The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Late Nighter's. (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13467)

Eönwë 01-25-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mänwe (Post 582822)
makes *glomping* people easier I should imagine :p

You have no idea...;)

Beregond 01-25-2009 03:58 PM

So for all you late nighter's, besides the obvious physical adaptations, do you find you get a lot of work/play done when you stay up late, or do you waste the late hours ?

Thinlómien 01-26-2009 04:37 AM

This is how the family plays ww (in the weekend) when the deadline is 8am their time:

Greenie makes her last post 4.43 am.
Lommy makes her last post 5.21 am.
Nogrod makes his last post 8.08 am.

:eek::p;)

The Might 01-26-2009 10:43 AM

Wow, it seems that the age / posting time is an exponential function.

Lindale 01-29-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beregond (Post 582966)
So for all you late nighter's, besides the obvious physical adaptations, do you find you get a lot of work/play done when you stay up late, or do you waste the late hours ?

I do! More play than work, actually. Sometimes I work best at night, when I slept during the afternoon, but these days I don't have that luxury. My last class ends at 6. I get home at 7. I cook dinner and those kinda stuff until about 9. And then I watch TV. By 12 until around 3 or 4, at worse 6 am, I'm cramming on my papers.

Eönwë 02-01-2009 05:27 PM

It's only 11.30pm but I think I'll go to sleep now.

Legate of Amon Lanc 02-01-2009 06:21 PM

It's only 1:21 AM but I have to post in WW yet. :D

Mänwe 02-03-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 584083)
It's only 11.30pm but I think I'll go to sleep now.

Ought to be struck off for that :p

Mhm Legate, I personally get very little done late night. A lot of browsing and reading of things- a good time to absorb information.

Lhunardawen 02-04-2009 01:21 PM

Time check: 3:18 AM

I was fooling around on the Meadhall discussion thread and figured, my foolery would probably be more apt in this thread.

Right now I'm working on a lab report on the osmoregulation of earthworms, and in a while I shall be starting on an oral report on microcirculation and local control of blood flow in frogs. Both are due in a little over five hours.

Consider this a warning to those young enough to heed it: Do NOT take up Biology. :D

Eönwë 02-04-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mänwe (Post 584269)
Mhm Legate, I personally get very little done late night. A lot of browsing and reading of things- a good time to absorb information.

I have to agree with this. When it gets quite late I mainly just read threads- often old ones. But when it's really late then my brain suddenly switches on.

Thinlómien 02-05-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 584464)
I have to agree with this. When it gets quite late I mainly just read threads- often old ones. But when it's really late then my brain suddenly switches on.

Yeah, that is interesting. I have written one of my best RPG-ish posts on the 'downs around 5-6am after almost falling asleep on the sofa before that but forcing myself to stay awake because the post had a definite deadline that was early on the morning my time. :smokin:;)

Eönwë 03-14-2009 07:04 PM

Hmm.... I'm starting to get back into the spirit of things.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 03-15-2009 02:36 AM

It seems that when I stay up late on the BD (like I'm doing at the moment) it seems that no one is online. Of course, I'm not in the same time zone as everybody else. About 6:30 am is the time to get on, but there's no way that I' staying up that long, or waking up that early.

Thinlómien 03-15-2009 07:34 PM

3.34 AM

*raises hand sheepishly*

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-15-2009 07:39 PM

Only 2:37, but that's been for already some time in this week. I think my record's been a few days ago, but... hey, wasn't that two days ago... see, even so early, I cannot think that well anymore :D

Thinlómien 03-15-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 588838)
Only 2:37, but that's been for already some time in this week. I think my record's been a few days ago, but... hey, wasn't that two days ago... see, even so early, I cannot think that well anymore :D

Well you know you're not the only one who's been doing a lot of late-nightering lately... ;)

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-15-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 588839)
Well you know you're not the only one who's been doing a lot of late-nightering lately... ;)

Oh, really? Well, yes, I presume there are millions of people on the Earth who do that... ;)

Eönwë 04-22-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 588841)
Oh, really? Well, yes, I presume there are millions of people on the Earth who do that... ;)

Exactly. Not me now... but nevertheless...

Eönwë 05-17-2009 08:35 PM

Ok. Well, at least now I can post here. Anyone else out there?

But it wasn't Downs-induced this time. I was doing coursework.
But after a certain point your mind clears and you are perfectly awake and there's silence... quite a nice feeling.

Eönwë 07-04-2009 07:30 PM

And again. Oh well, it seems that I'm the only one lately.

Morsul the Dark 07-05-2009 06:55 AM

between 1 and 2 am is my usual shut off time, My fiance goes to bed around 11 and I always say I'll be just a few minutes, two hours later.....

Nogrod 07-05-2009 07:48 AM

Werewolf-games modded by the Americans are the worst. With a deadline of 6 or 7AM and being yourself on a vacation... :eek:

You know what happens. Just as you think, okay that's it for the night (like 1-2 AM) people suddenly start posting and the thread becomes alive - and then you just can't leave... and it comes 3, it comes 4, 5 - and then you think "what the heck, DL soon so let's see this to the end..." :rolleyes:

Lindale 07-08-2009 09:58 AM

1am here. Not quite ungodly, but tonight it tires me too much. It's my third day scouring the internet and university libraries for material on my undergrad thesis on Strindberg's plays. (Any help would be appreciated!):o

I'll play a bit on the Downs before I resume work, maybe catch up on P&A. :D

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-08-2009 08:10 PM

Since I'm not in the same time zones as anybody who I usually communicate on the Barrow-Downs with, I am forced to stay up until 3.00 in the morning in order to be on when all the good discussions are going on.

