The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Elvenhome (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Barrow-Downs' Third Birthday Party and Downie Awards (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5672)

Nuinatariel 05-02-2003 06:28 PM

Lëowen watched from the shadows as the elf Arafangwen slid from her chair. "Legolas!" the elf yelled. People turned to stare. A warg crashed through the wall, flung by a large hippo. Alarmed, Lëowen hurried over to where Arafangwen lay on the floor. Another elf rushed over and helped Arafangwen into her chair. "Are you alright?" asked Lëowen.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Nuinatariel ]

Eruwen 05-02-2003 06:30 PM

Eruwen had returned to her table some time earlier. Another day had passed, and many new faces had arrived at the party. She saw Samwise finally, and Elentari, Dragoneyes, and many others. It seemed that Eruwen was just hidden within the shadows of the room. After all, she was at a back table near a window.

I believe I shall go get a drink she thought suddenly rising from her seat. Maybe after that I will feel like being a bit more...outgoing at this party.

As Eruwen left to get a drink, she passed through many familiar faces waving at each. Soon, she returned once more to her lonesome table and sat down to drink from the glass in front of her. This was going to be one more long night. Suddenly she saw Earwen come up to the table. Eruwen knew who this one was, but they rarely talked in the past.

"Sure you can join me," Eruwen replied. "It's been a very odd night, hasn't it? It almost seems weird having every member here together in one place...well, almost every member. I still havn't seen Burra. I figured he would show up sooner or later just to make an appearance."

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]

Niluial 05-02-2003 06:33 PM

Niluial looked deeply in Dons eyes. You make even that necklace look ordinary beneath your eyes and radiant smile." Don said. Niluial was taken away by Don. He had stolen all her morals all in one night! *He is such a romantic* she thought.

They danced and danced songs passed. It was almost like no one ells was there!

Oddwen 05-02-2003 06:39 PM

O blessed bartender! What wondrous draughts you keep! The magic drink "Adam's Ale" has revived me! I go now to perhaps chat with an elf...there seems to be a surplus.

((P.s. Adam's Ale is an old english name of water.))

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 05-02-2003 06:41 PM

Chicken sipped his drink, his gaze directed at Thoriel who sat across the table sending him a slightly suspicious glance. Fin and Sophia exchanged glances, "Methinks our fowl friend has questionable intentions..." Sophia whispered to him. Fin chuckled as Thoriel sent him a bit of an acid look.

Grinning he stood up, "Let's leave the young lovers alone for a bit then, shall we?" Chicken looked excited at this prospect. Sophia stood up thinking that being the object of Thoriel's look might indeed kill her.

"What shall we do, then?" she asked Fin as they wandered away from the table toward the bar. Fin took her hand and bowed.

"Well, this is a party, therefore, first we drink, then we dance!" He declared smoothly, picking up two more wines. Sophia took hers and drank it quickly.

"My, my..." Fin laughed as he finished up a bit after her and led her out to the floor. Sophia was a little tired, it was growing late, and as the dance was a slow one, she let Fin guide her, both in her steps and in the conversation.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]

the real findorfin 05-02-2003 06:48 PM

Fin guided Sophia through the moves of the slow dance. Thinking back on all the parties he had held and been to, this had to be one of the best, except maybe that Winter party several years ago. But that was another story.
"We seem to be miraculously drinking more and sobering up," Fin commented. "I think there is something not quite right."
"Oh well," Sophia replied, "lets just enjoy the moment. I'm sure we will be left at a table all night so we will soon be unconscious again."
"Um...suspect so," Fin agreed.

The music stopped but Fin continued dancing and as the next music picked up he adjusted his steps accordingly.
"No point in stopping just yet," he said and held her closer.

Ransom 05-02-2003 07:05 PM

While the majority of the guest had arrived and made their way into the Great Hall of the White Tower of Gondor, a small number of tardy creatures continued to stream down the red carpet under the watchful eyes of the orcish guards. Their captain, a bulky but still intelligent orc, remained vigilant, carefully looking over each visitor for any hidden arms. In the past few days, the Urks had received constant reminders of the price of failure to obey orders. Most of the guards who had been found wanting had been assigned to stand watch over the protesters. The sight of one of their comrade-in-arms dangling from a flag poll by his underwear had spurred the remaining orcs into greater vigilance.

For probably the fiftieth time in the last three hours, the orcish captain shielded his eyes and addressed a visitor. “You’ll ‘ave ta leave your weapons ‘ere with da guards, zir elf. Da weapons will be returned upon departure.”

