PDA

View Full Version : LotR-related objects in everyday life.

LePetitChoux
01-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Something has been bugging at me for weeks, that I see something very familiar every time I sit down at my computer. I've finally figured out what it is.

My USB port is called hama, like this:

http://www.slovfoto.sk/foto_produkt/hama_logo.gif

Does anyone else see LotR-related names in their every-day lives? smilies/smile.gif

arelendil
01-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Everyday on my way to school I walk passed a car called Bilbo. And my Uncle has a coat with rohan written on it!

Frodo Baggins
01-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Well...

I have a few CD's that are recorded by "Rivendell Records". And YES I am serious.

Meela
01-06-2003, 02:12 PM
i keep on seeing a brand of cigarettes called Condor, and i keep on thinking it says Gondor
also im sure ive seen the name Theoden around somewhere

Manwe Sulimo
01-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Actually, in upstate New York, there's a winery called "Rivendell", next to a river, in a very Eriador-esque place. I got a magnet as a souveneir, with "Rivendell Winery" in purple letters.

eleanor_niphredil
01-06-2003, 02:50 PM
there is an area somewhere called Rivington that I call Rivendell(by accident)

Horse-Maiden of the Shire
01-06-2003, 04:33 PM
this is more related to the movie
in my music book in band theres this song, i forget the title but at the end it says "from Elijah".
i know thats not really related to LOTR itself, and more to one of the actors, but y'know.

purplefluffychainsaw
01-07-2003, 02:55 PM
In my village (Yes a village, that's how small and remote it is. Very like the Shire and I mean it!!!) There are three car number plates with elf on and in the nearest town (4 miles) There is a Buckland!!! smilies/biggrin.gif

Mithril
01-07-2003, 03:00 PM
I like to word find puzzles, you know the ones where they give you a list of words and you're supposed to find them in the box of letters, anyways, I was doing one about mythological creatures, and one of the words was Hobbits, and a lot of times I'll actually see or just think I see Middle-Earth terms or names, it's weird.

Lady_Báin
01-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Where i live there is a Gimli realstate agenency. I can just imagine "N' did ya want th' larger cave with th' high ceilings, or a cozier place?"

The-Elf-Herself
01-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Well, my brother has a stuffed monkey named Shelob.

arelendil
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
I really have gone too far. walking down the street thought i saw an elf calandar but when i looked closer it said seasons! i'm not joking!!

also talk on hobbys today in english kept on saying hobbits which the class thought very funny!

Farrehn
01-08-2003, 03:58 PM
There's this plae near home called Rivendell.
But other than that, this one game, or actually a few, have mithril weapons and some Tolkienish names like "Gandolf' and "Galdriel' and stuff.

FarathrimMaiden
01-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, i theres this house in the town next to our town, it has a garden decorated with all sorts of mystical signs with a bear holding a sign that either says Gandolf or Gandalf. I change the word habitto hobit, i think any word that sounds remotely like rivendell is in fact rivendell, and I have seen that rivendell rocords i think.

Erana
01-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Yes!! When I go into my room I have this fan that looks tolkieny.....I hope that was like u were asking..

Sindafalathiel
01-09-2003, 05:24 PM
There's this girl in my gym class who loooks a lot like Wormtongue...the resemblance scares me.

maikafanawen
01-09-2003, 06:39 PM
My art teachers' name is Mr. Baggins. No joke. And there's a girl in my photography class who looks like Faramir. Also, there's a road by the mall called West Buckleberry Road. Also ... the last name of a football player, I think for Georgia Tech in the US, is Bilbo.

Sadbh
01-09-2003, 07:44 PM
There's always an annoyingly obnoxious add for a pizzeria on the local TV stations, located on 'Bilbo' Street. Also, when asked what the capital of North Ireland was on a Social Studies test, I wrote Belfalas instead of Belfast... smilies/wink.gif

Lady_Báin
01-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Sadbh thats too funny i feel weak now.

the eating erea at my school is called middle earth!! maybe i should bring lembas for lunch some time....

Thulorongil
01-10-2003, 07:09 PM
in my music book in band theres this song, i forget the title but at the end it says "from Elijah".

actually horsemaiden, there is an opera-ish thing called Elijah. Probably where that came from.

The Elf Herself- has your brother read the books? or did he make that up? If he's read them, he is just a little strange

Also, I always call the evil people in my classes Mumakil and Ulaers. So many strange looks...

This leads to the LotR street signs, too
(I know an Ulaer who lives on Ithilien-Makes sense, doesn't it?!)

