PDA

View Full Version : The Ring of Power given to the Dwarves

steve
01-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Recently I have been turning this over in my mind and i have come up with a theory... I believe that Saruon may have given the rings to the dwarves TO make them dwelve deeper in search of riches becuase ultimatley, it brought them to their demise, and awoke the Balrog of Moria. I would appreciate your insight on my theory.

Elassar 516
01-18-2004, 09:21 PM
I don't know for sure but I dont think so. I think Sauron gave the rings to the Dwarves just like he gave them to men, hoping to ensnare them, but because the Dwarves were made to resist that kind of thing it only made them lust for treasure more and help them to aquire it.

Finwe
01-18-2004, 09:29 PM
They weren't exactly made to resist evil. That was just part of their nature. Sauron didn't know that they would not be lured by the power of the Rings, he thought that they were as weak as Men. Even though he as proved wrong, the Dwarves still ended up being doomed.

Frodo2968thewhite
01-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Although your theory is interesting, it is indeed false. First of all, even though Sauron hated the Dwarves, he knew that he couldn't dominate using men alone, so he NEEDED the Dwarves on his side, not kill them. So he gave them the rings to prolong their life and "condemn" them to become evil, yet powerful, servents of Sauron. Secondly, Sauron did not know that a Balrog was in Moria UNTIL the Dwarves stumled upon it in TA 1980. It was then in 2480 that Sauron sent orcs and trolls to Moria, due to the recent discovery of the Ancient Demon of the Balrog of Khazad-Dum (commonly known as Durin's Bane). Thirdly, It is clearly stated that Sauron's plan with the Dwarven Rings FAILED, and so he tried to take them back because of their uselesness.

Knight of Gondor
01-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Yes, Steve, you're wrong, wrong, WRONG! smilies/biggrin.gif

To add my two (million) cents' worth, I was going to say I doubted that Sauron intended a Balrog to awaken in Moria as it did.