While the orc was nearly six feet five inches tall slouching, the elf that stood in front of the guard was still a head taller. Ransom casually pulled open his heavy black traveling cloak and began to rummage through the various pouches clipped to his belt. In short order, the orc found himself the chaperone of three small knives, four sealed bottles full of yellow liquid, and a long sword. His black hair, despite being pulled back into a ponytail, still seemed somewhat messy. Nodding his thanks to the orc, who was attempting to juggle his new load without dropping or breaking anything, the elf threaded his way through the crowd toward the bar.

Arafangwen 05-02-2003 07:08 PM

"I'm fine Firondoiel. Thank you for your help Lëowen." the elf-maiden said with sincere gratitude as she tried to regain her composure.

"I should speak with you. But this is not the place. It is the time, but not the place, actualy I should've told you along time ago, I guess I just didn't have the courage." she paused as there were still people staring at her.

"I should keep quiet for now." she said aloud as she began to search Firondoiels mind for any traces of a gift in the area of Onsawe.

Durelin 05-02-2003 07:12 PM

"Are you in?"

"How about a little later, Anuion? I mean, I'm eating, I want to dance some... You like to dance, why don't you for a bit. We should let everyone settle down a bit. Or, you could try inebriating Beth to make our job easier while I talk to Lyra. Okay? I'll talk to you in a bit."

Leaving Anuion with a confused look on his face (maybe that is just how he looks, I don't know), Rytien went back to talking to Lyra. Now that she had gotten him out of her hair...

"Care to dance, Treekiller?" the hobbit asked.

Rytien laughed, "Of course, though I wish the macarena were not the dance you're talking about! I am much better at another one, Far Dareis Mai, even if you will not believe me!" Standing next to Lyra they shook it to the macarena, Rytien a bit stiffly, but not bad.

"Sorry about the whole sword thing. I forgot in my excitement. You know, I wonder about these awards. I mean, what kind of awards can they give out?" Rytien searched the room, still dancing, getting a bit more loose. "I saw Aman and Anuion. They look nice, Anuion a bit strange, but doesn't he always? He's already plotting, and I saw his little 'number' with you. He's a bit scary."

Suddenly Rytien's eyes found Trippo, the hippopatomus. She shook her head. That thing scared her, even more than Anuion. She might not be Tolkien, but atleast she was human! She focused her thoughts on the music for a moment, then shivered. It was spanish, or at least it sounded like it. Spanish. Tormenting memories of the three years of trying to learn spanish from a person who couldn't speak her own language crossed her mind, but she shut them out.

Back to the happy party. She smiled, dancing almost as well as the hobbit, her stiffness leaving her. "This is a great party. Even if the music is sucky, I always hate the music. Well...I seem to have lost my 'cultured' way of speaking. Oh well. Too many words."

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]

Cuthalion 05-02-2003 07:24 PM

"Ransom!" Cuthalion called and strode over to greet him. "It's been too long! You've missed quite a few...interesting things, but I'm sure you'll catch up soon. Would you care to join us in a drink?" Cuthalion gestured to where Maika sat, sipping her champange. Ransom raised an eyebrow and grinned, but before he could respond, Chicken tore past, clucking wildly. It seemed that he had had a bit too much to drink and had been inappropriate to one of the Wargs. Said Warg loped past snarling viciously as Chicken ran through the Hall, zig-zagging for all he was worth.

dragoneyes 05-02-2003 07:28 PM

Thoriel smiled awkwardly at the chicken, the last thing she wanted was to have him running off again. She knew she should have worn her normal plain dress, it had just enough stains to keep any unwanted attention away.

The chicked edged closer to Thoriel, who rolled her eyes and poured herself a drink. She could still try to enjoy herself. She glanced over to where Fin and Sophia were dancing and gave them her most withering look, but they were too engrossed in what they were doing to notice. Thoriel felt somthing on her leg, she looked down and saw a wing casually resting on it. She just stared at the chicken with one eyebrow raised. He promptly removed his wing.

"Thankyou." She said, taking another gulp of her drink.

She glanced back over at the chicken, he looked so downcast, he just melted her heart so she picked him up and gave him a hug, just to show him he was still loved.

"Now why don't you show me that famous dance of yours?" asked Thoriel and the chicken was only too happy to oblige.

elven maiden Earwen 05-02-2003 07:36 PM

"Ah yes quite odd, but much fun" Eärwen said.
"So how have you been Eruwen?."
"Ok I guess its kinda lonley back here."
"Yes I know, when I first walked in it was so crouded that I couldn't find anyone. But it's been fine ever since I have."
Eärwen took a bite of her Balrog Wings. MMMM yummy, they were great. She took a swig of her soda. Eruwen and Eärwen talked for a while.

