The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do you "assign" to the Shire? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11905)

Kath 09-22-2006 06:23 AM

Lie ins! First one for a week.

Also, finding out that the rest of your hall is as nerdy as you are, and spending the evening watching First Contact, discussing RPGs and arguing over whether the Enterprise would beat a star destroyer in a fight.

Formendacil 09-22-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath
Also, finding out that the rest of your hall is as nerdy as you are, and spending the evening watching First Contact, discussing RPGs and arguing over whether the Enterprise would beat a star destroyer in a fight.

Everyone knows a Star Destroyer would win- those things are battleships, pure and simple, with no other real purpose. Well armed as the Enterprise might be, it's more of a multi-purpose vessel. Also, the Star Destroyer is close to twice the Enterprise's length, if I recall correctly.

Erm... Anyways...

The REAL reason I'm visiting this thread is to assign today's peanut-butter cookies to the Shire. I can't recall the last time I had a cookie half so good. Moist, crumbly, and FULL of peanut-buttery taste... simply divine!

I already had four... and I still want more.

Kath 09-22-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Everyone knows a Star Destroyer would win- those things are battleships, pure and simple, with no other real purpose. Well armed as the Enterprise might be, it's more of a multi-purpose vessel. Also, the Star Destroyer is close to twice the Enterprise's length, if I recall correctly.
But, the Enterprise can fire at warp and has quantum torpedoes. Methinks it's an easy win.

I assign the feeling of being warm and dry after getting so soaked I swear I was 2 stone heavier when I returned than when I left.

Oddwen 09-22-2006 07:19 PM

My parents found our new rental house today. It's huge and beautiful, though I haven't seen it yet. It's got a tennis court. With trees in it! Too bad we're completely inept at tennis.

I get my own room! Yayyyyy!! And probably another whole room for my drums! :disco: Well, a whole music room anyway with space for them.

I might as well assign the whole process that has resulted in my Dad's getting this new job. It's been pretty great (not packing so much, though) so far, and we are all excited for what is to come. :D:D

I also assign going out to eat with a bunch of people you haven't seen in a while, even though you might not see them ever again. :( Also, one of said friend's two-month-old baby. He's such a sweetie.

Another wonderful thing is all-you-can-eat bacon, waffles & fruit, but especially the bacon.

I also assign the wonderful LOUD stereo in my car. Driving wouldn't be half as fun without it.

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-23-2006 10:53 AM

ehm I kind of assign this afternoon, it was great.

First of all the weather was lovely. The sun was shining, not a cloud on the sky and a lovely cool wind. It was to cool to go around in T-shirt (exept if you are english) and to warm to wear a jacket, just as I like it. Further more I was at one of the most amazing sites in the world. Kronborg, a fabulous renaissance castle, renown for being the setting of Shakespears Hamlet.

The only down side to this afternoon is that all of the great national treasures that is there are not danish anymore, they where all taken by the swedish as spoils of war and are only borrowed! (If we can return Islandic and Russian treasures, why can't the swedes ?)

littlemanpoet 09-24-2006 04:52 PM

Remember about that English "sheen of green"? For well on two weeks now we in the Great Lakes have had English temperatures and an English amount of rain, and the grass! The grass! The lawns! The only things missing are sheep to graze, and the correct angle of the sun, though perhaps this is equivalent to London in July (just a guess). Gloaming at high noon! But it's Autumn, the perfect season for it, and it especially brings back memories of a wonderful trip a year ago to the blessed isle. Such green and such memories do indeed belong in the Shire.

Kath 09-25-2006 06:10 AM

So that's where all our rain has gone. Bring it back, thief!

I assign going to your first real lecture and discovering that it wasn't half as bad as you thought it was going to be considering it was statistics, because the textbook for the course is specifically named: Statistics without maths. :D

Mithalwen 09-26-2006 10:54 AM

Spray-on starch. Partly because it makes the ironing easier but also because really crisp italian cotton is so nice to wear. I am lazy so I usually wear cotton jersey tops but I had an interview today hence the formal shirt...

Valier 09-26-2006 11:08 AM

I assign those days when you are dreading going to work, then no sooner than the thought entered my mind, my boss called to give me the day off...WooHoo!!!

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-26-2006 04:22 PM

I assign lazy days when things still manage to get done. Hello, relaxation.

Thinlómien 09-27-2006 01:00 AM

Exam week. I don't have to wake up as early as I normally do. (It begins tomorrow. You might ask me again about this in a few days and I won't promise that it will still be assigned to Shire rather than Mordor... :))

the guy who be short 10-02-2006 11:44 AM

I assign Yom Kippur. I got a day off. :D

Happy Yom Kippur!

ninja91 10-02-2006 12:28 PM

I assign my own bed. It feels great, especially after a cross country meet. 18:24 5k PR! Booyakah!

Thinlómien 10-06-2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
Exam week. I don't have to wake up as early as I normally do. (It begins tomorrow. You might ask me again about this in a few days and I won't promise that it will still be assigned to Shire rather than Mordor... :))

Could reassign it. Exam week is like a holiday; only few hours of school each day (if at all) and the exams were pretty easy, aftre all.. :)

I assign also the soundtrack of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's great.

ninja91 10-06-2006 05:28 AM

post #200 booyakah!

