PDA

View Full Version : Just got "Unfinished Tales". It is really enlightening.

lomion
02-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Just got the "Unfinished Tales" I love it! The story about Isildur is great! I did'nt realize the ring could'nt be put on without great pain so soon after being cut from Sauron's hand. Can't wait to get to the rest. Any favorites?

Jjudvven
02-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Yes. Isn't it AWESOME!!! All of Tolkien's stuff is like that. smilies/smile.gif

lomion
02-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Parts of it read like the Silmarilion, more like a history book, but some has the characters developed a little more. I like those better. Cool stuff!

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
02-05-2002, 10:28 AM
I particularly liked Gandalf's description of his part in the quest for Erebor, but there wasn't a single story that I didn't enjoy, yet mourn for its incompleteness. I found the story of Anarion and Erendis interesting as it contains a woman who isn't necessarily "a patient Griselda of a wife with a heart of gold"; the tale of the disaster at the Gladden Fields paints a much more sympathetic portrait of Isildur than that in the published work and the section on the Istari is very informative.

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that, presumably unplanned by him, a lot of Tolkien's mythology has come to light more in tantalising fragments than complete work? This is, after all, how our picture of many world mythological systems has been pieced together.

littlemanpoet
02-05-2002, 03:16 PM
My favorite is Narn I Hin Hurin. It is the most in-depth story in Unfinished Tales, and the characters are fully developed. There are humans, dwarves and elves, as well as (I believe) an exchange between Morgoth Bauglir and Hurin - most fascinating! And it's a great, well written tragedy. smilies/frown.gif If I say anymore I'll give it all away for you. Enjoy! smilies/tongue.gif

Elrian
02-05-2002, 06:30 PM
My favorite was the story of Celeborn and Galadriel, but all the stories in it were good. smilies/smile.gif

Aralaithiel
02-06-2002, 09:07 AM
I found the stroy of Galadriel & Celeborn helpful in writing my fan fiction, since my main character is the granddaughter of Gil-Galad, sired by Elrond.
The story of Turin broke my heart! smilies/frown.gif That would suck to find out your wife was your sister! Now to read Lost Tales I and II!

Jjudvven
02-06-2002, 10:18 AM
I liked 'em all! smilies/smile.gif

Frahhamn
02-06-2002, 10:19 AM
if found Unfinished tales to be... well... unfinished. smilies/smile.gif

i liked what was there, but i wish they had been completed.

Legolas
05-24-2003, 01:06 PM
My reason for buying the book so quickly was the Istari essay, and that remains one of my favourite sections of the book.

Mahal
05-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Yes, that about the Istari is great... also these stories (like from Tuor and his coming to goldolin). Are much more detailed and are a lot bigger as those stories in th Silmarillion.

HCIsland
05-24-2003, 04:36 PM
I've always like Unfinished Tales. It's a great book. I just want to put in a plug for the account of the Battles of the Ford of Isen. I guess I'm the only Theodred fan here.

H.C.

Falagar
05-24-2003, 04:49 PM
I liked the version of Tuors journey to Gondolin, and also the Istari-essay...
It's a while since I read it now, considering reading it again someday, when I have time.

Lyra Greenleaf
05-24-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm with the Squatter: I liked Gandalf telling why he got Bilbo to go off adventuring!

Afrodal Fenyar
05-25-2003, 04:01 AM
My favourite is Narn i Nin Hurin, as I've always liked Túrin Túrambar's story from the Silmarillion. Aldarion and Erendis was also interesting, much for the same reasons as Squatter said. I borrowed UT from the library, and I quess I didn't read Gandalf's story, I can't remember it..

Hans Markus Rod
05-25-2003, 05:58 AM
My favourite story was about Cirion and Eorl, and the friendship between Gondor and Rohan, especially the Northmen and the Wainraiders. The tragic life of Turin turambar has also fascinated me.

Amarie of the Vanyar
05-25-2003, 06:27 AM
My favourite is 'Of Tuor and His Coming To Gondolin'. It's a pity that it is not finished smilies/frown.gif

Also, the UT have lots of unexpected details, for example, you are told where the tomb of Elendil was !! smilies/wink.gif

Daisy Brambleburr
05-25-2003, 07:15 AM
I bought Unfinished Tales because I couldn't find the Silmarillion anywhere, and I enjoyed it a lot. The chapter I liked most was the one about the Istiri (spelt wrong probably) because I found it quite funny that Saruman went to the Shire and smoked pipe weed in secret because he didn't want Gandalf to know he was copying him. Gandalf found out, and found it quite funny too smilies/biggrin.gif
Very good book (what do you expect? It's Tolkien!)

Legolas
05-26-2003, 11:36 AM
If you liked the 'Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin' chapter, you might also appreciate the version of 'The Fall of Gondolin' in The Book of Lost Tales 2.

Ardolon
06-20-2003, 01:18 AM
I'd KILL for the rest of Tour and his coming to Gondolin....I want it...I want it! But I won't get it.

lindil
06-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Does it strike anyone else as ironic that, presumably unplanned by him, a lot of Tolkien's mythology has come to light more in tantalising fragments than complete work? I agree with you squatter and have noted also that just like real history it comes complete with alternate and oft contradictory to boot.

I love pretty much all of Unfinished Tales.

It took me till the time I got to the downs to realize it but the Post -LotR writings (UT, HoM-E 10-11 and parts of 3 and 12) are to my mind his finest, most subtle, and well crafted works surpassing the LotR often as much as LotR goes beyond THe Hobbit and Lost Tales.

The incompleteness is sad of course, but to quote a Wookie proverb, "Joy not tempered by sadness is suspect".

Welcome to the Downs Ardolon, and if you are really patient you may still be here when the TftE project coughs up it's version of the Fall of Gondolin [an attempt at a canonical editing/updating at the Book of Lost Tales version of the fall of Gondolin].

Firiel Eledhwen
06-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to the books.
Unfinished tales is wonderful, I've read it about four or five times. Ever since I first read the Silmarilion I've loved the story of Turin, tragice but beautiful like the story of Beren and Luthien smilies/frown.gif .

Ardolon
06-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I've read the lost tales, couple times. The fall of gondolin is a great story, and although I'll have to be very patient, I'm willing to wait to see a version up to date with the rest of Tolkien's mythos.

Firiel Eledhwen
06-28-2003, 05:04 AM
I've read the 1st part of Book of Lost Tales and some of the 2nd part, very interesting.
I might read the rest of the 2nd after Unfinished Tales.
I'm on Aldarion and Erendis at the moment.
"Cold is the life of a mariner's wife"