PDA

View Full Version : LotR meets Christmas carols

Arwen Imladris
10-12-2002, 09:25 PM
O.K. This is a song by Knight of Gondor, he put it in the movies The Twelve Days of Christmas: Waiting for The Two Towers (http://http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001183) anyway, We thought that it should also go here. Feel free to post any christmas LOTR songs.

Here it is. Pretty good, eh?

Okay, it was madness, sheer madness that made me decide to adapt The Twelve Days of Christmas to Lord of the Rings, but I'm sure some of you will get a big kick out of it. Here it is.

12 Days of Christmas: Waiting for The Two Towers

On the First day of waiting a big fan gave to me: A Ring to Rule Them All

On the second day of waiting a big fan gave to me: Two Frodo dolls and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Third day of waiting a big fan gave to me: Three Elven Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Fourth day of waiting a big fan gave to me: Four pointy ears, Three Elven Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Fifth day of waiting a big fan gave to me: FIVE GOLDEN RINGS Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Sixth day of waiting a big fan gave to me: Six orcs a’fightin’, : FIVE GOLDEN RINGS Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Seventh day of waiting a big fan gave to me: Seven Dwarven Rings Six orcs a’fightin’, FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Eighth day of waiting, a big fan gave to me: Eight Rohan-Riders Seven Dwarven Rings, Six orcs a’fightin’, FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Ninth day of waiting, a big fan gave to me: Nine Nazgûl, Eight Rohan-Riders, Seven Dwarven Rings, Six orcs a’fightin’, FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Tenth day of waiting, a big fan gave to me: Ten bouts with Gollum, Nine Nazgûl, Eight Rohan-Riders, Seven Dwarven Rings, Six orcs a’fightin’, FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Eleventh day of waiting, a big fan gave to me: Eleven moving forests, Ten bouts with Gollum, Nine Nazgûl, Eight Rohan-Riders, Seven Dwarven Rings, Six orcs a’fightin’, FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls, and a Ring to Rule Them All

On the Twelfth day of waiting, a big fan gave to me: 12 LOYAL HOBBITS... Eleven moving forests, Ten bouts with Gollum, Nine Nazgûl, Eight Rohan-Riders, Seven Dwarven Rings, Six orcs a’fightin’, FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, Four pointy ears, Three Elf-Bows, Two Frodo dolls...aaand a Riiiing to Ruuuuule Them Alllllll!

It's kinda rough, and it needs some adjustment, but I thought I'd throw it out there before someone else thought it up.

Diamond18
10-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Whew, I thought I would never come up with a halfway good idea for this one, but after minimal thought, here's something anyway...

Rudolph, the red-nosed Ringwraith
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You would even say it glows

All of the other Ringwraiths
They used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Rudolph
Join in any Ringwraith games

Then one foggy Mordor night,
Sauron came to say:
"Rudolph with your nose so bright
Won't you find my Ring tonight?"

Then all the Ringwraiths loved him
As they shouted out with glee
Rudolph the red-nosed Ringwraith
You'll go down in history!

Hey! It's something isn't it? smilies/tongue.gif

Raefindel
10-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Great job, ladies! I enjoyed those, and I'll see what I can come up with myself.

gralin musicteeth
10-13-2002, 01:58 PM
OH Mordor Night...
the orcs are brutally fighting
sauron is sad because he lost his ring.

there's a big spider
who likes to eat little hobbits
and one big eye that is lookintheotherway

and at the gates Gandalf is slowly talking
to the Mouth of Sauron, this really ugly dude...

don't Faaaaall off the mount
sam might give you a piggy back
oh throw the ring in..
don't keep it for your self.

throooow iiiit iiin dammit!
or maybe gollum
will do it for yooooooooou!!!!

it's lame, but oh well

Raefindel
10-13-2002, 02:26 PM
No! I liked it,gralin .Do you really want your name spelled in the lower case? Welcome to the Downs.

Celebmornie
10-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Those are really good!

Knight of Gondor
10-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Well...these are...interesting. Rudolph could use a little more adapting...throw a Sauron and Ringwraith and Mordor in thar, but otherwise...

I'll see if I can't whip something else up in my spare time. (Which I may have a BIT more of, now that I'm through with the PSAT!)

But...no, we can't adapt O Holy Night. It's too beautiful. We can use it for an Elvish song (such as the song of Nimrodel), but we can't make it silly. 'Tis a desecration.

