The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

GaladrieloftheOlden 05-22-2003 02:23 PM

I am also guilty of that, except that it is at my school computer room...

~Menelien

Eressië Ailin 06-01-2003 11:50 AM

This morning I was reading a bit of The Phantom of the Opera, and I came across the name Darius. Of course, the first thing that popped into my head was, 'Lyra!' There have been so many other Phantom connections that I can't think of right now...

Arafangwen, is it safe to assume that you are a Phantom phan? *crosses fingers*

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]

Arafangwen 06-01-2003 12:35 PM

It depends on what Phantom you're talking about . Actualy, I love all of the Phantoms I know [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] . I really do like the Phantom of the Opera though, but that's not the-. I'm just digging myself deeper and deeper into this hole.....

Lyra Greenleaf 06-01-2003 12:59 PM

Quote:

This morning I was reading a bit of The Phantom of the Opera, and I came across the name Darius. Of course, the first thing that popped into my head was, 'Lyra!'
Aha! Wrong Darius but never mind. I'm a symptom again!

How about it was my Prom (what us Brits call a Prom anyhow) half way through the BDs birthday party and as I got up to dance I had visions of the macarena, exploding Balrog wings and a hippo... People might have wondered at my demonic grin!

vanwalossien 06-04-2003 03:07 PM

A very obvious sign of addiction is to see BD'ers everywhere, like when you read in a travel guide about Ireland's lush, green countryside, but when you spot the word 'beren' and think of Beren87 before Beren Erchamion, then you're mad... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]

Neferchoirwen 06-06-2003 02:46 AM

I look out my backyard and imagine my dogs are hobbits...

I carried my friend's two-month-old baby and thought it was a hobbit...

I keep the downs on my computer when I'm online, and I get all tense when I'm in school and I'm not on a computer somewhere...

Annalaliath 06-06-2003 09:07 AM

You tend to recomend the Barrow Downs to everyone that you meet.

You pester your friend to go look at the Barow Downs.

And finally the Barrow Downs is the first thing you do in the morning( if you don't have work).

Beren87 06-06-2003 09:11 PM

Your girlfriend begins to call herself a "Barrow-widow". [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Neferchoirwen 06-07-2003 08:59 AM

...I treat Barrow Downs as a sedative, next to coffee.

Addiction to Eowyn Challenge: I just walked for 2 miles under the 1pm sun, foregoing any transportation just to get more miles on the challenge.

*Lúcëwen*Elerína*Eruiel* 06-07-2003 12:41 PM

Ah, the Eowyn challenge! I am also adicted to that! I've even started to carry my counter thingy around with me everywhere.

*Even the people who don't know you, know that they should tell you they don't like the Barrow Downs before you start introducing them to every aspect of it, ie.=you have quite a reputation for obsession

Beren87 06-07-2003 12:52 PM

Quote:

as a sedative, next to coffee
...? coffee...isn't exactly a sedative.

You know you're addicted when you get more excited about the PT you just got than the date you have tonight.

[ June 07, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]

vanwalossien 06-07-2003 01:13 PM

Quote:

Your girlfriend begins to call herself a "Barrow-widow".
Beren, that is really alarming! Though not having a boyfriend because your social life is Barrow-based is just as bad... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And also, using the prefix barrow- on every possible word is a bit worrying. Like having a word file called Barrow-Quotes on your PC, full of BDers' sigs and other quotes from the Downs.

VanimaEdhel 06-07-2003 01:29 PM

The highlight of your day, even though you just took the SAT II's and think you did really well, was seeing that the X-Men-related locations are increasing, even though they are all ganging up on you. You also go around looking at people's Locations just for fun.

EDIT:
Quote:

Like having a word file called Barrow-Quotes on your PC, full of BDers' sigs and other quotes from the Downs.
I have one called "Barrow Downs Chat Quotes", so don't be alarmed. And now, for the record, with size 7 font, 1/2 inch margins on every side, and three columns, it is now nearly two full pages long.

[ June 07, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 06-08-2003 02:32 AM

Quote:

You know you're addicted when you get more excited about the PT you just got than the date you have tonight
I didn't have a date, but I did get pretty darn excited about the PT.

I also have a Barrow-Quotes file, and it is also very long. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sophia

Lyra Greenleaf 06-08-2003 04:11 AM

Yes! Jumping up and down and squealing when you get a PT is a bad sign. Especially when your sister is having all her friends around for her birthday party...

SOPHIA: coughcough CONGRATULATIONS! I thought I shouldn't make a post on the RTC discussion thread just for that.

Sirithheruwen 07-29-2003 02:13 PM

Hey, I can relate to most of these. Here's another one!:

When you freak out whenever it takes about 15 seconds to load.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 07-29-2003 02:56 PM

I get all depressed when no one is posting very much on the threads I frequent, or when someone hasn't responded to one of my PMs yet, or when I have a reslly good quiz question to ask, but my last answer han't been confirmed yet.

Elennar Starfire 07-31-2003 01:40 PM

Quote:

Like having a word file called Barrow-Quotes on your PC, full of BDers' sigs and other quotes from the Downs.
I have a file for sigs I like, another one for locations I like, and another one for random quotes. They are long, and growing...

