The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How do we stop them? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15563)

Mithalwen 11-25-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 695527)
I'm really curious about the motives behind them. What are they after?

The ring my precious. ?..it callses them....

Inziladun 11-25-2014 05:33 PM

Maybe it's part of a dark plot of movie-moguls to stifle criticisms of the films! :eek:

The ones I've seen on today all seem to have registered two days or more ago, and perhaps they can't post because they haven't gone through the authentication procedures.

Tar-Jêx 11-26-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 695536)
Maybe it's part of a dark plot of movie-moguls to stifle criticisms of the films! :eek:

The ones I've seen on today all seem to have registered two days or more ago, and perhaps they can't post because they haven't gone through the authentication procedures.

What if they're actually real people?

Inziladun 11-26-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx (Post 695538)
What if they're actually real people?

Then there's apparently a coordinated plan to infiltrate this forum, involving several dozen persons. I still don't see what motives exist for creating so many bogus accounts, but they cannot have legitimate reasons for doing so.

Galadriel55 11-27-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx (Post 695523)
They've been purged a few times, I think. We got above 3200 at one point, then down to 3150, and I think we broke 3200 again before back to where we are now.

Please tell me I need to get new glasses, because these numbers appear to be above three thousand. ...THREE FREAKIN THOUSAND!!!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 695542)
Then there's apparently a coordinated plan to infiltrate this forum, involving several dozen persons. I still don't see what motives exist for creating so many bogus accounts, but they cannot have legitimate reasons for doing so.

I think it's more likely that one or two people are behind a large chunk of the ridiculous accounts. Maybe they hope that by quantity they'll be able to overwhelm the forum and get people to click links... Still, quite a lot of effort and little hope for success.

Tar-Jêx 11-28-2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 695558)
Please tell me I need to get new glasses, because these numbers appear to be above three thousand. ...THREE FREAKIN THOUSAND!!!:eek:

I think it's more likely that one or two people are behind a large chunk of the ridiculous accounts. Maybe they hope that by quantity they'll be able to overwhelm the forum and get people to click links... Still, quite a lot of effort and little hope for success.

If I recall correctly, when I joined, we were at 2800.

On the bright side, all these accounts are gaining us publicity (maybe). However, it's a number of people spamming accounts, rather than joining in our engaging discussion.

Galadriel55 11-29-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx (Post 695565)
If I recall correctly, when I joined, we were at 2800.

Wait... that doesn't seem right. The counter on the main page says "Most users ever online was 1,388, 12-23-2012 at 11:24 PM". Couldn't have been over 2K...

Thinking about it, though, I just noticed that I didn't even look at this counter since (before) 2012, because from what I remember last, the most members was hit at a time before I joined. Still, in 2012 there weren't that many more active Downers; must have been another spammer attack...

Tar-Jêx 11-29-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 695572)
Wait... that doesn't seem right. The counter on the main page says "Most users ever online was 1,388, 12-23-2012 at 11:24 PM". Couldn't have been over 2K...

Thinking about it, though, I just noticed that I didn't even look at this counter since (before) 2012, because from what I remember last, the most members was hit at a time before I joined. Still, in 2012 there weren't that many more active Downers; must have been another spammer attack...

Oh, not users online. Accounts made.

Inziladun 11-29-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx (Post 695573)
Oh, not users online. Accounts made.

I still think they're unable to really do anything. They haven't progressed beyond the 'Registered User' phase. Like Sauron after the destruction of the One, they are:

Quote:

'... a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape.'
'Aurë entuluva!' If only I could wield a two-handed cybernetic axe, and slay these foul ones! ;)

Tar-Jêx 11-30-2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 695575)
I still think they're unable to really do anything. They haven't progressed beyond the 'Registered User' phase. Like Sauron after the destruction of the One, they are:

'Aurë entuluva!' If only I could wield a two-handed cybernetic axe, and slay these foul ones! ;)

Stalk Mister Underhill and The Barrow Wight to their houses at night to gain access to their computers. That way, the power shall be yours for the taking. *tempt tempt*

Inziladun 11-30-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx (Post 695585)
Stalk Mister Underhill and The Barrow Wight to their houses at night to gain access to their computers. That way, the power shall be yours for the taking. *tempt tempt*

I wouldn't presume to try. Though my own residence has its own protective 'enchantments', I expect Admins' homes are veritable Helm's Deeps. ;)

Morthoron 12-02-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 695542)

I believe they are Dwarves typing Khuzdul with a Westron font. Unfortunately for the Naugrim, they cannot understand the concept of posting on this site. After all, there is a big difference between a forum menu and ai-mênu!