Diamond18
10-16-2002, 09:59 AM
O Knight of Song Critics...be careful, you'll find a great deal of shocking desecration in Middle-earth Mayhem.

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Lady_Galadriel
10-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Those are all so awsome!!!!

Coral
10-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Jingle bells
Sauron Smells
Frodo found a ring
Gandalf told him goodbye go
Off to mordor now
Hey

He went through the shire
Off to the town of bree
Met a ranger name strider
Went to weather top

Oh then they went to rivendell
Sat in a council
Then they went to Moria
Got chased by a balrog

TBC.....

hobbitlass
10-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Okay Knight of Gondor, how is this...

Chain-mail rings, are you listenin'?
In the pits, blood is glistenin'.
It's a hideous sight,
We're fightin' tonight.
Walkin' in a Gondor wonderland.

In the meadow, we can build a big Grond,
and pretend that it is Parson Brown.
We'll have lots of fun with the big Grond,
until the Gondorlinies knock it down.

Later on we'll conspire.
Throw chopped off heads, along with fire.
It's a hideous sight,
We're fightin' tonight.
Walkin' in a Gondor wonderland.

-OR-

Jewish Saruman sings...
Orci Orci Orci
I made you out of clay
when you're born and ready
than killin' you will play.

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: hobbitlass ]

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: hobbitlass ]

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: hobbitlass ]

Knight of Gondor
10-17-2002, 08:42 PM
Okay Hobbitlass, you elicited a grin on that one. But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Jewish song.

Artanis
10-17-2002, 08:55 PM
It's the dredle song... you know
Dredle, Dredle, Dredle,
I made you out of clay,
Dredle, Dredle, Dredle,
and with you I will play...

and so on and so forth... I'm not Jewish, but I did watch the Sherri Lweis show as a kid...

Diamond18
10-18-2002, 11:00 AM
It's actually spelled dreidel and it is this:

1: a 4-sided toy marked with Hebrew letters and spun like a top in a game of chance
2: a children's game of chance played esp. at Hanukkah with a dreidel
(C)1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All rights reserved.

Well I was going to mention I got that from my computer dictionary, but I see that they took care of all the pertinent information themselves. smilies/rolleyes.gif

(I'd post another song, but all the ones I know well enough to manipulate are sacred hymns and I ain't going there.)

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

hobbitlass
10-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Hahaha! I say that all is fair in love and desecrating christmas carols! smilies/evil.gif

Knight of Gondor, I am glad to have put a grin on your face. And where is YOUR carol that you promised us?

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: hobbitlass ]

DarkRose
10-19-2002, 04:13 PM
Hey those are all great! You people are really clever. Well, here is what my brother and I can conduct:

Up on the rooftop Gandalf crawls,
not imprisoned by doors or walls.

Stuck up there by that great height,
Gandalf sits staring into the night.

No no no
he couldn't go.

On the quest
with poor Frodo

Up comes Saruman click click click
Jump on the eagle quick quick quick!

[That referred to when Gandalf is trapped on the roof of Orthanc. smilies/tongue.gif)

Twas' a bit rough, heh, but oh well.

Oh, and if anyone couldn't tell, that was made from the carol 'Up on the Rooftop'. Except in the real carol, of course, it talked about Santa Clause. smilies/tongue.gif

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: DarkRose ]

Diamond18
10-19-2002, 05:43 PM
I loved that one, DarkRose! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/jump.gif

Man, I am going to have to try thinking of another one...maybe go out and rifle through my ancient easy piano Christmas music books...

Kalimac
10-20-2002, 01:24 AM
It's late, but here's my effort:

[For Celeborn and Galadriel]

We two Elves of Lorien are
Bearing gifts for those from afar
Travelers weary, stay and tarry
Here with the Morning Star.

[chorus]
Oh Ring of Power, Ring of Might,
Ring of deadly beauty bright
This weapon dark with Sauron's mark
Would it had never seen the light.

Earth is thine, thou Gardener strong
Though you may have to keep it long
Before the day when thou canst say
This earth shall heal thy homeland's wrong.

A strand of gold I give to thee
Thou Dwarf, so that the world may see
That though your race here may not pass
Yet still I say you may love me.

