The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best Fighter (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11712)

Feanor of the Peredhil 06-21-2005 08:03 AM

Pippen's definately not the best fighter, doofus, and you know it. You're just pushing buttons now. ;)

I was thinking more the differentiation between Faramir and Boromir. Most people would classify them as tied somewhere. But Boromir was always the fighter, whereas Faramir did not love the sword for it's sharpness, and all the rest of that long metaphor. In order to boost his way to Boromir's level (which he did, taking over his dead brother's position), Faramir had to cope with his daddy-issues, with the death of his brother, with the fact that he doesn't even like to fight, and when you look at it in the end, he's still an awesome fighter.

I'm not saying that somebody who was born to fight (or anything else really) is not fantastic. I'm just saying that somebody who worked their butt off to get to the same level... I think is automatically "better".

Eomer of the Rohirrim 06-21-2005 11:34 AM

Ok, but Eowyn is nowhere near the level of the others on the list.

Feanor of the Peredhil 06-21-2005 12:06 PM

Quote:

Sure, she's great. I'm not denying it. Heck, Eowyn's one of my favorite characters. But she's certainly not one of the best fighters. One of the most stubborn, sure; but one of the most careless as well. Being an emotional and slightly suicidal gal doesn't qualify you to rank with Aragorn, Gil-Galad, or those other guys for best fighter status.
Remember ^ ?

Eomer of the Rohirrim 06-21-2005 12:17 PM

Why are you still talking about her in post #79?

Feanor of the Peredhil 06-21-2005 12:35 PM

I was talking about her only because it chanced that she was the example I used. The PM was more to encourage discussion on judgement by use of other means besides kill count.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 06-21-2005 01:17 PM

So you're being bold and saying that Faramir was a better fighter than Boromir?

Feanor of the Peredhil 06-21-2005 01:33 PM

I'm saying that although Faramir could probably beat Boromir one time out of two (yes, I'm saying they're STILL tied), that because Faramir had to battle himself, and not just his enemies, to get that far, that I think he deserves more credit.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 06-21-2005 01:41 PM

If you want to question the original object of the fight then I'm in agreement with you! :)

If Faramir had to battle more demons (literal or otherwise) than Boromir then perhaps he was the better fighter.

However, I'm pretty sure we were always talking about physical hand-to-hand warrior combat, and I'd be happy to say that they were equally good.

And who says that Boromir didn't have his personal battles? He didn't take a wife, did he? That leads me to speculate. He clearly wasn't 'normal' in that sense (please realise that 'normal' here is slightly derogatory). How did that go down in Gondor? No siree Bob, it wasn't plain-sailing for Boro.