The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is the reason for your nickname ? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3518)

Rosa Underhill 02-01-2002 03:04 AM

It's my Hobbit name, simple. Felt I needed another name,(I have several already, most of which are longer versions of Razz). Actually, when I got it I accidentally spelled my first name wrong by one letter but when I spelled my name right, I didn't like it, so I kept the first one!

Everard Bracegirdle 02-01-2002 08:13 AM

My nick ...

Well, I used the name-generator here at Barrow-Downs, so I knew my hobbit-name between the others. I loved my elvish-name, but I use it only when I ride with my bike [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] ...
... but in everyday life I'm rather an honest simple hobbit than an unattainable elf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ...
... and this important name give me the chance to go deep inside the Tolkien world. In some manner, this nick choose me, not the contrary.

Mayla Took 02-01-2002 10:28 AM

My nick name is based on Pippin. He is one of my favorite characters. So, I created a name and a history for my character! Fun hu!

Niphredil Baggins 02-01-2002 10:28 AM

Should anyone be interested in my not-too-humble name choice: Niphredil Baggins is the daughter of Frodo Baggins in my fanfiction story...

Mankáno 02-01-2002 11:36 AM

Well, I wanted to use Fingon, but it was in use already and I didn't want to add numbers or stuff like that.

So, I just used the tool in the frontpage to generate my elf name and this come out [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ithilwen 02-01-2002 11:59 AM

I chose Ithilwen (which means "moon-maiden" in Sindarin) because it seemed a reasonable transliteration of my real first name, Diana.

Samwise 02-01-2002 08:28 PM

Niphredil and Ithilwen, welcome to the 'Downs!
Quote:

*Frodo and Sam walking across a feild*
*Sam stops*
*Frodo turns* "Sam, what's the matter? "
*Sam* "If I take another step, I'll be farther from home than I've ever been."

tithenroval 02-02-2002 06:48 PM

Tithen Roval is the closest I could get to Little Wing in Sindarin. Roval means great wing (of eagle), which really makes no sense with "little" in front of it, but I decided I would use it anyway.

Ara'rial 02-02-2002 06:51 PM

I found my name in a fanfiction for the anime I watched before. It was pretty and kind of reminded me of an elf name, so I used it.

Samwise 02-02-2002 10:59 PM

Tithen Roval and Ara'rial -- both good names 'cause they're original, I think! (unlike mine, but I have my reasons for using it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Welcome to the 'Downs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

"Eavesdropping!", cried the wizard. "To punish you properly for listening, you shall go away with Frodo."
"Me Sir!", cried Sam. "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray! "

Ara'rial 02-03-2002 01:20 AM

Thank you kind sir. (sorry for spamming too)

Lady Glory 02-03-2002 01:39 PM

My name Lady Glory, came from a character
in a book a good friend of mine was writing.
He never got to finish his book. He was killed in a car accident. I think it would have been a very good book.

Samwise 02-03-2002 04:27 PM

Per Ara'rial:
Quote:

Thank you kind sir. (sorry for spamming too)
You're quite welcome--though I don't see where you were spamming! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

*Frodo and Sam walking across a feild*
*Sam stops*
*Frodo turns* "Sam, what's the matter? "
*Sam* "If I take another step, I'll be farther from home than I've ever been."
(Yeah, probably just another movie moment, but I liked it.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Tilion 02-04-2002 03:38 AM

Well, my first post here so might as well post the meaning of my name.

My name is fairly obvious to those who have read the Silmarillion. Tilion is the one who guides the moon in its journey through the heavens. However, he sometimes draws off course because he is so drawn to the sun and its guide - sometimes the shadow of the moon will even block out the sun because he draws too near.

I liked the sound of the name and the character behind it - he carries a wondrous bow of silver and fought off the dark hosts of Morgoth when he assailed the moon and its light when it appeared.

Callaedriel 02-04-2002 06:38 PM

I wanted to create a new name for my yahoo ID. I came up with my name from the elf name generator, sort of. I didnt like the name the generator came up with my real name, so i mixed up names of my friends. and came with a name close to this one, but i didnt like the way it was pronounced, so i played a bit.
Now i just realized that i spelled my nickname wrong. It s supposed to be Callaedriel. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

ArwenBaggins 02-04-2002 08:15 PM

i dont really no why i chose ArwenBaggins. My brother decided on that name,but i wanted Morrambaiel,which means Dark River,in Elvish. We put the names in a cup and i (unluckily) drew ArwenBaggins. BUT FROM NOW ON, CALL ME MORRAMBAIEL (MORR) WHEN U EMAIL OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME!!!!

-Thankz
Morr

Samwise 02-05-2002 08:19 PM

Calledriel and Tilion, welcome to the 'Downs!
Quote:

"Eavesdropping Sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact."
Sam Gamgee

Narya 02-07-2002 01:55 PM

Gandalf is one of my favorite characters and I like the name Narya (name of his elven- ring) since I read it for the first time at the end of RotK.
(I also have roleplaying- characters named Narya.)

Pips 02-08-2002 03:05 PM

Pips, isn't it clear where I got that one. Pips is short for Pippin, who is my second favorite character, Frodo being my first, but it was kinda hard for me to think up some name for me to do with Frodo, since I'm female. But Pips seemed to work.

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin 02-08-2002 03:36 PM

I am called what i am called because thats what the name generator said i was called, but i want to change my name now to something to do with the men of Rohan but I can't without losing all my info stuff

Aralaithiel 02-08-2002 04:05 PM

I typed my full name into the Elven name generator, and it gave me "Aralaithiel". It is also the name of my main character in my fan fiction. She is the "other" daughter of Elrond. In my story, she is fond of music & horses. She is the grandaughter of Gil-Galad, and will ascend to the throne of the High Queen of the Noldor, only she will unite the Teleri, Nandoran, and Sindarin/Silvan elves into one realm. She will then change her name to Lintelonniel, which means "Queen of Horse & Harp" in Elvish, and she will wed Legolas, whom she met when he came to Lothlorien with the fellowship. Look for the first installment coming soon to the fan fiction section of the Barrow Downs.
Sorry for the shameless plug!!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Female warriors! Heed the call to join Galadriel's Guard!