A captured star I shall bestow
Upon the bearer, who shall know
A torment grim in caverns dim
But this shall aid when all lights go.

Oh Ring of Power, Ring of Might
Ring of deadly beauty bright
This weapon dark with Sauron's mark
Would it had never seen the light.

Orodoliel
10-20-2002, 02:45 AM
I haven't actually written it but...

O Christmas Tree = O Mallorn Tree

Anastasia
10-20-2002, 03:42 AM
I dont know if this qualifies as a carol but,

I'm dreaming of the one riiing
Just like the one I used to own
Which kills men so their blood glistens
And their scared children listen
To hear my Nazgul come along....

I'm dreaming of the one riiiiing
With every creature that I kill
May your days be extra scareee
And may all your riiings come to me

Whaddaya think?
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/invasion.gif

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Anastasia ]

Diamond18
10-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Funny! Twisted, but funny.

Now I'll try again:

Here comes Saruman, here comes Saruman,
Chopping down Bag-shot row!
Men and Orcs, they call him 'Sharks',
He's coming for you, you know!

(Lame, lousey, I know.) smilies/confused.gif

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Knight of Gondor
10-20-2002, 03:19 PM
Hey! I like some of these. At least, the adaptation of We Three Kings. I'll give you a list of some of the ones I came up with this weekend, and you all pick which one you want me to work on first.

Perhaps Good King Theoden? Or does Deck the Halls with boughs of mithril sound better? Let me look at this Christmas hymn book...okay, choose your pick.
"While Treebeard watched his flock by day", the rest of this would be something like "while watching all aroo-ound two hobbits came wal-king about, and stumbled on the ground...AND stumbled ON the ground. Oh,
"Hark! the Wraith’s last cry is shouted,
hail Dernhelm, the Victor’ous! (Hark! The Hereld Angels Sing)

Or how about "O come, little hob-bits, oh come, one and all. To Bag-End, to Frodo, so kingly and tall" (That one was a little more off the beaten path, it's called O Come Little Children) Or how about “Frodo take your lit-tle sword, Samwise bring your pans aaand come, there are orcs a’bustin’ in, wham-whack-bang-crash-boom, pat-a-pat-a-PAN, Samwise whacked an orc, now he’s gettin’ the hang of iiiiiit”

No, no, wait, how’s this? “Jolly old Saint Mithranir, Thrust your staff this way!”

And let’s not even MENTION what I could do with “I Saw Three Ships” in respect to the fleet that Aragorn captured and used to rescue Gondor.

I’m being BOMBARDED with inspiration! How about “Nazgûl we have heard on high, sourly crying o’er the plains”

Any more ideas? I don't always have time, but when I do, I could cook up some more of these. Oh, how about "Away on a dark stair, no place for a bed...the lit-tle Ringbearer lay down his sweet head...that menace Smeagol comes back with a plan...but nearly repents when he sees him with Sam." (That, of course, is Away in a Manger.)

I have to stop! I'm getting Christmas fever!!!

gralin musicteeth
10-20-2002, 04:48 PM
I apologise if I offended anyone with my desecration. i suppose the little hobbit boy wouldn't earn me any favour.... smilies/evil.gif

Knight of Gondor
10-20-2002, 07:54 PM
Not really...but you are forgiven. smilies/wink.gif

Diamond18
10-20-2002, 08:06 PM
"Good King Theoden looked out, on the fields of Rohan"...Hm, I like that one. Work on that one. Then do "I saw three ships".

To Bag-End, to Frodo, so kingly and tall

Am I missing something? Frodo, TALL? http://plauder-smilies.de/wavey.gif

[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

InklingElf
10-20-2002, 08:10 PM
hehehe harharhar! sry I'm a spectator and Iwant to see more! smilies/smile.gif keep on keeping on! :;giggle:: ehehehe

Brinniel
10-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Here's my attempt. Sorry if it sounds dumb. I'm not much of a songwriter.

(To the tune of "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas" sung by Gandalf)

Frodo Baggins; come here lad
Lean your ear this way
Don't you tell a single soul
What I'm gonna say
Nine Ringwraiths are coming soon
They are looking for your ring
You must flee from Hobbiton
And destroy it if you can

Samwise has been eavesdropping
He will come with you
Into Mordor you will go
And destroy the ring
Many troubles will pass you
Orcs and trolls and wraiths
Just make sure you complete the task
And save Middle-earth

Knight of Gondor
10-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Here's some more ideas I'm throwing out.

