PDA

View Full Version : Real LOTR Places

Brinniel
09-27-2002, 09:46 PM
I know people have posted LOTR street names and such, but here are some actual pictures of places with LOTR names.

Rivendell Apartment
http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net/tookish/images/080102_rivendell.jpg

I would like to eat here.
http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net/tookish/images/080102_grill.jpg

And it's Rohan!
http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net/tookish/images/080102_rohan.jpg

NazgulNumberTen
09-27-2002, 09:53 PM
there is a restaurant called the hobbit. i have been there.

Tigerlily Gamgee
09-28-2002, 12:38 AM
I know where a Pippin's Tavern is. smilies/smile.gif

Rose Cotton
09-28-2002, 05:28 AM
I once saw a place named Galadriel's Jewlery Store. Too bad I didn't get a picture.

Lady_Báin
09-28-2002, 08:04 AM
there's a store called Gimli's golf store but i don't have a digital camera/scanner so i can't share.. smilies/confused.gif but it's fun to think of dwarves playing golf

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]

Anastasia
09-28-2002, 08:28 AM
I know an office company called Lorien. I pass it on the way to my friend's house. Only the O doesnt have an accent on it.

Isilya
09-28-2002, 01:09 PM
In Minnesota, there's a travel agency called Hobbit Travel!!

VanimaEdhel
09-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Yeah: I know about the Lorien thing. Once, I was bored so I typed lorien.com and it took me to the company site...I got freaked out and left the website...

Orome
09-29-2002, 01:35 PM
there is a middle earth music hall near my house, i have never gone though. the website is http://www.middle-earth-music.com/

Tigerlily Gamgee
09-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Oh yeah... there is a store in Ann Arbor, MI called Middle Earth. They have a bunch of new age items (jewelry, candles) and a bunch of pop culture things (lots of tees), but not too much LOTR stuff smilies/confused.gif

Tigerlily Gamgee
09-29-2002, 02:32 PM
You should sent those to the BW. He has a section for LOTR signs, maybe he'd make one for places. I plan on taking pics of these when I get the chance.

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas
09-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Heheh, If I ever deside on takeing a road trip(When I get older, that is) I'm deffently gonna visit these places smilies/smile.gif

Isilya
09-29-2002, 03:03 PM
I'll join ya!!

Aryan
01-31-2003, 02:16 PM
i passed the sigh for a place called Tuckborough well i think thats how it was spelt but the thought flashed through my mind that if i ever learn to drive, i'm gona go there smilies/smile.gif maybe i'll meet some hobbits, maybe i'll meet some Tooks..maybe i'll meet Pippin!!!! YAY!!

Arien
01-31-2003, 02:26 PM
I have been in to a Archer shop called Legolas'.

And........

I live near a Farm called Buckland farm.......... I guess that kind of relates

Horse-Maiden of the Shire
02-01-2003, 11:23 PM
I put this in another thread but about two or three hours from my town is a town called Gimli. Heh heh heh...

Morgul Queen
02-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Well I live near a place called Kaitoke reserve, but it is known through out the world as Rivendell...

Maylin
02-06-2003, 08:49 PM
during youth group camps, my group is usually with a group from BRANDYWINE!

Brinniel
05-26-2003, 10:41 AM
A phone book can do wonders. I found a Greenleaf Cafe and several Greenleaf stores (most likely started up by fangirls smilies/wink.gif ). I also found in the phone book Greenwood Apartments.

Shy Hobbit
05-26-2003, 07:02 PM
There is a nearby apartment complex called Brandywine smilies/biggrin.gif There's also a Greenleaf auto repair place.

Tarien Ithil
05-29-2003, 11:44 AM
I know of a daycare centre just down the road called Bilbo Baggins smilies/smile.gif. My little cousin goes there!

