindolirian
02-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Also the Languages of Middle Earth is a very good book to find meanings of names.

Lostgaeriel
02-02-2002, 10:24 PM
Thanks again Elrian! And thanks Lindolirian!

I'm short on funds, so I'll see if the local library has these resource materials - I doubt it! Or I'll just use the bookstore as a library!!! (I'm thinking I'm not the kind of person who will enjoy reading these or use them much - I can't get thru The Sil and I've had it since 1977 - looks nice on the shelf though. smilies/frown.gif )

Elrian
02-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Try reading the Sil by starting a few chapters in, like chapter III or IV. The first few chapters are hard for some when they first read it. That's the way I did it when I first read it and it worked, hope it does for you too. smilies/wink.gif