Thulorongil
01-10-2003, 07:09 PM
ok, so you put the quote you want inside the quote box...

Ithaeliel
01-10-2003, 10:01 PM
My two best friends go to horse camp in a town called Greenleaf. Also, today- I don't know if this counts- my ring slipped off my finger and onto the floor, and when I told my Science teacher it was gold so he could help look for it, he said, "The one gold ring to rule them all... and you dropped it on the floor?" I eventually found it, however. I just thought that was funny he'd mention it. smilies/biggrin.gif

Horse-Maiden of the Shire
01-18-2003, 10:12 AM
well, about two hours away from here is a town called Gimli (ha ha ha!!) and on my internet box thingy (i have hi-speed) it says: "ent" Ethernet. Ha!! I want a teacher named Mr. Baggins. Then i could say to my friends "Baggins? Sure i know a Baggins. He's over there. Misterr Baggins."

Shy Hobbit
01-30-2003, 01:24 PM
A friend of mine has started growing his hair out recently, it's dark brown and he makes it real curly. Although he has dark eyes, he reminds me of Frodo. He used to have a silver ring that he wore on a chain around his neck too. smilies/biggrin.gif slight differences, but he still reminds me of the Ring Bearer himself.

Pennthangeil
01-30-2003, 04:31 PM
I live on Rivendel street.

Maikadurwen
09-20-2003, 01:40 PM
i live on benton springs and my sister calls it bilbo springs

we also have pretty large stream at our house and i call it the brandywine
we even have a ferry called buckleberry ferry

I live on Rivendel street.
[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadurwen ]

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadurwen ]

Daisy Brambleburr
10-02-2003, 02:11 PM
In my village (Yes a village, that's how small and remote it is. Very like the Shire and I mean it!!!) There are three car number plates with elf on and in the nearest town (4 miles) There is a Buckland!!!

That's weird! I live about 10 miles from a little village called Buckland too.

On my computer monitor there's a little sticker saying 'celeron' but every time I see it I think 'Celeborn'!

My dad has some Rohan trousers. And one time in my chemistry test I wrote 'Aragorn' insted of 'Argon'. Whoops!

Finwe
10-02-2003, 04:01 PM
I helped one of my friends with her presentation for Speech class (hers was how to groom a horse) and I was supposed to get up on the horse and ride it around a bit, just to give it some exercise. When I was riding back, I pulled off an Eomer and yelled, "To the King!!!!!!!!" and charged up to my friend. Said friend, who is also a LotR fan, just looked and me and said, "Gwanel nin, we aren't at Helm's Deep."

Arwen1858
10-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Well, I constantly read the words 'Middle East' as 'Middle Earth.'
LSU used to have a quarter-back named Rohan Davey! I wonder if his parents named him after the Rohan in ME. smilies/smile.gif Also, are any of you Babylon 5 fans? I used to watch it several years ago, and now I'm realizing there are a lot of things in there that came from LotR, or at least are pretty similar. Also, I'll see places and try to think about what place in ME it looks like. And sometimes I'll look at peoples ears to see if they're more pointy or rounded. And I'll see random things and think, 'Oh! That looks very elvish!' I know there are more, but I can't think of them now.
Arwen

Lyta_Underhill
10-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Also, are any of you Babylon 5 fans? I used to watch it several years ago, and now I'm realizing there are a lot of things in there that came from LotR, or at least are pretty similar.
Well, if there ARE Babylon 5 fans around here, they surely know where I got my first name! smilies/wink.gif

I do remember lots of stuff that mirrors or suggests the storyline and even names of LOTR: Z'ha'Dum being the most prominent of them, with the First One Lorien being deep inside the great chasm into which Sheridan leaps (Gandalf and the Balrog, anyone? He dove just before a nuclear device...). Other parallels, such as the migration "to the Rim" of the older beings and Technomages, etc. etc. and the use of the old evil by the newer minions of the "Shadows" (Sauron picking up where Morgoth left off, anyone?). The theme of the survival and slow resurgence of evil, even after great victory, would seem to be a main theme for both realms--Arda and the galactic realm in the "Third Age of Mankind" of Babylon 5.

Despite all the parallels, B5 draws from all sorts of fantasy and sci-fi works and concepts, although at times I like to refer to it as "Lord of the Rings in Space," just to be ornery!

