The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do you "assign" to the Shire? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11905)

Eonwe 02-07-2006 12:45 PM

Chap stick and lotion. I live and die by them...

Enedhilion 02-10-2006 08:19 AM

I assign Progressive Metal to the Shire.
THANK YOU.

the guy who be short 02-10-2006 12:25 PM

While I love metal, the image of little hobbits moshing to Iron Maiden does seem a little... odd. :p

The Saucepan Man 02-10-2006 01:41 PM

Iron Maiden?

Progressive?

:eek:

Lalwendë 02-10-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the guy who be short
While I love metal, the image of little hobbits moshing to Iron Maiden does seem a little... odd. :p

Can't beat a bit of moshing. I've just spent half an hour doing it in the living room - it's my alternative aerobic routine. Rargh! :cool:

Or does Enedhilion mean things like Yes or early Genesis? I defy anyone to mosh to The Battle of Epping Forest. Or am I just showing my age? :(

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-10-2006 03:02 PM

While I don't dislike Iron Maiden, I prefer the thought of hobbits jamming to Metallica's Master of Puppets album... Ride the Lightening works also. Surely a bit of hobbitish playing of the air guitar to chase off the stress of a long day?

And I must assign to the Shire the song La Tortura by Shakira. You can't listen to it without wanting to dance.

And dancing must certainly have been assigned already. Ballroom, ballet, belly dancing... All fun in their own way.

I assign learning to waltz with your grandfather, who just happens to be the coolest guy ever. I assign the limberness after a long ballet warmup. I assign everything about belly dancing, because there's nothing quite like the looks on people's faces when they catch you laundry-room-dancing.

And about that, I assign laundry-room-dancing. When the lounge is full and the common room is taken and there's just not enough room in dorm-room or hall to move, and you take an old-school boombox to the laundry room for a bit of jiving... that's a blast, I promise. All should try it.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-11-2006 10:57 AM

I assign scissors. And hair. And spontaneous creation of bangs that, let me tell you, totally rock. I'm sure hobbits love cutting their hair. Right?

Mithalwen 02-11-2006 11:57 AM

You could have it so much better with FranzFerdinand

I'd assign "Eleanor put your boots on" (which is my current favourite song) ..... but I am not sure the hobbits would really get it....

littlemanpoet 02-11-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Yes or early Genesis? I defy anyone to mosh to The Battle of Epping Forest. Or am I just showing my age?

Oh migaw! :eek: Don't worry, it's a good age. :D

I assign to the Shire everything Genesis did between 1970 and 1976; except for Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which belongs in the realm of the University Hospital of Mordor at Urukapolis (keywords: Sigmund, Jung, psych eval).

Caunwaithon 02-11-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enedhilion
I assign Progressive Metal to the Shire.
THANK YOU.

[insidejoke] I assign studying history to the shire, endhelion.[/insidejoke]

I have always thought of anything of bounty belonging to the shire. Everything is large, the parties, the food, the egos.(Well...except for the hobbits, lol.)

the guy who be short 02-13-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

My local library, in all its wonder.

Need an obscure book hardly anybody has heard of? Written in 1945? Only one edition printed? No problem, we'll have it at your nearest library in three days.

:D

I think I need to resend my library to Mordor. It allows me to withdraw a copy of Utopia (More) from 1869 if I so will it. :eek: I love you, library fair.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-13-2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

I think I need to resend my library to Mordor. It allows me to withdraw a copy of Utopia (More) from 1869 if I so will it. :eek: I love you, library fair.

To Mordor? Oh dear. That poor library. ;)

I send oil paints. Sure, my hands are the cleanest shade of grayish blue possible, and have been since yesterday because we ran out of paint thinner and no matter how much soap you use, oil paint are stubborn... but that mural... The idea that I started something and finished it is a nice one. From sketch to gridded to painted to detailed, and it looks fantastic.

I assign to the Shire murals and painting and making people smile.

JennyHallu 02-13-2006 12:38 PM

I assign the dessert I had last night. Peach ice cream is really really good drowned in those strawberries that are frozen and come in little plastic tubs.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-13-2006 05:09 PM

I assign curling. With nothing better to do (because homework doesn't count), I turned on the television, and what do I see but the Olympics? I've only just decided that it's a blast and a half to watch these men so seriously rub ice with a broom at top speed.

