The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Password (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10279)

Pervinca Took 08-07-2018 04:04 AM

I liked the Bombadil's boots icon when you declared Iarwain Ben-Adar to be correct.

Well, if the password reflects the theme ...

... the origins of these beings are unknown or hidden, and the password is so well-hidden that we will never find that either? Or it is simply unknown?

Nerwen 08-07-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 712263)
I liked the Bombadil's boots icon when you declared Iarwain Ben-Adar to be correct.

Well, if the password reflects the theme ...

... the origins of these beings are unknown or hidden, and the password is so well-hidden that we will never find that either? Or it is simply unknown?

That would be clever of me! No, it's just a set of connected letters.

Pervinca Took 08-07-2018 05:37 AM

OK ... so do we count a space or a hyphen when looking for the password, or do we pretend the space or hyphen is not there?

Nerwen 08-07-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 712265)
OK ... so do we count a space or a hyphen when looking for the password, or do we pretend the space or hyphen is not there?

Pretend it's not there.

Pervinca Took 08-07-2018 06:23 AM

I can't find anything at all - have even tried the corners and every word in elvish for hidden or concealed.

There is another being of unknown origin - the WATCHER in the water, which could be highlighted in 'Silent Watchers,' but ....

Nerwen 08-07-2018 06:51 AM

Nope, sorry.

Huinesoron 08-07-2018 07:39 AM

Well, if you read the third letter from the end from right to left, you get 'ARM DEN'... I'm sure we could come up with a convoluted explanation!

It's interesting, though presumably coincidence, that the first three answers are all the same length.

hS

EDIT: Diagonally right from the first 'E' in Nameless things gets you 'ENIGMT'... is the password 'ENIGMA'? If you bounce off the S in Were-Worms you do hit Ungoliant's A.

Nerwen 08-07-2018 08:06 AM

ENIGMA is correct. It slants down from left to right, then left for the final A.

NAMELESS THINGS: Earth's anonymous gourmands.
SILENT WATCHERS: Mordor's misnamed alarms.
IARWAIN BEN-ADAR: Bewildering- me, in a conflict? What would my dad say, if I had one?
GOTHMOG: Emo feline at the Pelennor.
WERE-WORMS: ...but are they worms now?
UNGOLIANT: Emaciated king of beasts confused for even more ravenous predator.

Theme: Beings of unknown nature.

Well done, Huey!

Huinesoron 08-07-2018 08:20 AM

I feel like we just spend longer on finding the password than on most of the clues... well done!

1. - You might spy them from far off, but the hunters would see you first.
2. - "He's red with wine," they slurred of Fingolfin before his death.
3. - Boys with German flowers in the mortal lands.
4. - Turin held that it was quite rude of the sun.
5. - If those who love spelling are dead, plainly within this they'll see you coming.
6. - Not a mere name: pool your thoughts, think in Sindarin, and dream of the sea.
7. - Beneath the hills, Elvish, ancient, and French: the (not a) sun goes round.
8. - It sucks to have a lisp - the portal's on chloride before the night's shade.

hS

Pervinca Took 08-07-2018 10:42 AM

1. Sheep, spied by the Great Eagles in 'The Hobbit?'

Huinesoron 08-07-2018 02:46 PM

Not sheep, no eagles, and not from The Hobbit. :)

hS

Pervinca Took 08-07-2018 02:58 PM

Hobbits, with the Rangers as the hunters? ;)

Huinesoron 08-08-2018 02:30 AM

Not that either.

I should mention that all the clues except #6 include a direct cryptic clue to the full name I'm after, and all of them also have a straight clue.

hS

Nerwen 08-08-2018 04:23 AM

Is it significant that #8 has "chloride" not "chlorine"?

Huinesoron 08-08-2018 04:26 AM

It is absolutely significant. :)

hS

Pervinca Took 08-08-2018 04:40 AM

Just a guess at MITHEITHEL for 3.

Mit = German for 'with.'
He x 2 for 'boys.'
It's a flower (river).
It's in Middle-earth (mortal lands) or within ML (although that uses the M twice).

(P.S. Well done finding 'Enigma,' and thanks to Nerwen for a great puzzle!)

Nerwen 08-08-2018 04:40 AM

Then is it (#8) DORTHONION? ("Door'th on ion"). Former name of Taur-nu-fuin, the Forest Under Nightshade.

Huinesoron 08-08-2018 06:17 AM

4. - Turin held that it was quite rude of the sun.
5. - If those who love spelling are dead, plainly within this they'll see you coming.
6. - Not a mere name: pool your thoughts, think in Sindarin, and dream of the sea.
7. - Beneath the hills, Elvish, ancient, and French: the (not a) sun goes round.
8. DORTHONION - It sucks to have a lisp - the portal's on chloride before the night's shade.

Dorthonion for exactly the reason Nerwen said. Pervinca, sadly no on Mitheithel, though that's a fantastic answer! :) The 'mortal lands' are much smaller than the entirety of Middle-earth in this case.

hS

Huinesoron 08-13-2018 02:04 AM

Perhaps a hint... all 8 clues are place-names, and all except #5 are in Sindarin. #6 is probably going to be the hardest, because it's an obscure variant of a fairly obscure place.

Um... and every clue except #6 either includes a sound-alike of the answer, or constructs it from synonyms. No anagrams are required. :)

hS

Pervinca Took 08-13-2018 05:59 AM

The Turin one isn't Gurthang, then. ;)

Just a shot in the dark ... DAGORLAD for the password?