Anyway, as for Middle Earth around here: my entire backyard (120 acres) looks like different places in Middle Earth. In fact, a large hill (small mountain? not quite!) rises behind my home and looks like an overgrown version (sans doors and windows) of Tolkien's illustration of Hobbiton on the 1973(?) version of the LOTR set (the authorized American version) Fellowship of the Ring cover. Another hill would resemble Weathertop if the stones rose above the trees and not vice versa, and there is a hidden dell I call Rivendell (abutted by Arwen's Rock and Tinuviel's Glade). Also a small creek with a bridge; I call it the Brandywine. Oh, and most of the guys driving pickup trucks in the closest town resemble Gimli...that's all I can think of right now!

Cheers,
Lyta

Arwen1858
10-03-2003, 01:06 AM
Lyta, every time I've seen your name, I've thought of Lyta Alexander from B-5. smilies/smile.gif
The first similarities I noticed between it and LotR were the Sheridan thing, and the fact that there are Rangers on B-5. Also, in LotR we have the white council, and the Minbari on B-5 have a grey council. The most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on the net was a B-5 message board. I was searching the net several weeks ago to find more similarities between B-5 and LotR, cuz I figured I was probably missing some. Anyways, on said message board, these people were saying how they couldn't believe Peter Jackson had the audacity to rip off Babylon 5 the way he did with his LotR movies!! As if all of that didn't come from the books, which came long before
B-5! smilies/rolleyes.gif Poor, confused people!

Anyways, back on topic. smilies/biggrin.gif
I have the computer game Riven, which I think got it's name from Rivendell, and there's also a Mirkwood Flooring and Interiors not too far from where I live!

Lyta_Underhill
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Anyways, on said message board, these people were saying how they couldn't believe Peter Jackson had the audacity to rip off Babylon 5 the way he did with his LotR movies!!
I saw a "news" article to this effect once, but it was firmly tongue-in-cheek! I think some people must have taken it seriously! It was on a site that also featured the appearance of Boromir and Faramir's OTHER brother, Jar-Jaromir! (complete with grafted Jar-Jar onto Boromir's body...ack!). You know, I suppose as many people could claim that Straczynski stole from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (both on a space station--similarity ends there).

Anyway, I've strayed far from topic now, so back to it...I used to be part of a radio show long ago that I didn't even remember had a LOTR reference in it until I went back and reviewed some old scripts. Whenever we wanted to pretend we were broadcasting from a pretentiously named "ballroom" as in the days of old time radio remotes, our pretentious ballroom was the Aragorn Ballroom! Heh heh!

Cheers,
Lyta (NOT a telepathic time bomb, but a nice person, really, once you get over her social ineptitude and tendency to see ghosts and conspiracies everywhere...oh, ignore this last part!) smilies/wink.gif

Orominuialwen
10-04-2003, 09:19 PM
There are several ME named streets near where I am, including Merry, Greenwood, Ent, and Greenleaf. There is also a LothLorien co-op and Bag End Sound Productions. I also found a Greenleaf, Wisconsin on a map. Plus, my little brother looks a whole lot like Elijah Wood :D. People who don't even know him or about our obsession (he's as obsessed as I am ;) ) come up to me and tell me he ooks like Frodo. Also, there's a girl in my school named Arwen :D . No joke! When I first knew her, I hadn't yet discovered LotR, so I didn't even know what her name was from. I'll think of more stuff soon!

Silver Shadow
10-05-2003, 09:42 AM
There's a house in my village called Baggit End and my schools catering service is called Shire Catering.

Amarantha_Daisy
10-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Wow, Orominuialwen! that's a lot of stuff. Lucky you, you can shreik with happiness whenever you pass by any of those things smilies/wink.gif

The only thing I've seen near me is a jewlery shop called "Galadriel's" ...I think I've mentioned that before...hmm... *sidetracked* Any-woo...yes. There may be more, I just have to look. I'll keep my eyes peeled ...Only...not literally...

Goldberry
10-05-2003, 02:45 PM
That would be so fun to know somebody named Arwen, or Gandalf or something of the sort. Hey, I've got a friend named Sam... hehe smilies/wink.gif

Well, let's see...there is a town near me called Turin.

Orominuialwen
10-05-2003, 04:05 PM
The only problem is that the only street I've actually passed by is Merry :(. I've only seen the others on a map. Also, I don't know where LothLorien or Bag End are, and I can't find them in the phone book :(. I really hope they're still around!

The Saucepan Man
10-05-2003, 07:36 PM
This sort of belongs here ...

Currently, I have John Howe's wonderful picture of the hallway at Bag End, looking out through the open door, as the wallpaper on my computer at work.

