The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   For Those Who Died Today... Happy Deathday! (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11207)

Mithalwen 09-23-2008 06:22 AM

I am only too happy to second what Nogrod has said about Heren's encouragement of newcomers. It is something for which I am forever in HI's debt - as well as his education programme regarding Georgia - this time last year I was able to explain to my family the reasons for Georgia playing rugby to such a high level, now alas I watch the news and fret about the safety of Heren and family. So I send a deathday wish for better times in his Shire.

Thinlómien 09-23-2008 09:58 AM

Ooh, happy deathday, Heren... Eight years is quite an achievement (not that it would be so horrible here that one wouldn't have fun...:D). I, too, must second what is said about Mr H-I and newcomers, and add a little point which is that I found it very nice and welcoming as a newcomer that such a respected and wise member as H-I thanked me for the reputation points I gave him. :)

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-23-2008 12:27 PM

Indeed a happy deathday, Mr. HI. Now eight years - that indeed feels almost unimaginable; it made me think how relative the numbers sometimes are - because while I can well imagine let's say eight apples, but have a problem with imagining a million apples; then if I try to imagine eight years at the Downs, I have a problem rightaway... but there's somebody who actually managed it :eek:

Mister Underhill 09-23-2008 08:34 PM

Aye, a happy D-day to you, HI. Glad you were able to check in!

Yes, it does seem like only yesterday we were two young wights about the mounds. Look at us now, husbands and fathers both. Wouldn't it be nice if we were still talking Tolkien eight years hence, and maybe both our sons Junior Wights into the bargain.

Diamond18 10-16-2008 11:50 PM

It just occurred to me that my 6th Deathday was a couple weeks ago (Sep 28th, I believe). 6 years is a life-age on the internet, even if I only really check in to play Werewolf these days. I recall days gone by when I haunted the books and the movies and the RPGs and the mirthy endeavors not involving the phrase Tol-in-Gaurhoth. Way back when my screenname actually matched my age. :eek:

Durelin 10-17-2008 10:23 AM

Happy Deathday, Di!!

I believe my sixth was a few days ago...

Legate of Amon Lanc 10-17-2008 11:03 AM

Wow, six years, again, what a feat! In that case, belated happy Deathday, Dury! And to you too, Di!

Groin Redbeard 10-17-2008 11:43 AM

Happy Deathday to Durelin and Diamond18!:D I Hope you stay around for another six years, have a good one!

Legate of Amon Lanc 11-15-2008 02:52 PM

Today, I was thinking about what one single decision may change: what impact it had on my life, that one moment when I actually filled in my user name and all the required fields and hit the registration button. With that, perhaps simple step, the Downs opened for me, I made my place here, and got to know all you wonderful people around here. I am really happy that there was, two years ago, a 15th November in my life...

Morthoron 11-15-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 573643)
Today, I was thinking about what one single decision may change: what impact it had on my life, that one moment when I actually filled in my user name and all the required fields and hit the registration button. With that, perhaps simple step, the Downs opened for me, I made my place here, and got to know all you wonderful people around here. I am really happy that there was, two years ago, a 15th November in my life...

*The Dark Elf stares blankly at the post*

Ummm...who are you again?

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-15-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 573643)
the Downs opened for me, I made my place here, and got to know all you wonderful people around here.

He is talking about me :)

Groin Redbeard 11-15-2008 05:53 PM

Have A Good One!

Well happy Deathday Legate!:D I'm certainly glad that you made the decision to join the Downs, you're a Tolkien genius and have opened my eyes to the deeper meaning of Tolkien's work! I hope that you stay around for many more years to come, and that you continue to be an inspiration in the discussions here.:) Cheers!:D

I just noticed, mine was over a week ago. One year and counting.

Eönwë 12-07-2008 04:06 PM

I just realised that mine was 3 days ago.

Wow! I've been on the 'Downs for over a year.

Thinlómien 12-07-2008 05:25 PM

Belated congrats, Eönwë. :)

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-07-2008 06:28 PM

Yup, seconded. And, Eönwë... only a year? Man, you made an impact, or at least I get the feeling as if you have been around for much longer...

Eönwë 12-11-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 576895)
Yup, seconded. And, Eönwë... only a year? Man, you made an impact, or at least I get the feeling as if you have been around for much longer...

Is that supposed to be a compliment or an insult? ;)

Groin Redbeard 12-11-2008 01:32 PM

Sorry I missed this, belated congrats to you Eonwe.:)

Inziladun 12-14-2008 10:21 PM

Just a quick note to mark my 8 year anniversary here (and the first time I've had the presence of mind to notice). The forum has undergone a few changes since my first visit, but the Downs remains the best Tolkien site and forum to be found. Thanks to my intriguing and erudite fellow Downers for giving new meaning to the phrase 'never a dull moment', all the mods and admins for their tireless efforts, and most of all to the Wight, who somehow keeps this big ship flying.
With any luck, 10 years will be just around the corner.