(Tune: While by my sheep I watched at Night) Climb mountain steep, creep up by night, Ringbearer small, we know your plight, how great our hope (great our hope) HOPE HOPE HOPE! (Second verse) Come from afar with three small friends, he now will take from us this sin!

Next tune: O Christmas Tree. O Numenor, O Numenor how fair was thine White Tree-ee.

Next: O Come All Ye Faithful. O Come All ye Swarthy, skilled fight-ers of Gonnn-dor, O come ye, o come ye to de-fend Helm's Deep.

Here's just the title...I'm not sure if I can make any/all of these work, really. O Little Town of Hobbiton.

Or how about (What Child is This?) What Man is this, this Aragorn? (Perhaps from a Boromir standpoint)

Okay, (Bring A Torch, Jenette Isabella) BRING a sword, Legolas and Gimli, BRING a sword Boromir's 'bout to fall.

(Ding-dong Merrily on High) Screaming Horribly On High...the Ringwraiths all are screaming.

(Go, Tell it on the Mountain) Go! Throw it off a mountain, travel the dark road to Mount DOOM

(Lo, How a Rose E'er blooming...no Orlando Bloom jokes here) Lo, how a hero's blooming...Samwise the gardner hath sprung.

That's all, and that's enough. Take a vote or something, but I don't know if I'll be able to make them fit to a total song or not. Oh! Here's my completed version for Away on a Dark Stair (Away in a Manger)

Away on a dark stair, no place for a bed,
The Little Ringbearer lay down his sweet head
That menace Smeagol came back with a plan
But nearly repented when he saw him with Sam

A change came o’er Gollum, an old thing became
His malice rescinded, his plan was his shame
Then Samwise awoke and shouted at him there
Then Frodo awakened there on that dark stair

Gollum’s plan so wicked was back in his mind
To lead the poor hobbits for Shelob to bind
But Frodo, heroic, pulled his Elven Light
And Shelob backed off not expecting a fight

I was going to continue, but I couldn't find a rhyme for "web", and I felt I should keep it to it's original three verses.

Knight of Gondor
10-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Well?

hobbitlass
10-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Away on the dark stairs put a tear in my eye.
And I would like to see Go throw it off the mountain totally done. It makes me laugh.

Diamond18
10-23-2002, 10:56 PM
*ahem* I am still waiting for your renditions of "Good King Theoden" and "I Saw Three Ships."

Arwen1858
10-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Oh, Kalimac, yours was so good!! I'm going to try to write one later and see what I come up with. I'll post it on here if I think of anything.
Arwen

hey, I just got promoted!! I'm a Haunting Spirit instead of an animated skeleton!

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen1858 ]

Kalimac
10-24-2002, 07:46 PM
Thank you, Arwen and Knight smilies/biggrin.gif . I think they're all pretty cool.

Is it OK if I co-opt the "I Saw Three Ships" idea later (I mean if no one posts anything on it in the meantime)? Somehow that one is really weirdly inspiring. How about something along the lines of "O Come All Ye Faithful"? (O come all ye ...um, hobbits I guess). Of course to be in the true spirit of the original it would have to be partly in Elvish which I don't know much of. How do you say "Joyful and triumphant" in Quenya?

Knight of Gondor
10-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Okay, I confess, I don't really know the tune for I Saw Three Ships, except according to Mannheim Steamroller's (http://www.mannheimsteamroller.com)Christmas music. (Which is totally awesome!!!) And, while they have awesome tunes, they can't really be trusted for maintaining a tune's true properties.

And Good King Theoden has me a bit stumped. Don't get me wrong, I'm working on it, I'm just tryin' to get the verses all right and everything. Be patient! (I've also got another important thing to work on...Algebra II!!) smilies/eek.gif

Kalimac
10-24-2002, 09:33 PM
Oh, "Three Ships" isn't too hard. It just goes, Dah-DAH, dah-dah, dah-DAH-dah-dah...Oh, wait smilies/biggrin.gif . If you want to hear the original version of it, though, the Alfred Deller consortium has a nice recording of it and a lot of the other non-Muzak-oriented Christmas carols like "Lullay, lullay" and "Tomorrow Will Be My Dancing Day". (I'd love to do a Rings version of that, but was afraid not too many people would get it. Has anyone else heard it? John Rutter did a version of it as well).