Huinesoron 08-13-2018 07:16 AM

No and no, though you're right that 'Turin held' is the straight clue on #4. :)

hS

Pervinca Took 08-13-2018 08:12 AM

Maybe Gil-Galad?

Huinesoron 08-13-2018 08:27 AM

Also not Gil-Galad.

(Are you just guessing any 8-letter word ending in D because the clues are too convoluted?)

hS

Pervinca Took 08-13-2018 08:36 AM

At first I thought the password might be another place, and Estolad is too short.

Then I wondered if the places might all be connected with Gil-Galad.

But I have tried to solve all the clues and failed.

Pervinca Took 08-13-2018 08:39 AM

For instance, I think 3 should have 'blumen' in it. But I don't blumen know what else. Guys/lads doesn't combine to make anything meaningful.

And sol is the only synonym for sun I can think of (Turin clue).

Huinesoron 08-13-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 712316)
For instance, I think 3 should have 'blumen' in it. But I don't blumen know what else. Guys/lads doesn't combine to make anything meaningful.

And sol is the only synonym for sun I can think of (Turin clue).

It's not Blumen; you need a specific flower. One of your 'boy' words is useful, though.

Sol is actually a step in the right direction, but Sol was a Roman god; I'd look in an older mythology if I was you. :)

hS

Nerwen 08-14-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 712317)
It's not Blumen; you need a specific flower. One of your 'boy' words is useful, though.

Sol is actually a step in the right direction, but Sol was a Roman god; I'd look in an older mythology if I was you. :)

hS

AMON RÛDH? (You know it's pronounced "ruth", not "rude", right?)

Huinesoron 08-14-2018 03:03 AM

4. AMON RUDH - Turin held that it was quite rude of the sun.
8. DORTHONION - It sucks to have a lisp - the portal's on chloride before the night's shade.

You're right, I should have said 'kind of rude', or even 'looks rude'. But Sindarin has never been my forte, and I kind of forgot. ^_^

hS

Pervinca Took 08-14-2018 03:57 AM

Bald hill ... but where's the sun?

Nerwen 08-14-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 712320)
Bald hill ... but where's the sun?

Amon- as in Amon-Ra.

Nerwen 08-14-2018 09:09 AM

I think #1 refers to FAROTH, the "Hills of the Hunters", unless it's something that can be seen from that location- Amon Ethir, the "Hill of Spies"? Not quite sure how the elements of the clue fit together.

Nerwen 08-14-2018 09:27 AM

Oh, and if #2 is ERED WETHRIN...:mad:

Huinesoron 08-14-2018 09:28 AM

1. FAROTH - You might spy them from far off, but the hunters would see you first.

As you say, the hunters are a straight clue, but you might also see the Hills of the Hunters from "FAROFF".

It probably works best if you know the Estuary English accent, which rejects the concept of 'th' entirely.

hS

Nerwen 08-14-2018 09:41 AM

#6 is UMBOTH MUILIN ("pools of twilight"), alternative name of Aelin-uial ("meres of twilight"), where Ulmo sent dreams to Turgon and Finrod.

Is the password FELAGUND?

Edit: Yes, I got the "far off" pun, but I wasn't sure how the clue worked.

Huinesoron 08-14-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 712329)
#6 is UMBOTH MUILIN ("pools of twilight"), alternative name of Aelin-uial ("meres of twilight"), where Ulmo sent dreams to Turgon and Finrod.

Is the password FELAGUND?

1. FAROTH - You might spy them from far off, but the hunters would see you first.
2. E - "He's red with wine," they slurred of Fingolfin before his death.
3. L - Boys with German flowers in the mortal lands.
5. G - If those who love spelling are dead, plainly within this they'll see you coming.
6. UMBOTH MUILIN - Not a mere name: pool your thoughts, think in Sindarin, and dream of the sea.
7. N - Beneath the hills, Elvish, ancient, and French: the (not a) sun goes round.

That's the one(s)!

Quote:

Edit: Yes, I got the "far off" pun, but I wasn't sure how the clue worked.
Well, if I didn't make it clear already, the clue should be read as:

"You might spy [the location name under discussion] from[/in] FAR OFF | (but) the hunters would see you first [at this location]."

Cryptic, then straight.

hS

PS: I should note that Umboth Muilin/Aelin-uial doesn't quite 100% fit the theme. It probably did at some point in time, though. ~hS

Nerwen 08-15-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

PS: I should note that Umboth Muilin/Aelin-uial doesn't quite 100% fit the theme. It probably did at some point in time, though. ~hS
Then what can the theme possibly be...?

Nerwen 08-15-2018 09:34 PM

Is #5 just the GUARDED PLAIN?

Huinesoron 08-16-2018 02:47 AM

2. E - "He's red with wine," they slurred of Fingolfin before his death.
3. L - Boys with German flowers in the mortal lands.
5. GUARDED PLAIN - If those who love spelling are dead, plainly within this they'll see you coming.
6. UMBOTH MUILIN - Not a mere name: pool your thoughts, think in Sindarin, and dream of the sea.
7. N - Beneath the hills, Elvish, ancient, and French: the (not a) sun goes round.

As (mis)spelled out in the middle of the clue. :)

hS

Nerwen 08-16-2018 04:05 AM

I'd think #3 might be LADROS, but according to my sources the German for "rose" is simply "die Rose".:confused:

Pervinca Took 08-16-2018 04:12 AM

*In awe*

I really am rubbish at Silmarillion place-names. I thought of Felagund after Gil-Galad, but better the next password goes to someone who's actually guessed the clues. :D