"Sorry Eärwen but I think that I should go"
"O its ok I think I need to get back and merry making with other guests, See you around" Eärwen said as she and Eruwen stood up.

Well who shall I talk to now Eärwen thought. She caught sight of Firondoiel. I must go say hi she thought as she walked over towards him.
"Hello Firondoiel" Eärwen said.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]

Nuinatariel 05-02-2003 07:39 PM

"Thank you for your help, Lëowen." said Arafangwen. "No problem, I just hope you're okay now." Lëowen told her. Arafangwen nodded, and then began talking to her friend. Lëowen walked over to the bar. "What'll be?" asked the bartender. "Just a soda, please," she told him. The bartender left, and returned shortly with her drink. Grabbing a seat, Lëowen took a few sips of her drink. A yellow chicken ran past, followed by a very angry-looking warg.

Some of the formerly-comatose guests had woken up, and more guests had arrived. The hall was slightly crowded, but not overly so. Lëowen was enjoying her first Barrow-downs party so far. It had certainly been interesting. Maybe she would even get to meet a few new people. Sighing, Lëowen sat back to enjoy her soda.

Firondoiel 05-02-2003 07:46 PM

Firondoiel watched Arafangwen strangely gaze into her eyes. "Are you sure you're all right?" Firondoiel asked still concerned for her friend. Arafangwen distantly nodded still staring at Firondoiel.

"Hello Firondoiel!" Came a cheerful call Firondoiel turned to see elven maiden Earwen coming towards her. "Hello!" replied Firondoiel, "How are you enjoying youself?" asked Firondoiel looking at Earwen's shining face before glancing back at Arafangwen.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]

Arafangwen 05-02-2003 07:55 PM

Arafangwen relized that her friend didn't understand what she was trying to tell her so she stopped, realizing it was making her uncomfortable.

"Firondoiel! I just remembered someone was trying to talk to me just before I went into my trance-"Arafangwen suddenly cut herself off in mid-sentence, "I've done it now." she thought to herself "Do you know who was speaking to me?" she asked Firondoiel, hoping that her friend hadn't noticed her slip of tounge.

"Yes, I belive it was that fellow over there by the bar, Stryker I think. Are you alright?" she asked in concern.

"I'll be fine. I just need to wind down and let some things out. I'll be right back." she said as she wondered over to the bar to ask Stryker what he was saying to her before her sudden errm, colapse.

Stryker Stormeye 05-02-2003 08:02 PM

Stryker turned, to see Arafangwen coming.

"Hello," he said, "Can I help you?"

Samwise 05-02-2003 08:02 PM

Stacey came out from making her call, and headed back to the table. Frodo was not there, no doubt getting "seconds" of second breakfast...or was it teatime now? She never could keep up with the Hobbit schedule of eating...

Leaning over to Primrose she whispered, "Things should be okay in a bit."

That was when she noticed that Prim still had her quiver and bow....

Arafangwen 05-02-2003 08:07 PM

"Hello. I could not help but remember your voice speaking to me before my, errm, incident." she said to him.

"I don't remember what happened but I thought I might have been engaged in a conversation with you. Please, what were we conversing about, if anything at all my good sir." she said with a curtsy as she suddenly remembered her manners which her mother had tried so hard to impress on her.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Arafangwen ]

Stryker Stormeye 05-02-2003 08:13 PM

"I thought you looked rather depressed, so I came over to ask you if anything was wrong. I think my exact words were 'Whats wrong' and 'You look depressed'," Stryker replied, "Then you apparently fainted. Are you feeling alright?"

Arafangwen 05-02-2003 08:20 PM

"Ah, you are perceptive in the least I must say, but I've been better." she said answering the question with a sigh

"I am merely having a more than slightly confusing and frustrating day, I've already fainted twice!" she exlaimed in her exasperation.

"I'm sorry." the elven-maiden appologized in the wake of her outburst.

"I'm not usualy like this, I'm a fighter, not a fainter. I truly don't know what's come over me recently. I need a drink." she commented as she stopped a nearby waiter and asked for a frothy rootbeer.

"How have you been fairing good sir?" she asked as she suddenly remembered her manners.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Arafangwen ]

Samwise 05-02-2003 08:20 PM

"Primrose!"

"What?"

"Go turn your quiver and bow in right NOW! "
Stacey hissed, pointing toward the Uruks at the door.

Primrose wrinkled her nose. "To THOSE guys? No way. "

Stacey stood up. "Primrose Gamgee---"

"I'm not turning my quiver and bow in to any ORC!"

Stacey glanced around the table. WHERE in Middle Earth was Sam??? Oh, great..