Tar-Jêx 12-06-2014 05:43 AM

To be frank, this is frustrating. There have been literally thousands of accounts made to spam us. Could an admin alter the account registration so that if it's a bot (almost certainly they are bots), it will stop working?

Inziladun 12-06-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx (Post 695698)
To be frank, this is frustrating. There have been literally thousands of accounts made to spam us. Could an admin alter the account registration so that if it's a bot (almost certainly they are bots), it will stop working?

There are blocks in place to prevent spambots, and without special knowledge of Admin enchantments here, it looks as if they're mostly working. The rogue accounts are registered, but don't seem to have posting privileges. That makes them a minor annoyance. I think The Barrow-wight is cleaning them out when he comes on.

Andsigil 12-06-2014 09:19 AM

How about if we hop over to 4chan or Reddit and see if Anonymous will crush the spambot senders?

Morthoron 12-16-2014 01:48 PM

Unitedtruckrepair logged on today. Obviously interested in comparing Tolkien's use of the term "wain" as opposed to "waggon".

Morthoron 12-23-2014 08:35 PM

What the hell is going on here? Twice today I saw at least 20 new spelling-impaired spammers trying to log in. What, pray tell, is the reasoning for this spam gone amok?

Inziladun 12-23-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 696287)
What the hell is going on here? Twice today I saw at least 20 new spelling-impaired spammers trying to log in. What, pray tell, is the reasoning for this spam gone amok?

All I can reason is that they're spammers who are able to register, but are frustrated by other security measures so that they're unable to post.
They are persistent, though. If they got real jobs they might actually accomplish something meaningful in life.

Inziladun 12-25-2014 11:01 AM

To the Spammer Army

Get out, you old Bot! Welcome you are not!
Vanish like a bad rash, like a Jackson movie,
Away into the cyber-space in Al Gore's fevered brain!
Come never here again! Leave this barrow peaceful!
Useless and unwanted be, a very evil cretin,
Where capcha stands forever firm, and your code is broken!

tom the eldest 12-30-2014 10:20 AM

So thats all the gibberish account ive been seeing.i have just comeback,and was quite perplexed at these odd accounts

Belegorn 01-04-2015 12:59 AM

There are like at least 40 of them on now.

Morthoron 05-04-2015 03:55 PM

Good Lord, there are five on currently: Qo8syUbhz, Ua9fxEjtp, Uo9deQpjv, z3w9z5o421 and Ed4gyQdav. This is ridiculous.

Kuruharan 05-04-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 696473)
Good Lord, there are five on currently: Qo8syUbhz, Ua9fxEjtp, Uo9deQpjv, z3w9z5o421 and Ed4gyQdav. This is ridiculous.

They all seem very interested in The New Silmarillion. :rolleyes:

Inziladun 05-11-2015 02:21 PM

Since the Maggot-folk of Cyberspace have not ceased their invasion attempts, take THIS!!

http://www.troll.me/images/you-shall...-not-pass-.jpg

Morthoron 05-11-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 696666)
Since the Maggot-folk of Cyberspace have not ceased their invasion attempts, take THIS!!

http://www.troll.me/images/you-shall...-not-pass-.jpg

How embarrassing having Gandalf fall to spam-bots.:D

Inziladun 05-11-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 696670)
How embarrassing having Gandalf fall to spam-bots.:D

But he returned to finish his task: just like the forum! :cool:

Belegorn 07-25-2015 03:05 AM

The shadows (5) creep again....