Last Friday, I was giving a serious presentation at work using PowerPoint on my lap-top. So, I had the presentation all set up, and what was on the screen was also on the big screen for the audience, as it should be. The presentation went fine and, once it was over (and people were still milling about), I shut down PowerPoint. And there on the big screen, for all to see, was Bag End. Was it my imagination, or were there a few fairly perplexed glances at the screen?

Hmm, slightly embarassing, to say the least. smilies/rolleyes.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

Amarantha_Daisy
10-05-2003, 07:53 PM
I've only seen the others on a map.

Now there's an idea... I'll have to look at my maps a bit more thouroughly... My parents will think I'm planning to run away smilies/tongue.gif

Saucepan Man, that's great! smilies/biggrin.gif I always get rolled eyes from my LotR backgrounds. Especially with the Argonath one... *sings* Stop! In the naaaame of love! I've never had something like that happen, though...

Arwen1858
10-05-2003, 08:57 PM
And there on the big screen, for all to see, was Bag End. Was it my imagination, or were there a few fairly perplexed glances at the screen?

Hey, ya never know, maybe you'll find some other Lord of the Rings fans that way!Someone could realize you're one, and say something about it. Who knows? smilies/smile.gif

Enorëiel
10-06-2003, 03:50 PM
There's a town near by me called RiverDale.... pretty darn close?

Naz
10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
And one time in my chemistry test I wrote 'Aragorn' insted of 'Argon'

I kept seeing "Boron" as "Beren." I rewrote it as Beren on my Element Table^ ^;;

Orominuialwen
10-17-2003, 12:15 AM
*sings* Stop! In the naaaame of love! I do that too! I use LotR wallpaper so much, I never have anything else anymore smilies/biggrin.gif. Back on topic: There's this apple orchard out in the country and it looks exactly like the trees outside of Isengard in FotR. Also, there is a house by where I used to live that is a hobbit hole! smilies/biggrin.gif smilies/biggrin.gif I moved away from there before I was obsessed with Lotr, but when I was little I called it the hill house because it has grass growing on the roof. I drove by there one time after my family moved and I became obsessed, and I realized it was a hobbit hole! smilies/smile.gif I'll attempt to take and post a picture, although there are no guarantees about whether it will ever happen!

Vladivos the Rider
10-17-2003, 12:12 PM
I've done that with the periodic table, too. Once I had to do an essay about 'Great Expectations' (Dickens) and had to include a reference to the pub 'The Jolly Bargeman.' When I got it back I realised that I'd written 'Prancing Pony' all the way through smilies/rolleyes.gif
I know in the English Peak District there's a town caller Rivendale (close enough... smilies/wink.gif ) And the 'Hobbit Cafe'.

Thulorongil
12-28-2003, 04:21 PM
I just remembered that my grandpa used to work on a farm in Underhill, Vermont. There's also some Tolkienish-named town in Quebec, Canada, near where my friend lives, but I'll have to rack my brain to remember it...

Miriel Undomiel
01-01-2004, 04:43 PM
one of the judges in World Idol did say that Kurt Nilsen (who lives 25 minutes drive away from me) looked like a hobbit. Well hobbits are populare, and the world told that bastard that you don't have to look like a supermodel to make it in this beauty-fixed world!

Lhunardawen
01-02-2004, 06:17 AM
There is a bar somewhere in our country called The Hobbit House. My mum said it has been around for quite a long time. I presume it was built during the 60's.

Oh, I have a teddy bear named Aragorn. smilies/rolleyes.gif

Annalaliath
01-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I had an instructor called Gollum. YOu see in College we are alowed to call our instructors by their first names.

And then tere are the Brandywine brand of canned muschrooms. I was all siked when I found those years ago.

Cathelm
01-02-2004, 03:16 PM
There's this jewelry store called 'All that Glitters' by my house, and I have to blink twice every time I go past it.
My Aunt used to live off of Pippin Street. Sadly, she moved away before I 'discovered' Lord of the Rings.
Anyone here read the Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordon? Soooo many parallels! They even have a Bela the pony! And Lan, and the myrdraal, and the Trollocs... don't even get me started... excellent books though, and they break off from Tolkien after the first book or so.
And there's this pile of rocks by my bus stop that, when the light's right, strangely resembles that one place where the Fellowship hides from the spy-birds... you know what I'm talking about. I've been wanting to take me friends up there to do a remake of that scene.

Everdawn
01-02-2004, 07:58 PM
one of the judges in World Idol did say that Kurt Nilsen (who lives 25 minutes drive away from me) looked like a hobbit. Well hobbits are populare, and the world told that bastard that you don't have to look like a supermodel to make it in this beauty-fixed world!

