PDA

View Full Version : informations about Ents

Athaniel
01-17-2004, 08:16 AM
I am planning to write a story about Fangorn and Fimbrethil and I am looking for informations about ents you may have come across.

When do you think the elves awoke the ents and taught them how to talk?
Are there any references to ents in HOME?

Thanks smilies/smile.gif

Thengal
01-17-2004, 12:07 PM
I beleive the Ents were awoken during the Second Age? Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't read up on Ents that much.

burrahobbit
01-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Way before that, they killed Dwarves in the Silmarillion.

Thengal
01-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Really?! What age was that? Wait, why did they kill dwarves?

Elassar 516
01-17-2004, 01:31 PM
The Ents "awoke" in the first age of stars. The Silmarils weren't even made until the fifth age of stars, so that makes them pretty old. I can't remember now why the Ents killed Dwarves (and I don't have my Silm. with me) although I would imagine it has to do with Dwarves carrying axes and possibly chopping down trees.

Thengal
01-17-2004, 01:34 PM
But in the movie TT they said...oh wait it's the MOVIE TT, never mind. smilies/biggrin.gif

burrahobbit
01-17-2004, 01:39 PM
No, it didn't have anything to do with that.

The Dark Elf
01-17-2004, 02:23 PM
what about the entwives? or the ents in the old forest? were there entwives in the old forest?

burrahobbit
01-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Probably not.

Finwe
01-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Technically, it wasn't the Ents that killed the Dwarves, they were led by Beren Erchamion and other Green-elves. This is a much-abridged version of that event.

After Thingol received the Silmaril, it began to affect him just as it had affected its previous owners. He became greedy and overpossessive of it, and would never give it up. He summoned Dwarves from the Blue Mountains to set the Silmaril in the Nauglamir, a necklace, for a promised price. Once they had done the work, Thingol met them in the treasury, and then refused to pay them, or was extremely rude to them, or somme such thing, the story differs. Anyway, the Dwarves were so enamoured of the Silmaril that they slew Thingol, who, unwisely, was alone, and razed Menegroth. Grief drove Melian to leave Doriath, and travel back to Aman. They stole a lot of treasure from the treasury, and set off back to their home. Meanwhile, Beren and Luthien had been living right across the river Ascar, and had heard of the fall of Thingol and the departure of Melian. Beren, the Green-elves, and the Ents set out after the Dwarves, and ambushed them on the riverbank, destroying them. Beren took the Nauglamir and the treasure, and Luthien wore the Nauglamir until her dying day. The rest of the tale, and of the final Fall of Doriath, is for another day.