PDA

View Full Version : No More Hobbits?

Rosa Underhill
02-06-2002, 04:36 AM
Well, there certainly are a lot of Hobbits in LotR and, of course, "The Hobbit", but are there any more in any other of Tolkien's books? (I have this nagging doubt that there aren't anymore and I fear I may be right, since hobbits never did do too many exciting things until Bilbo came about and there was that nasty business with a certain Ring...)

Niphredil Baggins
02-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Ai, no hobbits yet in the silmarillion, if that's what you mean.

Rosa Underhill
02-06-2002, 12:48 PM
I know there's none in "The Silmarillion", 'cept Frodo and "his servant". They're in the second to the last page of the book. But are there any in any of Tolkien's other books?

dernhelm
02-06-2002, 02:11 PM
I just finished reading The Book of Lost Tales 1, and there are no hobbits in it.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: dernhelm ]

Mayla Took
02-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Oh how sad!! I was hoping to run into somemore Hobbit storys in The Lost Tales or the Silmarilion. I will keep my eyes open though!

Elrian
02-06-2002, 07:14 PM
There are in the History of the Lord of the Rings set. or The Return of the Shadow, The Treason of Isengard, The War of the Ring, and Sauron Defeated.

littlemanpoet
02-06-2002, 08:30 PM
Hi Rosa

I've read the stuff mentioned by Elrian and it's really just earlier versions of LOTR. There are no other works about other hobbits. smilies/frown.gif If you want to try something also by JRRT that comes pretty darn close, read Farmer Giles of Ham, about an early English farmer who has a run-in with a giant and a dragon. It's really a lot of fun. smilies/smile.gif

Inziladun
02-06-2002, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately for hobbit fans, most Middle Earth 'history' seems to have been written from the elvish point of view. Hobbits apparently played no part in the great events of the First and Second Ages, which were chronicled by the Elves and later the Edain. The Hobbit and LoTR were told from the hobbit point of view, which is why hobbits are at the forefront of these stories. I wouldn't think the majority of Middle Earth's denizens knew anything about hobbits before Frodo's Quest.

Pips
02-08-2002, 03:37 PM
I think there's some say of them in Christopher Tolkien's books, since he carried on the stories of Middle Earth

Rosa Underhill
02-08-2002, 10:33 PM
He did? How...? Wha...? Am confused now...

I know Christopher Tolkien compiled "The Silmarillion" and other works by his father and had them published but...are you saying he's written some original-ish Middle-earth works of his own? (I'd be very happy to hear that he was!)

I read on this board somewhere a quote from I don't know what of Gandalf's. He was talking about Bilbo, Frodo and the Ring and it wasn't anything from LotR. Anyone know where he might have been having a conversation like that? It struck me that he must be in Valinor or Eressea or someplace like when he said it...

Elendur
02-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Gandalf talks about Bilbo in Unfinished Tales. Its in the Quest for Erebor chapter.

Elrian
02-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:
<STRONG>He did? How...? Wha...? Am confused now...

I know Christopher Tolkien compiled "The Silmarillion" and other works by his father and had them published but...are you saying he's written some original-ish Middle-earth works of his own? (I'd be very happy to hear that he was!)

I read on this board somewhere a quote from I don't know what of Gandalf's. He was talking about Bilbo, Frodo and the Ring and it wasn't anything from LotR. Anyone know where he might have been having a conversation like that? It struck me that he must be in Valinor or Eressea or someplace like when he said it...</STRONG>

Christopher Tolkien compiled all the variations of book chapter, characters and such of his father's into the Histories of Middle Earth. He didn't attempt to do his own writing, to my knowledge. The History of the Lord of the Rings books in that series is the many variations of chapters that JRR wrote while doing LOTR, and the different Hobbit characters he'd switched to come up with the final chapters. Striders character was originally a Hobbit, after a few name changes (Peregrin being one of them) the character became that of a man.

Could it have been from Mithadan's fanfic? Tales from Tol Eressea, or Conversations in Avallone that you read that quote in Rosa?

Rose Cotton
02-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Well I guess it make sence for hobbits to be left out since they were left out of everything else.(all the stories and lists in LotR)

Rosa Underhill
02-09-2002, 11:43 PM
No, it wasn't in any fanfic. (I don't read those very often, quite honestly.) But Elendur just said it was from "Unfinished Tales." I'm going to have to get that book now... smilies/biggrin.gif And I've been reading "Farmer Giles of Ham", too. Very funny stuff; I like the talking dog. "What's wrong with you?" "Nothing..." smilies/biggrin.gif

Elven-Maiden
02-10-2002, 01:12 PM
Bilbo and Frodo are mentioned in The Unfinished Tales