That would be Dicko, our Aussie Judge. That was a clasic call though wasnt it. We referred to that Idol dude as "Hobbit Man".

Finwe
01-03-2004, 03:04 PM
You know, there is a Brandywine River and Battlefield in the Pennsylvania region in the US. smilies/biggrin.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

Maikadurwen
01-03-2004, 04:37 PM
there is a rivendell wrecking service where i live smilies/biggrin.gif

Dancing_Hobbit
01-03-2004, 05:17 PM
I was driving to Woking and saw signs for "Bagshot", "Aragorn Place", and "Storr Road". Needless to say, I was somewhat excited! smilies/tongue.gif

Later on I was looking in a dictionary, saw the word "sting" out of the corner of my eye, and wondered why it wasn't capitalised.
smilies/biggrin.gif

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:39 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Dancing_Hobbit ]

Nimrothiel
01-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I drive past a "Ranger Street" on my way to and from work. I don't always look that closely at my computer, so the indicator lights that encircle the on/off buttons on the modem and the computer sometimes look like the "One Ring." There's two "Greenwoods" in my phonebook (no Greenleaf, how disappointing). I swear that this one guy in the movie theatre-at Rotk-looked exactly like Faramir with long
hair. I happened to get a red dragon porcelain statue for Christmas this year, and it looked exactly the way Smaug should.

Salix
01-06-2004, 11:59 AM
I've already posted this somewhere, but it's worth posting again.
On my bus route, we used to pass a truck with Walkabout Ent writen on the side. On the ent theme, in December a bar near my house had a sign in front which read 'Live Ent'. I cracked a few puns about how they fit the ent in the building, but it took a while for my dad to figure it out. smilies/rolleyes.gif
Oh and refering to last page, the name Riven comes from the fact that the definition of Riven is to rend or tear apart, and the world of Riven is getting torn apart, so the title is obvious. I only wish that it came from Rivendell.

Corwyn Celesil
01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
There is a splendid movie with a very young Robert Redford in it called "The Sting," and one of the main characters is named Henry Gondor. Since I saw it before ever reading LoTR, I always think of him when I think of Tolkien's Gondor.

Guinevere
01-09-2004, 03:29 AM
My younger boy, who is also a LotR fan is learning English and French at school and to memorize the spelling, he uses funny connections. Lately he sees "Ents" everywhere, as in "parENTS" (which in German would mean "a couple of ents" smilies/biggrin.gif ) or "ENTrance" "ENTraînemENT" and so on . Of course, there are lot of "ents" in German as well:e.g. ENT-schuldigung (excuse)! So at least we have something to smile, while doing homework smilies/wink.gif !

yavanna II
01-09-2004, 05:46 AM
my stuffed toy is named feanor. NO JOKE, there's a restaurant somewhere in Manila called THE HOBBIT HOUSE, and their waiters and all staff there are hobbit-sized! everytime i see my stupid biology teacher i begin to think of Bert, William and Tom. my wallet has a picture of galadriel on it, just beside my beloved picture of the Lady of Fatima. Everytime I see the Lady of Fatima pics, I'm strongly reminded of Galadriel, though the Fatima has dark hair

Eothain Elfwine
01-09-2004, 07:57 AM
I met a man yesterday whose last name was Ison. I thought it was Isen, and of course I thought immediately of Isengard and the Fords of Isen.

Corwyn Celesil
01-09-2004, 12:25 PM
There is a town in Italy called Turin, of the Shroud of Turin fame.

Eothain Elfwine
01-10-2004, 11:38 AM
I worked at a camp with a lake in North Dakota this last summer, and certain LotR-loving friends and I would look across the lake to a place we called the Shire because it seemed very like a place in the Shire. It was gentle hills that came right to the water's edge covered in leafy, gnarled trees; something you would see in England or the Shire.
I have four little metal knights I have given LotR names: Hama for one that looks quite Anglo Saxon (named for the Hama of old, not for Theoden's guard), Beregond for the one in full armour with round shield, Ecthelion (Steward of Gondor, Denethor's father) for the one with a fleur-de-lis on his breastplate that could be the White Tree, and Eldarion (Elessar's son) for the one with a huge sword that looks like it should be lying in stone on a tomb.

Rilwen Gamgee
01-10-2004, 07:24 PM
All of you are so lucky, Living by streets and shops named after LotR things! smilies/smile.gif However, I found a pretty spherical stone in my house that's heavy and looks an awful lot like a Palantir... except it doesn't show anything. Ah, well. Also, when I happened to be looking through the phone book, there was someone with the last name of Rohan! smilies/eek.gif