Oh, and there's a fire brigade around here called Bree-gade! smilies/biggrin.gif
(don't know if that counts!) smilies/smile.gif

Lossentilien
05-29-2003, 12:41 PM
There's a sports/camping type store near me called Rohan.
And no one's mentioned Gandalf Airlines! Not exactly a place, but still.
This doesn't really count, but before Orlando Bloom did LOTR, he was in a show called Midsomer Murders, and there was a garden in his episode called Lothlorien....spooky huh?

purplefluffychainsaw
05-29-2003, 01:28 PM
HA! I know where OB lives and it's near me! Sorry, had to come out... I've been supressing it for AGES. Anyway, on the way to the beach once I passed a place called Rivendell. Mum was going to fast to have a proper look though smilies/frown.gif And there's a place by me called Buckland hill... I should propably go see what's up there... Hobbit holes?

Brinniel
08-16-2003, 12:14 AM
My family was driving along the Oregon Coast when we passed a sign which my dad swears said Hobbit Trail (though I can't back that up myself). I never got a chance to get a good look at it, but I think it was a hiking path.

Meela
08-16-2003, 06:19 AM
I know a house called Lothlorien.

Daisy Brambleburr
08-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Well, I live close to a place called Buckland and my dad has a pair of 'Rohan' trousers!

Lord of Angmar
08-16-2003, 07:35 AM
there is a middle earth music hall near my house, i have never gone though. the website is http://www.middle-earth-music.com/

I went to the website, and was disappointed when I found nothing really Middle Earthy about it. Then, I looked at the performance schedule and there was a band slated to play called "Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams."

In Maryland there is a golf shop called Baggins Golf and Game.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]

Goldberry
08-16-2003, 08:38 AM
I once passed this place with "ENT" written in huge letters on the side of it. And there's a town nearby my house called Moira; it always reminds me of Moria....but that doesn't really count...

Yavanna228
08-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Well, as some of you probably know there is a Brandywine in Pennsylvania somewhat close to where I live. There's a battlefield there from the Revolutionary War. It's in a lovely part of the country. smilies/smile.gif
Peace

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
08-16-2003, 09:36 AM
It's amusing to see people re-using Tolkien's names just as he did with older ones. As a result of his references there are some places in England that have received Tolkienian associations.

In the Royal County of Berkshire, about twenty miles from where I live, there's a town called Newbury. This is either a coincidence brought about by Tolkien's use of English naming systems or a deliberate re-use by him of the real place.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]

ElenCala Isil
08-16-2003, 10:07 AM
There's a chain of some sort of company thingy called 'ELF' downtown from where I live

arianrod
08-16-2003, 08:32 PM
there is a restaurant called the hobbit. i have been there.

Yup, the good ol' Hobbit Cafe. We have one in Houston. My current goal in life (well, maybe that's a bit dramatic, but oh well) is to get a job there ASAP. I love it there...

Sleepy Ranger
08-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Ive said this in another thread but I'll say it again Rohan is a common name in my country.Its even my friends name. And my name is an elvish word and my names been around long before Tolkien was born smilies/rolleyes.gif . Im serious.

Melephelwen
08-18-2003, 08:46 AM
I saw a sign in Zambia with something 'Shire' - it was the only part of it I got, because we drove to fast past it, but I'm sure.
And I saw a 'Hobbit Guest House' in South Africa...

purplefluffychainsaw
08-19-2003, 08:50 AM
There's a place up by Oxford called Bagshot!!! I wonder... smilies/wink.gif
Oh yeah, and there's a pub called the Green Dragon in Wales! But the dragon on it looks more like a griffin
smilies/frown.gif

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: purplefluffychainsaw ]

Orominuialwen
07-17-2004, 04:17 PM
There is a Greenleaf, Wisconsin. I once looked through the whole index of strret names in my area and found streets named Greenwood, Greenleaf, Merry, and Ent. As soon as I learn to drive I plan to go and take pictures of their signs. There is also a Bag End Sound Productions, LothLorien Housing Co-op, and a company that repairs fax equipment called Shadowfax around here. :D

My grandma has been to a restaurant called Bilbo's in Alexandria, Virginia. I wonder if the picture Brinniel posted is of it?

One of the Nine
07-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Well, not much 'round here, but there is a street called Greenwood about a block away from where I live. Travel it all the time. It's a pretty street.

