PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Sauron

GreyIstar
09-16-2002, 01:14 PM
I am asking a question of which I do not know, or do not remember if it is told in any detail during my readings.

Does anyone know exactly what Sauron's "Fair Form" was and what it looked like other than the very vague fair? I know it was destroyed when Numenor was destroyed and he made the form of the Darklord shortly after.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

burrahobbit
09-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Not that I am aware of, though I am unaware of a lot.

Kuruharan
09-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Tolkien never described Sauron's "fair" form. He only gave a rather vague description of his terrible form. That was probably deliberate.

I would assume that there would be certain similarities between the two forms. The fair form was probably rather tall and majestic.

GreyIstar
09-16-2002, 04:24 PM
I was just wondering if I missed something somewhere. I would imagine it is an noble form that one could look at with out fear. I imagine just seeing Sauron's terrible form would cause everyone but the most brave to freeze with utter fear.

Mithuial
09-16-2002, 07:48 PM
I'm always a little grateful for vague discriptions because it forces me to use my imagination and I get to make Sauron's "fair form" look however I want. There are other times though that I really wish he would've expanded on someone or something. He's usually very thorough, though

Mithuial
09-16-2002, 07:50 PM
lol, I think everyone coulda figured this out, but when I say "he" I mean Tolkien not Sauron. I was reading over my post after I posted it and it sounded kinda funny. smilies/smile.gif

The Silver-shod Muse
09-16-2002, 08:57 PM
I imagined it like some tall, white form, very beautiful to look at like fire or lightning, but dangerous too.

Eomer of the Rohirrim
09-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Do you imagine Sauron appeared a bit like a Man? It was when he survived the lightning strike that men called him a God so I don't think he would look too unusual before.

Slightly off topic but I thought that the Valar may have appeared similar to Elves while among the Elves. Is this possible or is it way wrong?

Sharkû
09-17-2002, 11:28 AM
This is from the (much to my dismay) early abandoned story The Lost Road in HoME V, Sauron's coming to Númenór:

"Upon that ship which was cast highest and stood dry upon a hill there was a man, or one in man's shape, but greater than any even of the race of Numenor in stature.
'He stood upon the rock and said: "This is done as a sign of power. For I am Sauron the mighty, servant of the Strong" (wherein he spoke darkly). "I have come. Be glad, men of Numenor, for I will take thy king to be my king, and the world shall be given into his hand.
'And it seemed to men that Sauron was great; though they feared the light of his eyes. To many he appeared fair, to others
terrible; but to some evil. But they led him to the king, and he was humble before Tarkalion."

GreyIstar
09-17-2002, 01:05 PM
That sounds like what I imagined. Someone who seemed powerful and high in stature and depending on how keene a person's perception was let you see beneath all the fairness.