I assign LOST !

littlemanpoet 10-06-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja91
I assign LOST !

Sorry but reality TV shows have already been assigned to Mordor. :p

(yes I know it doesn't LOOK like a reality tv show.....) ;)

Rune Son of Bjarne 10-06-2006 07:32 PM

along with people that salt their food before tasting it. . .now be gone :p ;)

Saurreg 10-06-2006 08:36 PM

A wonderful Saturday night with good friends, good beer and an in house band that does great renditions from the Sultans of Swing.

Volo 10-07-2006 10:53 AM

Walking in the dark forest while listening to The Fear of the Dark and "dark forest music". Sometimes that sure does you good...

Alexei Ribnikov for writing such a great rock opera.

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-07-2006 01:08 PM

Omigosh, sushi. Yum. I've been missing out.

More specifically, having class at a sushi bar. Discussing Marx and Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky over vegetarian sushi... mmm.

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-09-2006 02:50 PM

I swear, it's cool enough to double post.

Understanding, after almost three weeks of mental grappling, everything Immanuel Kant was talking about!

Moral Calculus. Amazing.

ninja91 10-09-2006 05:06 PM

I assign the Mouth of Sauron for being such an interesting and mysterious being.

Rune Son of Bjarne 10-09-2006 05:09 PM

I doubt any one understands Kant. . . .I think someone once said something like this "All philosophers before Kant should count them self lucky, as they did not have to study Kant" It wording was probably much better, but you get the picture.

If you Fea, truly understand Kant, I can only say that you amaze me even more than you did before and I shall recognise you as my superior.

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-18-2006 08:11 PM

The sort of professor that lets you sit brooding in his office for a few hours, moping and feeling utterly sorry for yourself, being both hypochondriac extraordinaire and moody English Major, and then laughs at you. :cool:

Elonve 10-19-2006 02:31 AM

I assign friends coming over to see you when your ill. Especially when they bring treats!!! :D
________
Arizona medical marijuana

Lhunardawen 10-19-2006 02:52 AM

House. (Thank goodness it's no reality show. Hah, Elempi. :p)

Surprising a friend with a "Merry Christmas!" greeting in a bowling alley when it's her birthday.

Kath 10-19-2006 06:40 AM

The feeling of freedom that comes when you no longer have an essay peering at you from around corners the whole time.

piosenniel 11-01-2006 03:48 AM

The tidied up veggie garden where Hallowe'en's pumpkin people will now retire. We'll light up their stubs of candles each dark, cold night until their orange cheeks begin to fall in upon themselves . . .

Lalwendë 11-01-2006 06:46 AM

Fea, for assigning Derrida to Mordor.

:cool:

littlemanpoet 11-01-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Hah, Elempi.

:eek: Wha'd I say? Wha'd I say? ;)

I assign finding unexpected references to yours truly on the Downs. Good as reps. Thanks, Lhuna. :D

Oddwen 11-01-2006 07:53 PM

I assign being back after an extended abscence. :D

And (finally) getting my new library card in the mail!

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-01-2006 08:19 PM

Let me assign having you back then :)

Volo 11-02-2006 03:47 AM

Adhesive tape, for being a way to mend nearly anything (including earphones)

JennyHallu 11-02-2006 09:01 AM

My own earphones have a break repaired as well, wrapped in duct-tape.

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-02-2006 09:38 AM

Duct-tape can fix anything ! (we call it Gaffa-tape)

They use it for last minute repairs at areoplains. . . .

JennyHallu 11-02-2006 09:43 AM

Actually, it's a slightly different product that is used on aeroplanes. My husband is an aircraft mechanic and firmly corrected me last time I made that claim.

My dad and I used duct-tape to repair a fence once. It was supposed to be there to keep the dogs in the yard just long enough for us to go purchase a new board, and ended up lasting for two years, before the board was replaced in order to sell that house.

Rune Son of Bjarne 11-02-2006 09:49 AM

I was joking. . .
I too have a family member that is an air craft mechanic, he did tell me that they did not use ducked-tape, but he did not say that they used some other tape.

JennyHallu 11-02-2006 10:17 AM

It's called, creatively, aircraft tape.

I assign the mathoms my husband brings home from work. Odd tools and switches and parts, the purpose of which is a mystery to me, and the guessing games he plays with me. The other day he got me good with this metal cylnder the size of a battery that clacked inside when you shook it. Turns out it's called a "G-switch".

Kath 11-02-2006 10:46 AM

I assign finding out that your lecture tomorrow is cancelled, meaning that you can go home nearly two hours earlier than expected!

Also the relief that comes when you discover that today is not the deadline for a piece of work you haven't even started yet.

Oddwen 11-02-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune
Let me assign having you back then :)

Thank you. :D

I can't believe I forgot to assign the best thing of all so far - a faster DSL connection! Now I can download eighty things and still surf the Downs at a decent speed.