Mereth'iel 02-09-2002 09:26 AM

Hi, I'm new. I chose Mereth'iel because it is a play on my mundane name in Elvish.

Be well,
Mereth'iel

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mereth'iel ]

Samwise 02-11-2002 05:11 PM

Wish I'd've thought of posting what I posted before, but....
to see the reason for my nickname (in full) go to the thread: "secrets" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

LOTR Moment (IV) (Moria)
Orcs are everywhere
Samwise whacks one with a pot
gets..."the hang of this!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman

Daegwenn 02-12-2002 07:03 PM

Daegwenn means Shadow Maiden...My favorite place that JRR Tolkien made was Lothlorien. *shrugs* The gray that they where is that of the shadows of their homelands.

Samwise 02-12-2002 09:26 PM

Hello, Daegwenn. What part of Canada are you from?
Quote:

LOTR Moment (III) (Second Breakfast)
Pippin stops to cook
Aragorn says there's no time
Apple hits a head.

Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman

Rayne 02-13-2002 12:23 AM

no special meaning to my name, just a messed up version of rain, my favourite weather pattern.
though i feel a bit inferior to everyone elses names in this forum. wow!

Aprylien 02-13-2002 09:46 AM

Just an adaption of my real name, Apryle (pronounced "April"). Looked kind of elvish to me anyway, so I added the i and n.

I love some of the names on the board. Wish I was that creative.

outcast125 02-18-2002 05:37 PM

Edit, ok you can't see it, and I can't chane it, this is just my name, but my loggin is outcast125, my nick everywhere else but here now.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Claire Caswell ]

Samwise 02-18-2002 07:37 PM

Hello, Claire! Welcome, whatever you're calling yourself! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:

Gandalf: "Sam, do you know what Kingsfoil is?"
Sam: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] "That's a weed! "
(Yeah, I know, that particular instance didn't happen that way in the book. Nevertheless, I thought it was kinda cute/funny that Gandalf asked Sam of all people, and of course, Sam's response....) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Melime 02-18-2002 08:05 PM

Well in English my name is Amanda, which translates to mean 'Loveable' in latin. Translate 'Loveable' into elven and BAM! You get Melime.

Therefor, my nick is Melime. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell 02-18-2002 08:27 PM

Well, Vilya is the Ring of Air, which I like, and it's sapphire, which is not only my birthstone but my cat's name. And it resided in Rivendell, which has to be my FAVORITE place in all of middle-earth.

Elathelas is my 'elvish' name, or what the elves would call me if they saw me. Anyone who knows elvish can translate that.

HINT: the El- 'star' is as far as I got in transdlation, but I've got a pretty good idea of what the words 'athelas' means anyway. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elven-Maiden 02-19-2002 09:45 PM

My nickname is Elven-Maiden, cuz that's my dream [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But my elven name is Nevlachiel, and if I'd known that beofre I'd signed up, I would've signed up with that [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] So you can call me whichever you like! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 02-19-2002 09:48 PM

I chose this name because it was given to me by the Hobbit name generator - I am flattered that I would be in two of the most powerful families in the Shire - my full name was Tigerlily Gamgee of the Tooks of Bywater. Pretty cool - I kept it cause I think it sounds good!

Bruce MacCulloch 02-19-2002 10:37 PM

I chose this name because it is my name.

Raefindel 02-19-2002 10:50 PM

WOW, BRUCE that's origional! Raefindel means red-haired elf, (because I'm a red-head, and because "too short to be an elf" didn't seem to work for me.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 02-20-2002 11:06 AM

Hey, am I the only one here confusing Rose Cotton and Rosa Underhill? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Aratrűthiel 02-20-2002 12:05 PM

Hi!

Well, I can't say that my name is really original . . . I typed in my middle name to the name generator. But I liked it, so I decided to use it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Aralaithiel . . . it's funny that you have a story like that (not the story itself . . . but anyway) because there is a Collaborative Writing story over at Tolkien Movies that has a very similar charcter. Another daughter of Elrond.

O.K. I'm done now. I'm new, but I thought I'd jump in.

Starbreeze 02-20-2002 01:39 PM

My nick name comes form... I don't know where! As I probably explained in one of the other forums I am a part time fantasy writer which means that I am always looking for new "words" and "names". This one probably came from mis hearing "sneeze" although some names come to me in flashes of pure inspiration, this maybe one of them. However, I might have read it somewhere ages ago and it came back to me recently, so that I thought it was one of my creations. However it came about, I like it. I haven't used this in one of my books yet but I might, prehaps. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Suzanne 02-20-2002 01:57 PM

My nickname speaks for itself [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Rosa Underhill 02-20-2002 02:34 PM

Raefindel- I don't think you're the only one. Someone else was getting us confused earlier. I just find it funny. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It's right up there with all the times people on other message boards think I'm a man (I guess "Razzek" does sound a little masculine).

Quote:

but it was kinda hard for me to think up some name for me to do with Frodo, since I'm female
Actually, "Frodo", in the Hobbit-tongue, is the more feminine name. The letter "a", apperently, was seen as a more masculine ending for names in the Shire. (I found this all out in the translations notes in the appendices. Thank you, Mr. Tolkien!) So, Frodo's real name is "Froda"! And I'd be Roso, wouldn't I? *snicker* That just souinds funny. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]