Cheers

The Might 12-15-2008 10:04 AM

Yay!

The Mistress of Penguins has been dead for four years today.

May her Lordship forever stay dead on the BD! :D

EDIT: To make it clear - Happy Deathday, Lommy!

Thinlómien 12-15-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks, Might. :) It always delights (and surprises) me when someone remembers my deathday without me first gloating about it.

Four years... it's a long time, for sure. Especially if you think that I was not even fifteen when I joined (and you can very well see that in my first posts :D). I do hope I will stay here forever. This place and all the people have just become incredibly important to me, in so many ways and levels...

PS. Belated congrats, Inziladun. You make me feel like a newbie... ;)

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-15-2008 12:38 PM

With joining the praise of Lommy's deathday, I would also like to wish belated happy deathday to Valier, which was a few days ago, unfortunately I haven't been around to wish her on that very day. And of course, a belated happy deathday to Inziladun (and I agree with Lommy on that newbie thing, now what am I supposed to say...)

Thinlómien 12-15-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 577675)
(and I agree with Lommy on that newbie thing, now what am I supposed to say...)

You're just a baby... :p;)

But anyway, agreed about Valier. Belated deathday congrats to the ultimate 'downsian feline, may she stay here for a long time from now! :D

Durelin 12-15-2008 02:56 PM

Belated happy deathday to Inziladun! Cheers to 8 years!

And happy deathday to Lommy!!

Eönwë 12-15-2008 04:15 PM

Happy Deathday, Lommy!

And Inziladun, 8 years is amazing!

Inziladun 12-15-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 577662)
PS. Belated congrats, Inziladun. You make me feel like a newbie... ;)

You, Legate, Durelin, and Eönwë have been far more active here than I have in a shorter span of time, hardly newbies. ;)

Many thanks to all.

The Might 12-18-2008 03:43 PM

:(

Inziladun 12-18-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 578123)
:(

Why the :(?

Eönwë 12-18-2008 05:50 PM

It was only yesterday, Might.

Happy belated Deathday!

edit: x-ed

Inziladun 12-18-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 578144)
It was only yesterday, Might.

Happy belated Deathday!

edit: x-ed

Ah. Seconded.

Thinlómien 12-19-2008 01:34 AM

Belated congrats, Miggie. :) Hope you stay here a bit more regularly now. ;)

The Might 12-19-2008 04:53 AM

Why, of course I will! I have already taken the Quiz Room by force and slowly I will spread around in the other forums like a virus. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-19-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 578178)
Why, of course I will! I have already taken the Quiz Room by force and slowly I will spread around in the other forums like a virus.

We certainly all hope for that ;) :D And belated happy deathday, Miggy... hmph, I always watch out for Downers' deathdays, but about the day just before them I always forget about it... :rolleyes:

The Might 12-19-2008 07:00 PM

Btw, why am I still Miggy/ Miggie? :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-20-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 578268)

You simply still are Miggy (Miggie), we did not manage to forget you... :D

Thinlómien 12-22-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 578268)

What would you like to be, then? "Miggey", like I once suggested on some quiz thread? :p;)

Legate of Amon Lanc 12-22-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 578507)
What would you like to be, then? "Miggey", like I once suggested on some quiz thread? :p;)

No, I think that was me who said that. And you said that Miggey sounds weird and that it should be either Miggy or Miggie, I think.

:Merisu:

Formendacil 01-06-2009 08:10 PM

Today is, in many parts of the world, the Feast of the Epiphany, which is the feast of Jesus being revealed to us as God among us. Although this may mean nothing to most of you, I find it wicked cool that January 6th is ALSO my Deathday. Not that I intend to make any Christ-like comparisons for myself about that being the day I revealed myself among you... I'll make it more flattering and say it's the day the awesomeness of the Downs was revealed to me. In any case, four years of being a Downer have somewhere disappeared, and I consider myself lucky to have looked it up in time to celebrate it (I knew it was early January, but forgot the date). The good times I've had on this site, and off of it with friendships forged because of it, grow more numerous every year.

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-07-2009 06:13 AM

Now that is nice :) Belated happy deathday, then. And hope you are going to have a long stay with us yet...

And just following the train of thoughts you started, it occured to me that in that case the "coolest" Deathday would be probably the Good Friday. But, (perhaps fortunately) its calendar date changes every year, so one cannot have it.

Lhunardawen 01-07-2009 07:18 AM

The whole day today, the thought that there's something I should be remembering kept gnawing at me... and turns out it should have happened yesterday. Boo for amnesia.

Happy deathday, Michael. :) It's amazing that it's already been four years, but somehow it's not hard to believe.

And late deathday greetings to Kath, who turned 5 years dead last January 4! What a perfect day to join the Downs. ;)

Estelyn Telcontar 01-12-2009 11:19 AM

'Tis my 7th deathday today! Who'd have thought that this site would be such an important part of my life for so many years?! :Merisu: