PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget

gralin musicteeth
11-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Tomorrow, November 11th, is Remembrance Day. (in Canada, anyway) and I thought that everyone should take some time to remember all those who died in war so that we might live in peace. These young people did not know what awaited them in war, nor did they know that what they did would have an impact on the rest of the world for all time.

Canadians will be at memorials and services tomorrow, and on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, there will be two minutes of silence across the country. Two minutes in which all those who died and all those who fought and lived will be honoured. Even if you are not Canadian or you do not observe this holiday, take time to reflect and be thankful that people you did not even know were willing to give up their lives for future generations.

Do not hate.War is started because of hate. They did not give up their lives so future generations could live in hate and intolerance. No, those brave men and women died so that we who are left can love one another, not hate.

Remember, and be thankful.

Oh God of hosts be with us yet, lest we forget, lest we forget

Precioussss
11-10-2002, 08:32 PM
In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row.
That mark our place
and in the sky the larks still bravely singing fly
scarce heard amid the guns below

We are the dead
short days ago we lived
felt dawn, saw sunset glow
loved and were loved,
and now we lie in Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe
to you from failing hands we throw
the torch
be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
we shall not sleep.
Though poppies grow
in Flanders Fields

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Precioussss ]

Saurannűn the Wood Elf
11-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Today, during my high school's Ceremony, I played the Last Post and Réveillé, then sang One Tin Soldier for my peers. At first, I didn't think that the song had anything to do with Rememberance Day, but understand with me:

Listen children to a story, that was written long ago, about a kingdom on a mountain and the valley folk below:
On the mountain was a treasure, buried deep beneath a stone; and the valley people swore they'd have it for their very own.

CHORUS
Go on and hate your neighbor,
go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
you can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
come the judgement day.
On the bloody morning after
one tin soldier rides away

Then the people of the valley sent a message up the hill,
asking for the buried treasure
tons of gold for which they'd kill smilies/eek.gif
Came the message from the kingdom:
"With our brothers we will share
all the secrets of our mountain
all the riches buried there."

CHORUS

Then the valley roared in anger
"Mount your horses! Draw your swords!"
And they killed the mountain people,
so they won their just rewards.
Now they stand beside the treasure
on that mountain dark and red.
They turned the stone and looked beneath it. . .
"Peace on Earth" was all it said

CHORUS

Now do you know? It's touching, isn't it?

Arwen Imladris
11-11-2002, 03:37 PM
I love One Tin Soldier, it is rather depressing but I still love it. We had a ceremony at my school as well, the only thing that anyone sang was O Canada, 2 violins played some other song during the 2 min of silence, but it was pretty sad. The rest of it good, Powerpoint, speakers, personal stories, all round good. Does anyone know anyone in the army? Anyone in the army? No-one in my family was, my grandparents were all either too young or had jobs that were "essential". Oh well.

Raefindel
11-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Here in the US we call it Veteran's Day. It is to show our gratitude to those who serve or have served in the Armed Forces. Not to be confused with Memorial Day, usually May 30th, intended to Remember those who died in military service.

Service Men and Women, I salute You!

*Varda*
11-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Here in the UK, we call it Remembrance Day. The services are normally on the Sunday, because it's awkward on other days for everyone I guess...anyway Sunday's just a nice day to do it, and there's the wee parade and all the red poppies and stuff. It's really nice.

Precioussss
11-11-2002, 05:14 PM
both my grandfathers and my great grandfather were in the wars. my great-grandfather died some years ago from the after-effects of mustard gas. I have heard stories that would make anyones blood run cold, how they saw their buddies die beneath their feet. There should be no need for military people. no need for guns, wars, murder. there should be peace. I would praise the lord all the rest of my days if I woke up tomorrow and saw there was no need for the military. but there is, and I stand behind peacekeepers the whole way. Not behind those who start wars, who kill innocent people.

Have you seen those little children on their bed of pain, and hoped to God in Heaven this would never be again?