Anyway, back to the topic - you don't really need the tune, just get a copy of the lyrics and try to write a poem that copies the meter, and the problem of fitting the tune should take care of itself.

[Kalimac dismounts from soapbox].

Anastasia
10-25-2002, 11:36 AM
I just found this in my school hymn-book, don't you find it eerily relevant to LOTR?

Gabriel's message does away
Satan's curse and Satan's sway
Out of darkness brings our Day:
So, behold,
All the gates of heaven unfold

He that comes despised shall reign;
He that cannot die, be slain;
Death by death its death shall gain:

Weakness shall the strong confound;
By the hands, in grave-clothes wound,
Adam's chains shall be unbound:

By the sword that was his own,
By that sword and that alone,
Shall Goliath be o'erthrown:

Art by art shall be assailed;
To the cross shall life be nailed:
From the grave shall hope be hailed:

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/tiere/grommit.gif I think thats scary to be honest!

Arwen Imladris
10-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Well, I have discovered that you can relate just about anything to LOTR, but I must admit that that song is pretty scary!

By the sword that was his own,
By that sword and that alone,

hehehehehehe! smilies/tongue.gif

Arwen1858
10-25-2002, 02:18 PM
You'd be amazed at how many things I relate to LOTR! I find a way to connect just about anything to it!!
Arwen

gralin musicteeth
10-29-2002, 01:17 PM
(To the tune of Frosty the Snowman)

Frodo the Hobbit
Frodo the hobbit
was a jolly happy soul
until Gandalf came
and then explained
he must leave his hobbit hole.

Sammy went with him
and for Crickhollow they set
with their friend Pippin
cause Bilbo had to win
the riddle game with Gollum.

There must have been some magic in that old gold ring he got
and that's the reason why he had to leave his beloved spot.
OH!

Frodo the hobbit
got to Rivendell they say
and he made his way
both night and day
all the way to Orodruin.

poor frosty. what a desecration. smilies/rolleyes.gif

LePetitChoux
10-29-2002, 02:18 PM
I particularly (sp?) like the verse with
He that comes despised shall reign;
He that cannot die, be slain;
Death by death its death shall gain

And if you change a few things in the 1st verse you get:

Galadriel's message does away
Sauron's curse and Sauron's sway
Out of darkness brings our Day:
So behold,
The gates of Mordor unfold.

I'm sorry for any disrespect... smilies/smile.gif

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]

Rimbaud
10-29-2002, 03:50 PM
*A barrage of flaming trout annhilates the offending (sp?)*

TolkienGurl
10-29-2002, 08:11 PM
Flaming trout??? smilies/eek.gif

Arwen1858
10-29-2002, 08:31 PM
gralin musicteeth ~ I loved Frodo the Hobbit!!! I was a bit down, cuz I have a LOT to do, and things aren't going to great with my papers I have to write. That laugh was just what I needed to boost my spirits! smilies/smile.gif
Arwen

Knight of Gondor
10-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Anastasia, I've never heard that tune/song before...but it sounds cool.

Gralin musicteeth, I must say I like that version of Frosty...I like hearing about a daring hobbit rather than a silly snowman any day!

TolkienGurl
10-30-2002, 09:01 AM
From the song: Up on the Housetop

Up on the top of Barad-dur
Sauron reaps his plan, so sure
He's gonna catch the little "Man"
Who's carrying his precious golden band.

Oh Oh No!
Run, Frodo!
Oh Oh No!
The wraiths are coming.

Up on the top of Barad-dur
Sauron reaps his plan, so sure.

Do you like it? smilies/biggrin.gif Please say you do!

gralin musicteeth
10-30-2002, 09:48 AM
i like it

TolkienGurl
10-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanks! That makes me feel good. smilies/smile.gif

TolkienGurl
10-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Oh Mallorn tree! Oh Mallorn tree!
How golden are your branches!

Your trunk so smooth, yet strong as stone,
Your beauty none but Elves have known.

TolkienGurl
10-30-2002, 05:35 PM
To the tune "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas"

I'm dreaming of the Great Eye
It haunts my thoughts where e'er I go.
When the night is cold
I feel its hold
Within the Ring that I now own.