Eönwë 07-28-2009 07:01 PM

It's 2 in the morning... 'nuff said

Hakon 07-28-2009 07:08 PM

I recently broke my late night habit. I used to stay up to about 4 am and sleep to about 4 pm. Now I sleep till about 10 am at most. I am getting back into my old schedule. So I am kind of a late nighter. For me right now it is only 9:08 pm.

Lindale 09-05-2009 09:16 AM

Hakon: Unpredictable biological clock, eh? :D

Got home from ROTC training at around two in the afternoon, and slept till around 8. Now I can't sleep, and it's past 11. :(

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-10-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 602690)
And again. Oh well, it seems that I'm the only one lately.

Ha! When you are up late, I am up mid day.

Since school started up again, I've not been doing any late nighters, it doesn't help that I don't get much late night time on the comp[uter anyway.

Laurinquë 09-11-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 604778)
It's 2 in the morning... 'nuff said

You're only really on the Downs if it is at least 2:00 AM! Three is better . . . :p

Eönwë 09-11-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 610516)
You're only really on the Downs if it is at least 2:00 AM! Three is better . . . :p

Of course...;)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-11-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 610516)

You were on at three? You're insane. You'd get over that head cold or whatever it is faster if you slept.

Thinlómien 09-12-2009 04:04 PM

It makes me quite worried about my sleep if I log in (after several days' 'downs pause) at 1am... :(:D

Laurinquë 09-13-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 610625)
You were on at three? You're insane. You'd get over that head cold or whatever it is faster if you slept.

I haven't done it lately, though there was that one time a few weeks ago when I woke up at three a.m. to write about my dream of Davem on the Barrow-Downs Dreams thread.

Eönwë 12-23-2009 08:24 PM

It's 2.22am over here. So yeah, I think I'm allowed to revive this thread.

I have a question for you other late-nighters:
Are you more likely to stay up late in the summer or winter? (Or doesn't it matter?)

The Might 01-06-2010 08:58 PM

One year ago, Beregond wrote:

I just read this post of yours from a year ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might http://forum.barrowdowns.com/images/...s/viewpost.gif
ToDay is the first schoolday and I'm going to have to leave to school in about an hour, but since I've up so late the past few days it's kind of hard to go to bed. And I thought that the few hours would anyway only make me more tired in the morning. Plus, I thought that if I don't sleep now it will be easier for me to go to bed earlier this evening. Yeah, quite a vampire-like lifestyle..

And now I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
It's 5.15 AM in Germany and in one hour I have to prepare for school already.
Since I have been staying up so late the entire vacations I thought that trying my best to get to sleep today wouldn't be very useful. So instead I just stay up all night and then later today I can go early to bed and resume the school life timetable.

Gotta say, you're regular! :D I posted in this thread a ways back; had no idea it was so so long ago that I waxed eloquently to no one in particular. I guess I didn't use paragraphs back then...

I still stay up late, but not as late as I used to, and I wake up early now, so that if I stay up it be at the expense of sleep, not daylight. One does not truly become a day-person, who was once a night-person. *gollum, gollum*

So in order to maintain this nice tradition that I have somehow developed (three years ago I posted on the 6th of January in this thread) I wanted to make another post and salute all late nighters here on the Downs!

It's during the quietness of the night that our souls haunt these barrows with greatest pleasure. :D

Lindale 01-06-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 619917)
Are you more likely to stay up late in the summer or winter? (Or doesn't it matter?)

Well, technically, we don't have winter where I live... :p but I often can stay awake with less effort from March to October than from November to February. The cool and dry Amihan wind, which blows winter to China in our north, tends to keep me to my bed more than the warm and humid Habagat wind, which brings the Philippines its monsoon rains.

But if duty really calls, like last night, I stay awake with the help of many coffees or Cokes and much sweet sticky rice stuff. I tend to write my best papers in the dead of night, mostly because there are less distractions and noise.

Lindale 01-10-2010 12:08 PM

2AM here. Funny how alive the Downs is at this ungodly hour... :cool:

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-16-2010 02:53 PM

I finally clocked in at 3... this morning. The Downs was not the most active place.

The Might 06-12-2010 06:35 PM

This thread deserves a lot more attention than it currently receives! :D

02:35 here in Germany and it's going to be a long night of coffee and learning. :eek:

Loslote 06-12-2010 08:35 PM

I usually log off at around midnight or one, so I really have no right to be posting in this thread. The latest ever was 2:00 AM once a few days ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 619917)

Summer. Definitely summer. See, in winter, it's dark and it looks like you should be a bed. In summer, at least in Alaska, the sun doesn't actually set all the way. You can still see shiny fuzzes no matter what the time is. So it's really hard to make myself go to bed before midnight at the earliest.