The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do elves stop to age?? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=60)

Amarie of the Vanyar 06-26-2003 12:50 PM

This is all we know [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:

At the Gray Havens dwelt Círdan the Shipwright, and some say he dwells there still, until the Last Ship sets sail into the West.
Appendix A, LotR

Gorthol 06-26-2003 04:46 PM

Meneltarmacil: Círdan seems to be around 11,400 years old (if he awoke at Cuiviénen). Galadriel 8,280 years roughly. Galadriel is older than the sun and the moon. She does show signs:

Quote:

but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profund, the wells of deep memory
Helkahothion: He could possible have "seen it" through the palantíri at Emyn Beraid, as it looked only west over the sea. I believe he did leave Middle-earth and got to Valinor, but *when* is hard to say, maybe with the last people in the fellowship? Gimli and Legolas. An excellent page about Cirdan: http://valarguild.org/varda/Tolkien/...ers/Cirdan.htm

Finwe 06-26-2003 06:49 PM

Well, if Elladan and Elrohir eventually went West, then they probably went with Cirdan, since I think they were pretty much the last Elves in Middle-earth, who wanted, or would want, to sail to Aman.

To Legolas: I'm sure that Ingwë, Olwë, and Finarfin were all in their third stage, but they probably might not have wanted to grow a beard. I guess Cirdan didn't mind growing a beard, since he was probably too busy with his ship matters. It's probably just a matter of choice, like it is with humans. Although, it does make me wonder sometimes, was there an entire industry devoted to making gold-decorated, jewel-studded razor blades?

Helkahothion 06-27-2003 04:46 AM

Thanks for the page. It all makes sence now. Cirdan did see Aman. He went with Sam. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Sam must have felt honored.

Abedithon le,

Anuion

Amarie of the Vanyar 06-27-2003 12:42 PM

Quote:

Círdan seems to be around 11,400 years old (if he awoke at Cuiviénen). Galadriel 8,280 years roughly
Apart from age (which I agree is important), there is also another difference between Galadriel and Círdan that has to be considered: Galadriel lived in Aman, where aging is slower for elves, for about 1,700 years, while Círdan has always lived in Middle Earth, where changes and aging are faster. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Finwe 06-27-2003 12:48 PM

That's true. I always thought also that Elven women age slower than men. Perhaps it's just that Aman/Middle-earth difference.

Morgul Queen 11-29-2003 02:46 AM

Don't cares and woes age Elves as well, e.g. Gwindor, so maybe it's not actual age that causes physical....aging. I mean, my Grandfather is a sailor, and believe me, it's a stressful job, so maybe that is why Cirdan's hroa is more aged than most other Elves.

You know, Elven razors....really weird mental image coming on here...the one razor of Doom *sighs* I blame MYOCSWP for that. Sorry all.

Eol Telemnar 12-12-2003 07:34 AM

I think they age to maturity, then stop. They never age after that.

Eol Telemnar 12-13-2003 08:32 AM

(I know I'm inturupting conversation, but I'm going back to the original question, don't get mad)
Yes, elves do stop to age,they age to maturity, then stop.

Eol Telemnar 12-13-2003 08:34 AM

DARN it! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]!!!!!!! I did it again! forgive me for the double-post. They don't have the same wording, but are exactly the same!!!! Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar 12-16-2003 09:51 AM

You know you could have simply edited your post to say that, Eol Telemnar.

My personal opinion is that elves stop aging when they want to, so Arwen wanted to be young, and elrond wanted to be middle aged.

Do you think htis qualifies as a dead topic.

Olorin_TLA 01-01-2004 10:03 PM

No, they keep ageing. They can't stop time...if they could stop ageing, they'd never Fade, and they wouldn't have needed the 3 Rings either! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar 01-02-2004 12:11 PM

True, but isn't fading different then aging? O always thought it was.