I'm dreaming of the Great Eye
It makes me weep and hang my head.
I can't take this torment
Please, hold my hand, Sam
For we are in the Land of Death.

I can't remember anymore of the tune! smilies/frown.gif

Diamond18
10-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Those are great, TolkienGurl! smilies/smile.gif

TolkienGurl
10-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Thag you very buch! smilies/biggrin.gif I am lucky to have a creative mind. (thanks mom & dad!)

TolkienGurl
10-30-2002, 07:35 PM
Well, I went to dinner at Little Caesars with my boyfriend and his friend, and during all the debates about who is best for Michigan governor, I was inspired to write this song. It goes to the tune for Silent Night, or Stille Nacht. smilies/wink.gif

Ring of Power
Sauron's Power
Forged in the Mountain of Fire
Once in time was Isildur's Bane,
Gollum, he it overcame.
Bilbo left it to Frodo.
He must destroy it, you know.

Knight of Gondor
10-30-2002, 10:04 PM
TolkienGurl, don't you mean "He should destroy it you knoooow-ow...he should destroy it you know. But do you mean to tell me that you were thinking of ME and my BRILLIANT ideas for Christmas songs for TTT? YES!

TolkienGurl
10-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Well, yes as a matter of fact I was, Knight of Gondor! smilies/biggrin.gif

Actually, I did do it right:

Bilbo left it to Frooo-dooo.
He must destroy it you know.

Sorry if it was confusing!
smilies/wink.gif

[ October 31, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]

TolkienGurl
10-31-2002, 01:35 PM
To the tune "What Child Is This"

What mystery is this I see?
A Halfling carryin' the Ring
Forged in the depths of Death and Gloom.
He, Sauron's Doom will bring.

Fight! Fight till Death may die!
There will be hope when the King arrives!
Haste! Haste to Gondors aid,
The King of Men is coming!

gralin musicteeth
11-05-2002, 06:58 PM
Ringwraiths scream
Are ya listenin'?
on the Downs
fog is glistenin'
a terrible sight, we're frightened tonight
making our way all the way to Bree.

in the inn there we will meet a Ranger
and this Ranger's name is Aragorn
he'll say "Can I come too?"
we'll say shore'n
but first we have to leave this little town.

later on
we'll perspire
as we sit by a fire
on one side of the ford
never done this before
trying to get Frodo to Rivendell.

oh well. i tried. me tired. beddy bye

Diamond18
11-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Well, my patience in waiting for "Good King Théoden" is all worn out. So I'm just going to write it myself.

Good King Théoden looked out
On the plains of Rohan,
When the Orcs lay all about,
Dead and cleaved and broken.

Strangely stood the Huorns that morn,
For they weren't there be-fo-ore.
Then a Wizard came in sight,
And he knew about Fa-ang-orn.

"Hither, friend, and stand by me,
If thou know'st it, telling,
Yonder trees tall, what are they?
Where and what their dwelling?"

"Sire, they live a good league hence,
By the Misty Mou-ountains;
Right against Isengard's fence,
By Orthanc's tow'r and fou-ountains!"

"Bring my sword and bring my maille,
Bring my horses and my guard;
Thou and I will ride the trail,
Forth to the ruins of Isengard."

King and Wizard forth they went,
Forth they went toge-ether
Through the Huorns to meet the Ent,
And with them went Three Hu-unters.

Well it isn't the best, but it is a very difficult song. I know I didn't get all the rhymes right...but that wierd stretching two syllable words into three syllables thing is a real pain.

Merry_Pippin_Frodo_Sam
11-28-2002, 09:04 PM
ok, sorry, my brain is fried... but!!! we can't let this thread die before Christmas!!!!
i need to annoy all my friends with them!!!!
smilies/wink.gif

Knight of Gondor
11-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Diamond: It works! I'd given up myself, sorry, but it was hard. Plus, I had it more detailed, having it describe the healing of Theoden. "Brightly shone Gan-dalf that day" was the line I was trying to incorporate in place of "Brightly shone the Moon that night". But you've succeeded nicely.

Joy
11-28-2002, 10:48 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome! Kalimac - I haven't heard Lully Lulay in years. Our college choir did an arangement of it with O Come, O Come Emanuel.

I wish I could come up with some of these, you guys are very good.

Anastasia, I haven't heard that song before, but WOW! That one barely needs changing.