Nuinatariel 05-02-2003 08:31 PM

Lëowen, seemingly invisible to everyone, stared at her empty glass. She had finished her drink, and now she was bored. "There must be something to do..." she said to herself. She looked over to the dance floor, "Well, I can't really dance, so that rules that out," Sighing, Lëowen stood up. After thinking for a moment, she shut her eyes and spun in a circle. A few people gave her odd looks, but she just smiled and walked off in the direction she had ended up facing.

elven maiden Earwen 05-02-2003 08:34 PM

"Great this party is a blast. I have met so many new people." Eärwen replied." How about you se asked?" She was so glad to be around new people. Sh elooked around the crouded room. Dang a lot of peole showed up she thought.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]

Samwise 05-02-2003 08:35 PM

Stacey rolled her eyes and smacked her forehead. "I give up."

She had no idea where Sam or Frodo were, and she was decidedly bored. She looked around and saw lots of new people, so she decided to go for a walk.

Firondoiel 05-02-2003 08:40 PM

"Oh, I'm all right I guess. Mithadan has worked hard on this party that's for sure." Firondoiel replied.

"He certianly has." Earwen agreed, "How is your friend? I noticed she fainted."

"She says she's all right but I'm not quite sure. Will you excuse me while I go check on her?" Firondoiel asked.

"Of course." Earwen replied.

"Thank you. I hope you'll join our group later when you're finished mingling." Firondoiel smiled at Earwen then walked towards Arafangwen and Stryker.

Samwise 05-02-2003 08:41 PM

Weaving through the crowd, she looked up to see a young lady stand up, spin in a circle and when she stopped walk in the direction she was facing.

She must be as bored as I am, Stacey thought, wondering if she shouldn't go over and say hello. Looking back at the table, she saw that Tennyson had fallen asleep.

Stacey looked at her watch, then the door.

He'll be in for a nice surprise when he wakes up,she thought. Then she thought about Primrose's quiver and bow and shrugged.

Ah, so she's got her weapons. She wouldn't use them on anyone intentionally.....we're being ignored by everyone else, so the Orcs at the door probably ignored us, too....

Lush 05-02-2003 08:46 PM

Breaking her cardinal rule regarding smoking only on special occasions, Lush lit a Davidoff and puffed impatiently, yet innocently.

Everyone was off on a tangent of their own, even X and Mer were too busy buzzing about whose dress was more revealing, and the blur that enveloped her after her 35th alcoholic beverage showed no signs of abating.

Lush decided to fix the situation by getting her (innocent) hands on a bottle of red wine, which she poured for herself in between irate puffs. If only she could blow smoke-rings as perfect as Bilbo! Or at least Squatter!

What a way to celebrate the end of her freshman year of college! The fact that her white suit showed no signs of succumbing to the dark (dirty) side was her only consolation.

kittiewhirl1677 05-02-2003 08:47 PM

Eladoriel felt herself start to move.

"What happened? Where am I?" She asked.

A voice replied,
"You were drunk, and you fainted."

Eladoriel shot up with a scream.
"DRUNK? I WAS DRUNK? HOW COULD I!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING!"

She then finally realized that she was talking to someone. Someone? But who? Her eyesight was still blurry, and she could barely make out any distinct features of the fast-asleep guests around her. But who was she speaking to? That was the biggest mystery.

Firondoiel 05-02-2003 08:48 PM

As Firondoiel neared Arafangwen and Stryker she passed several couples holding each other close and talking. All of the sudden she felt a deep emptyness in her heart. I wish The Phantom was here with me. At that thought she stopped short. What am I thinking? He doesn't feel that way! Firondoiel sighed and continued towards her quarry with a heavy heart.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]

Nuinatariel 05-02-2003 08:51 PM

Lëowen weaved through the maze of tables, trying to keep a straight path in the direction she had ended up going. More than likely, she would get lost somehow, but at least that would be doing something. Sort of. Lëowen looked around the wonderous hall, laughing as she noted a disco ball hanging above the dance floor, and not paying much attention to where she was going. THUD! "Ouch!" cried Lëowen, glaring at the offending wall that had blocked her path. "Stupid wall." she told it.

Closing her eyes once more, Lëowen spun in another circle, and walked off again.

Samwise 05-02-2003 08:53 PM

Hearing the THUD, Stacey ran over.

"Hey, are you okay? " she asked.

The Saucepan Man 05-02-2003 08:56 PM

A familiar clattering sound rang out from one of the recesses of the Great Hall. Most present ignored it, having become accustomed to the sound of pots and pans colliding with each other and their surroundings. One or two of the more recent arrivals looked up momentarily before returning to their party pursuits.

