PDA

View Full Version : Don't be too hasty...

Theoric Windcaller
10-19-2003, 08:14 AM
This topic is, of course, regarding Treebeard and the Ents. Now, we are all familiar with the siege of Isengard, when the Ents gathered at the Entmoot and decided to march forth. And we are all familiar with the Ents taking Isengard from Saruman.

What ever happened to the Ents after that? after the chapter, Flotsam and Jetsam I believe, do we hear much about the Ents? Unless I missed something. WHat do you think happened?

My guess is that they desecrated Isengard and its tunnels and went back to Fangorn.

Anyone know anything about this?

Lord of Angmar
10-19-2003, 08:47 AM
They stood watch at Isengard during the time of the War of the Ring, and eventually Treebeard, out of pity (and perhaps also because of the trickery of Saruman's voice), released Saruman and Wormtongue.

After that, the Ents were given control of Fangorn in its entirety by the King Elessar, I believe.

Olorin_TLA
10-19-2003, 03:23 PM
And co-control of Orthanc as well, I think.

Inziladun
10-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Of course in the end, the Ents 'declined'(inevitably: as Treebeard said, there were no Entings). Ents and all other 'speaking peoples' vanished from Middle Earth to make way for the Dominion of Men.

Olorin_TLA
10-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Yeah...I hate us Men. smilies/frown.gif I'm off to become I'm Ent.

TealDude4
10-21-2003, 06:41 AM
According to Appendix B in ROTK, the Ents did a few things that aren't mentioned.

]March

11th
Gollum visits Shelob, but seeing Frodo asleep nearly repents. Denethor sends Faramir to Osgiliath. Aragorn reaches Linhir and crosses Lebennin. Eastern Rohan is invaded from the north. First assult on Lorien.

12th
Gollum leads Frodo into Shelob's lair. Faramir retreats to the Causeway Forts. Theoden camps under Minrimmon. Aragorn drives the enemy towards Pelargir. The Ents defeat the invaders of Rohan.

Eggy
10-21-2003, 11:05 AM
If the Ents did leave ME where did they go? Do you think that they would have been allowed into the undieing lands to live with the vala?? Or did they simply go back to "sleep" and dweel yet in the deep dark forestd of ME?

Olorin_TLA
10-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Seems like they died/went treeish... :'(

Orophin
04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
I agree with windcaller for the most part. I assume that they stayed at Isengard for quite a while and made it a "beautiful" place. I think that it became their stronghold for a while then when Aragorn came to be king they probably went back to Fangorn forest.

Mad Baggins
04-27-2004, 08:17 PM
I think that after WotR, the Ents probably did go back to sleep and become more treeish. They had no purpose to stay active and awake, so they most likely just rooted themselves in the ground and stayed in Fangorn for the rest of their days. I don't see any other way they could have "left" ME. They would be a tad big for the ships to the Undying Lands.

Dininziliel
05-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Every time I re-read LotR, I take a bit more time for longer looks at trees. I have to entertain the notion that perhaps one of them is a descendant of the Fangorn Ents. After awhile, since I get no waving hello of a branch, and since the trees seem to always be in the same spot, I forget to look and wonder. Then, I'll re-read LotR, and wonder all over again. Can't help it! Then again, trees do wave, don't they? Heehee. In fact, they wave a lot!

Lhunardawen
05-04-2004, 12:43 AM
They probably stayed for a while and cleaned up the mess they made in Isengard until Aragorn returned there to search the whole place of the loot Saruman hid from them. Treebeard hasn't mentioned anything about going back to Fangorn Forest right away when they met Frodo and the rest on their way home.

Olorin_TLA
05-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Oh, they also destoryed an army of invading Orks trying to get at Rohan from the north.