VanimaEdhel
11-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Carol of the Elves

Hark how the Elves
Sweet Silvan Elves
All love to sing
With mead they bring.
Elf bards are here
Bringing good cheer
To Dark or Grey
Hear tunes they play.

A! Elbereth!
That's how it is
With joyful ring
All joyous sing.
E'en Dwarves can hear
Kind thoughts and cheer
From everywhere
Filling the air.

Gaily they sing
Others are joining
Songs of good cheer
The Eldar are here.

Meren, meren, meren, meren beleth.
Meren, meren, meren, meren beleth.

On they lament
On without end
Their lovely tone
To every home...

(repeat entire song)

Ui-ann-thennath
Linin.

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]

Diamond18
12-07-2002, 10:44 AM
That was lovely, Vanima. smilies/smile.gif I've been searching all over for this thread...I missed it and ended up on page four thinking, where is it?????

Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to do my favorite Christmas song "Down in Yon Forest", but I just can't think of anything! So I ended up just using my favorite verse as a special "Christmas season only signature".

But if anyone else can LotRize it that would be cool. If any of you all want to give it a whirl, here (http://hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/down_in_yon_forest.htm) is a link to the lyrics.

Precioussss
12-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Away on the Barrow-Downs

Away on the Barrow-Downs
no clear sky to see,
the little Barrow-Wight
lived were there were no trees.
The stars in the foggy sky
could barely be seen,
the little Hobbits wandered around in the green.

Frodo:
I can't find Merry or Pip
or even ol' Sam
I am very frightend,
don't know where I am.
I hope they are not hurt
why don't they keep up?
I hope I can count on
Old Tom for some help.

Sam, Merry, and Pippin:
Come near us dear Frodo
save us from distress.
There's a sword on our throats
Sam:
And I'm wearing a dress!
Frodo:
I'll call for Tom Bombadil
he will help us for sures,
I'll sing the song he taught us
now what were the words!!

Meela
12-07-2002, 11:54 AM
i havent read all the posts so i dont know if anyone has done "Away With A Ranger"...

Away with a ranger
On travels so far
To visit Lord Elrond
And Arwen Evenstar

The stars in the bright sky
Looked down where I lay
As Strider sent the Nazgul
Running far far away

The Nazgul are lowing
As they are swept away
By the river of horses
That Gandalf has made

I love thee Lord Elrond
You have healed me well
And i pray we meet again
Though when i cannot tell

its not very good... i just made it up off the top of my head, and i cant remember the original words. feel free to sugest improvements smilies/smile.gif

Diamond18
12-07-2002, 12:35 PM
What are you talking about, Meela??? That was very good! Yours, too, Preciousss...I especially liked the last verse. smilies/wink.gif

To the tune of "The Holly and the Ivy":

The Hobbit and the Human,
When they are both full grown,
The Human is the taller one,
But the Hobbit bears the Ring.

CHORUS
Oh the rousing of the Ents,
The scouring of the Shire,
The questing of the Fellowship,
Sweet singing of the Elves.

The Hobbit bears the One Ring,
As gold as any other,
But Evil is that little thing,
And it must be thrown in the fire.

CHORUS

The Entings and the Entwifes,
Oh, where have they all gone?
Of all the trees that are in the wood,
They have not been seen for so long.

CHORUS

The Ranger bears a sword,
The sword that was reforged,
And Boromir blew on his horn,
But it didn't do much good.

CHORUS

The Dwarf he bears an axe,
And the Elf he has a bow,
Of all the Orcs that were slain that night,
'Twas the Dwarf that killed the most.

CHORUS

The Hobbit has nine fingers,
The One Ring it is now gone,
And so the Quest is ended now,
And Gollum is no more.

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Meela
12-07-2002, 12:44 PM
ty smilies/smile.gif im flattered!

Knight of Gondor
12-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Hey! I like it, I like it! I already did a version of Away in a Manger, but yours is good too! Keep it up ya'll...it's only 18 days more until Christmas!

VanimaEdhel
12-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Good King Aragorn looked out
On the Fields of Pelennor
Where the Orcs lay round about
Dead so they will kill no more.

Brightly shown Earendil
Giving light to Frodo
Fate it seems shown down then too
So Gollum then could fall below...

Sorry, that just came into my head and I had to type it...

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]