Bęthberry 02-13-2006 05:30 PM

Oh my dear Fea, don't overlook that women are often the best skips at curling and of course are absolute naturals with the broom. ;)

Formendacil 02-13-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Oh my dear Fea, don't overlook that women are often the best skips at curling and of course are absolute naturals with the broom. ;)

"O Canada", eh Bethberry?

On a related note, I wish to assign all the hardworking, honest young athletes for whom competing in the Olympics is a dream come true, to the Shire. They deserve it there, although I don't think it's a very good venue for the Winter Olympics.

The drug-using, fame-greedy, narcisstic athletes can go to Mordor.

Lhunardawen 02-14-2006 12:46 AM

I conassign not having snowy winter seasons to Mor...

Oh, is this the Shire? :o

Hmm...I assign the intermediary period of having nothing to do for school because the midterms week had just passed. I thought I was becoming lazier than ever, then I realized that there really is nothing to do. :)

Enedhilion 02-14-2006 08:09 AM

Birthdays! :D (Mine is today)

Thinlómien 02-14-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enedhilion
Birthdays! :D (Mine is today)

Congrats! I like them too! :D (Mine is next week...)

I assign chocolate. I think that doesn't need any explanations.

Nilpaurion Felagund 02-15-2006 04:14 AM

Shameless slug's plug:

Quote:

While I love metal, the image of little hobbits moshing to Iron Maiden does seem a little... odd. :p (daga'y who be wolf :D )

Rock 'n Roll Ain't Shire Pollution!

Eonwe 02-15-2006 02:22 PM

Blueberry yogurt, blueberry pancakes, your mom making sticky buns with cream-cheese ising, Leon Uris, and ... landing a 360!

Oh, and clean teeth, even if it does riquire a visit to the dentist... :D (clean teeth)

Oddwen 02-15-2006 03:11 PM

When at the dentist, he/she gives you a gum massage wearing rubber gloves...man, that's the best thing in the world.

Really.

Orominuialwen 02-15-2006 04:40 PM

Nutella. It's probably the world's most wonderful food. :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-15-2006 04:43 PM

I'm pretty sure I agree about Nutella. I imagine hobbits must love the stuff. And if they don't, I do and that's all that matters.

Encaitare 02-15-2006 04:51 PM

When one of your best friends gets you a present on Valentine's Day because you're both single. That totally made my day. :D

Mmm, Nutella...

Estelyn Telcontar 02-16-2006 01:32 AM

You do realize that Nutella comes from Germany, don't you?! I bet you thought they only make great cars over here...

And yes, I too assign spreadable chocolate to the Shire, especially when combined with banana slices for a wonderful open-faced sandwich. Though I don't allow myself to eat it very often...

Lhunardawen 02-16-2006 02:29 AM

Nutella...mmm...

The combination of chocolate and hazelnut definitely belongs to the Shire.

And caramel. I'm sure the hobbits are addicted to it.

Lalwendë 02-16-2006 03:36 AM

There's something even better than Nutella (yes, really!) and that's Marmite. Droooooooool.............. Twiglets are made with Marmite and I daren't buy them as I can't stop until I have finished a pack, but there are also Marmite Biscuits now. They are expensive and hard to find but once you get a box you cannot stop until they are all eaten. I can imagine they would be good with cheese on, but we wouldn't be able to pause from scoffing for long enough to find out. :D

I also assign Kikkoman's Teriyaki marinade, as this is my new addiction. I used up the whole bottle I got last weekend and am now into withdrawal until I get some more. :(

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-16-2006 07:38 AM

I assign the looks on my friends' faces and the shock on my best friend's voice (we were on the phone at the time) when they see you ordering marmite online because you wanted your favorite kind of tea enough to risk parental wrath by ordering it and then saw marmite next to it on the list of items. Let's hope it's as awesome as you say, Lal! And let's hope my tea gets here before break! (PS, that means it's got just over 24 hours to do so). Oh, and I assign vacations.

Lalwendë 02-16-2006 11:34 AM

As they say, you either love it or hate it. If you love it, then you are hooked! I've just had some, too because I was thinking about it all day and had to eat some as soon as got home!

It's best on toast, either alone or with a large helping of beans, cheese, egg or peanut butter. And what's more it's about the only food that has B12 in it apart from meat, so vegans can tuck in!

I want some more now...