The Saucepan Man picked himself up from the floor beside the sofa where he had been sleeping. Confused and dazed for a moment, he wondered where he was.

"Ah yes, the Great Hall of Minas Anor" he remembered. "And the Barrow Downs Third Birthday Party".

A contended smile played across his wizened features as he took in his surroundings. Diamond had gone, but Heren-Istarion remained prone on a nearby sofa. Concerned over his somewhat uncomfortable posture, Saucepan picked his legs up and laid them across the length of the sofa. Heren-Istarion murmured contentedly in his sleep.

"Hmm, I hope that I haven't missed any fun while I have been sleeping".

And, with that, the Man laden with Pans poured himself another cup of tea and headed back to the merriment.

Nuinatariel 05-02-2003 09:01 PM

"Oh, hello there." said Lëowen; "I'm fine, really. Stupid wall got in my way." she smiled at Samwise. "I'm Lëowen. Nice to meet you."

Arafangwen 05-02-2003 09:03 PM

"I am bored but not bored enough to drink myself silly as some here have been inclined to." Stryker commented in reply to her previous question.

"I for one have never belived in drinking." said Arafangwen proudly, "I don't think it to be wise or beneficial in anyway so why should I." she stated bluntly.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of Firondoiel approaching her and turned to greet her, suddenly noticing the dejected look on her friends face she wondered what could've happened in such a short time that could've dampened her spirits so. She quickly said goodbye to her new friend and rose from her seat to meet her friend halfway. She decided that it was time to tell her what she had been hiding from her.

"Firondoiel." Arafangwen called out as she met her friend half way across the floor.

"I must speak to you." she said in a voice so serious that Firondoiel immedietly lost interest in all else and followed her into a private room where they could talk openly.

elven maiden Earwen 05-02-2003 09:04 PM

Off to mingle once again Eärwen thought. All of the sudden she herd pots and pans hitting each other. That must be the SaucePan Man! Eärwen hurried over to where the noice came from. She was very eager to meat the famous Saucepan Man. She found him!

"Hello I'm Eärwen" She said introducing herself to The Saucepan Man, tring to control her exciment.

Samwise 05-02-2003 09:05 PM

Stacey smiled. "You too. I'm actually Sam's alter ego, Stacey. Human woman, dosen't belong here, which is probably why I'm bored silly, but I come to these things 'cause he does and Frodo wants us to. You're from here in Middle Earth?"

Frodo Baggins 05-02-2003 09:07 PM

Frodo came flying in dragging Maggie by the hand, he looked frightened out of his mind.

"Heavens, Frodo, what happened?" Elrond asked.

"I-I-I I don't know, I laid down in the grass to rest and Cahira went on ahead. I mist have dozed off because the next ting I knew was I woke up in a broom closet!"

"He was banging on the door when I passed the closet and I let him out." Maggie continued breathlessly.

Isildae set a glass of water in front of the distraught Hobbit "I am sure someone is just playing mean tricks." he said.

"Now Primrose, let's not make a big fuss about turning in that bow. I promise if it's not returned, I'll personally see the moderators about it." Cromthal was trying to convince Prim to hand over her bow.

Hirilaelin 05-02-2003 09:10 PM

Even though she hadn't seen anyone she recognized, Hiri was having a ball. Several drinks had been consumed, and a few treats off of the buffet table... Her coat she had discarded, leaving it on her chair, though she didn't quite know where that was anymore. Ah well, a minor problem. Looking out towards the dance floor, she watched the couples for a few minutes, lamenting her failure to get a date. Though she wasn't sure she could dance right now, what with the floor being so squishy. Maybe she would just sit down for a while. Perhaps all that alecake hadn't been a good idea after all.

Bitterly cursing at the idiocy of wearing stiletto heels, she sank into the first chair she could find. Urgm. No, the alecake had not been a good idea. Stupid of her really. Never had reacted well to alcohol. She could feel a headache coming on. Asprin, asprin... Where was it when you needed it?

Arwen Evenstar the Fair 05-02-2003 09:11 PM

Arwen made her way over to the table were her father was seated.
As she passed the buffet table she grabbed some of the balrog wings that had been so highly recommanded, she took a bite and sighed with delight at the wonderful falvor.
At that moment Elrond spotted her.
"Greetings my daughter, its brings great joy to my heart to see you!"

Samwise 05-02-2003 09:12 PM

Primrose sighed. "Oh...all right, sir. I just wish it wasn't to ORCS!

Tennyson woke up then, wondering what all the shouting was about. He caught sight of Frodo and his eyes widened.

"Whhhirrrrr! BEEEP!"
(Sir, what happened???)