You know, it never occured to me that there would be that much Tolkien stuff in regular every day life, but it might be that it came from when the book first came out, 20 years ago maybe? The book was probably just as big of a hit back then as it was and still is now. Some of these names might have been made shortly after they came out, buying licences to the names and whatnot. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

elfearz1
07-17-2004, 10:45 PM
My sisters and I went to this used CD store in a city about a half hour from ours and I saw on some directions (I think it was on a garage sale sign) and the house was on Greenleaf dr. I didn't get a chance to take pictures though.

Lalwendë
07-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Up in Whitby, North Yorkshire, there's The Middle Earth Tavern. I think the name, though, is post-Tolkien (although it's been called that for at least 15 years). It's quite old, and on the harbourside (Church Street) so you can watch the boats in the marina while you sup your ale. Most importantly, it does a cracking pint of Theakston's Old Peculier, and there's plenty of fish and chip shops nearby. Mmmmmmmmm.

Also in North Yorkshire, there's The Green Dragon Inn. This is a really old country pub, and at the back, there is Hardraw Force, the highest single drop waterfall in England, which has a very 'magical' atmosphere.

Mithalwen
07-18-2004, 11:07 AM
With the house named Lothlorian (sic) in the Midsomer Murders, I wondered whether it was it was a little joke/ tribute since it has no significance to the plot. Bloom got offered LOTR the day before he was offered the part in MM and filmed it first.....

Rohan is in France..... most English county names end in shire.... and Tolkien did reuse typical elements ... There is a Micheldever between Winchester and Basingstoke for instance

Lindir
07-18-2004, 04:35 PM
There's a place that I know of, called Ent Town. (hmmm. Maybe I can find the lost entwives there..... :p )

Brinniel
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I found this while in Bruges, Belgium:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/Brinniel/KasteelWellandBelgium084.jpg

The restaurant was listed in my travel book, so of course I had to find it. Sadly, the owners were away on holiday and it was closed. :(

Apparently there was a pub called Bistro Tolkien nearby, but somehow I missed that...

Laurinquë
01-30-2008, 09:28 PM
In the 60's when my mother was a hippie she co-owned a coffee shop called Middle Earth. It was this counter-culture place against the Viatnam war and of course, a place to dicuss LOTR among equals in a time before the internet and the barrow-downs.

Also, when I was in Hawaii this Christmas I saw in the guide book a place called Middle Earth Books, I was so excited. But when I got there it turned out that it had been put out of busness due to a new Borders Books, a big chain of book stores we have in the states, I don't know whether you have them in Europe.

THE Ka
01-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I found this while in Bruges, Belgium:

The restaurant was listed in my travel book, so of course I had to find it. Sadly, the owners were away on holiday and it was closed. :(

Apparently there was a pub called Bistro Tolkien nearby, but somehow I missed that...

That image!!! That's from Brian Froud and Alan Lee's Fairies!
So appropriate, Lee wise.

Sorry, can't help an Alan Lee sighting.

That is sad to hear they were out, it looks like it would be a load of fun, for both the name and the image.

~ Ka

Aganzir
01-31-2008, 04:23 AM
We have Kontu (the Shire).
An observatory called Metsähovi (Woodhall).
And a grocery store Keskimaa (Middle-earth).

Also, Örkkitie (Orc Road) and Melkonkuja (Melko's Lane)... :smokin:

Legate of Amon Lanc
01-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Not sure what the problem is, in Prague we have a part - it used to be a village, but it's been a part of the city for some time - that's called Hůrka (Bree). I'm going around often, resp. riding around often with metro. Another parts of Prague are Přední Kopanina and Zadní Kopanina, which are not exactly Michel Delving and Little Delving, but rather "Near Delving" and "Far Delving", but anyway, one can't help himself when seeing that. Of course there are many hills named Větrov (Weathertop) throughout the country...

And the thing that really shook me, there is a valley a short walk from my home, and there's a hill in a forest (further from the city). When I was small, I called it Dol Guldur. Now, about half a year after I joined the Downs, I discovered that in fact it's named Holý Vrch... which practically means Amon Lanc :eek:

Alonna
01-31-2008, 09:51 AM
There's furniture store near where I live called Lothlorien. I also once saw a real estate agency that was called Ithilien Homes.