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-16-2006 12:22 PM

B12? That's good for me! I like things that are good for me. :)

I assign blustery days. The kind that depress other people, but can give such a rush. When you walk out into the mildly warm air, expecting to freeze and realizing you won't. The way that the whipping wind pulls your hair out of place, letting it dance in front of your eyes. The sound of crows frantically yelling to one another and the bells of the Tower beating the hour to nearly the same rhythm as the staccato cracking of the wind-driven flag. The paranoic rustling of squirrels on dead twigs. The single leaves forgotten in autumn that still clutch daintily to sleeping branches. The grey sky that promises change and threatens that it will be for the worse.

I love the kind of day that makes you catch your breath in wonder.

Firefoot 02-16-2006 03:53 PM

Ooh, Fea, I came here to write about a similar kind of day... :D

I had a delightfully hobbity experience walking home from school today (still can't drive...). See, my favorite way home (and, incidentally, the shortest) crosses over some fields between some people's yards and one of the busier streets in town - I think they're owned by the doctor's office but anyway. I walked outside expecting it to be freezing cold like it has been but instead I find that I can take my winter coat completely off. The wind was picking up, and darker clouds were just starting to move in - it rained last night and I think it's going to rain again soon, you can just smell it. So when I got to the fields, it was so nice that I just took off my shoes and walked barefoot over the slightly muddy fields. That wet slightly squishy feeling is delightful, even if the water is still slightly chilly (it is February, after all, and normally I wouldn't even think of doing this... actually that's not true. I tried once and about froze my feet off...). Not quite sunny, but with patches of blue sky poking through the greyish clouds. Mmm.

Just warm enough that it feels delightful to open up the window, even if my mom just yelled at me to shut it because it's too cold...

Days like today are definitely Shire-worthy. So are bare feet.

Formendacil 02-17-2006 02:04 AM

I assign to the Shire the feeling of it being -20 degrees Celsius when you arrive at home late at night, and discovering that the biting wind of early is gone. It feels so... Warm!

I guess that's a rather Canadian feeling, eh?

Oddwen 02-17-2006 11:12 AM

You can feel it ice fishing in Michigan too, Form.

In light of my latest dream, I send the Star Spangled Banner and duets with Boromir88 to the Shire.

Feanor of the Peredhil 02-17-2006 11:16 AM

So um... Lal... that Marmite? You said it belongs in the Shire? *shudder*

Is it supposed to be so... um... there are no words to describe.

Mind you, dipping a Marmite-flavored potato chip into Marmite might not be the best introduction to the stuff...

Valier 02-17-2006 11:20 AM

I assign Art Appreciation.....There's nothing like staring at some wierd work of art and trying to reveal some theory about it's content.

Lalwendë 02-17-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
So um... Lal... that Marmite? You said it belongs in the Shire? *shudder*

Is it supposed to be so... um... there are no words to describe.

Mind you, dipping a Marmite-flavored potato chip into Marmite might not be the best introduction to the stuff...

I am a self-confessed marmite freak and even I would be scared of using it as a dip! Yes, that might be overkill! It's strong stuff! :eek: You need to get a nice piece of hot toast, butter it, and then very thinly spread some marmite on it - lovely. You only need what you can get on the tip of a knife.

Even my cats like it. :cool:

littlemanpoet 02-18-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Even my cats like [marmite.

Which means it's really cat food, is what you're trying to say, right? I've tried the stuff. **!!double shudder!!** I hear vegemite from down under and a couple steps to the east (2 islands by the name of new sea-land or something like that) is not so different.

To the Shire, weird as it may seem: the phone jack filter that makes it possible for my internet not to disconnect due to line noise! Yay!
:D

Lalwendë 02-19-2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Which means it's really cat food, is what you're trying to say, right? I've tried the stuff. **!!double shudder!!** I hear vegemite from down under and a couple steps to the east (2 islands by the name of new sea-land or something like that) is not so different.

To the connoisseur, Vegemite is an abomination and ought to go to Mordor forthwith.

I'm sending my cats to the Shire anyway, seing as they have become newly fledged mousers and have been on alert for any pesky rodent activity around my house. We managed to trap one in a boot with the help of one of my cats. Though worryingly she has begun to take an interest in one of the bookshelves! :eek:

Eonwe 02-22-2006 12:18 PM

Yogurt, and specifically the blueberry yogurt produced by Yoplait, which I am cerrently savoring...ummm-hmmmm.... :)