Luthien_ Tinuviel 07-31-2003 04:09 PM

Quote:

I have a file for sigs I like, another one for locations I like, and another one for random quotes. They are long, and growing...

I should do that! Starting with your sig and location (I've always liked your location). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eglaladiel 07-31-2003 08:17 PM

Ha ha ha! its really funny. not all of them are true for me though...so i guess i have a life....right???

the guy who be short 08-01-2003 05:25 AM

Quote:

You tend to recomend the Barrow Downs to everyone that you meet.
True. I added somebody to my instant messenger, but got one character wrong. I asked them if they liked LotR, recommended BDs, and left!
I also bug my friends who aren't really obsessed to come here. And Teachers. And Librarians. And...

When you have dreams about the BD. (I dreamt we had a reunion)

Lëowen 08-01-2003 08:48 AM

Quote:

When you have dreams about the BD. (I dreamt we had a reunion)

I dreamt almost the exact same thing! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden 08-01-2003 09:46 AM

I've had plenty dreams about BD. Even one nightmare last night. That was disturbing.

Swan song,
-Menelien

[ August 01, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]

Elennar Starfire 08-01-2003 08:18 PM

Quote:

I should do that! Starting with your sig and location (I've always liked your location).
Thanks so much!

I also dream about the barrowdowns sometimes. My dreams are quite odd. I dreamed once I was reading a book, and all the characters were people from the 'downs.

elfearz1 08-03-2003 01:02 PM

you talk to the people on here more then your own family. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

when you are in a resteraunt and suddenly have a good idea for a post, you imediatly pull out a pen and start writing on a napkin... despite the odd looks you are given by your friends.

you've decided to skip showers to have more time on here (I'm not quite at that point!)

Although people (in real life)seem to think you are the most obsessed person on this planet, you feel ashamed that you are not as obsessed as your fellow BD'ers

you feel like you fit in more with people here then offline.

Sirithheruwen 08-03-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

you feel like you fit in more with people here then offline.
I completely agree! Just yesterday I was yelling at my sis telling her there WERE people like me! I was yelling off random BDer's and she just walked away while I was going on and on and on and on and on... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Brinniel 08-03-2003 08:16 PM

When you personalize your license plate to your BD nickname (no, I have not done that...yet). [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Tinuviel of Denton 08-04-2003 09:13 PM

Quote:

when you are in a resteraunt and suddenly have a good idea for a post, you imediatly pull out a pen and start writing on a napkin... despite the odd looks you are given by your friends.
You're at a wedding, and you suddenly get an idea for your next RPG post, and start writing it all over the program.

Your home-page is NOT the Downs, to save bandwidth (I'm a good g.irl, amn't I?) but is your email, and you immediately go to the threads that you have posted on, via saved messages with the links to them.

Your dad has told you that you need to get a life because you spend so much time on the Downs.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]

Amarantha_Daisy 08-04-2003 09:47 PM

Quote:

Your dad has told you that you need to get a life because you spend so much time on the Downs.
-You spend an hour or two arguing with your dad that you *do* have a life, seeing as message boards are just another form of social interation [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmm... I'll have to use that as my defence sometime... [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Tinuviel of Denton 08-05-2003 10:03 AM

Hey, thanks Amarantha! That might help...

When your mother limits your time on the computer, and you complain that she is curtailing your creative ability.

elfearz1 08-05-2003 03:00 PM

when you start getting blisters from the Walk to Rivendell. (serves me right for walking two miles in flip-flops)

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 08-06-2003 12:17 PM

Quote:

When you personalize your license plate to your BD nickname (no, I have not done that...yet).
*Gasp* Brinniel, you have found me out... okay, so I haven't done it yet, but I thought rather seriously about it. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] When I get that car...

Tinuviel of Denton 08-06-2003 04:04 PM

When you have managed to get your little sister who has a love affair with Peter Benchley (his books anyway) interested enough in LotR to register on the Downs! (Go me!)

When you start getting BD withdrawal when you sister takes ten minutes more on the computer than she was supposed to.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 08-06-2003 08:09 PM

Quote:

When you have managed to get your little sister who has a love affair with Peter Benchley (his books anyway) interested enough in LotR to register on the Downs! (Go me!)
What is her screen name, in case I see her around (so that I can think "Hey look! There's Tinuviel's little sister!")?

Eressië Ailin 08-06-2003 09:05 PM

*You now have a collection of BDers sigs and Avatars *ish very proud* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*You see one of Beren87's posts and yell (very loudly, I might add), "YAYISHNESS!!! Beren's confetti-throwing wizard is back--even though he's not throwing confetti anymore! YAY!!"

I received some very, very odd looks after that particular comment ("What? I wasn't doing anything! Honest! Just... go about you buiseness everybody!").

Amarantha_Daisy 08-07-2003 12:35 PM

Quote:

I received some very, very odd looks after that particular comment
Heh heh... I do that a lot... especially when on LotR humor sites... I'll start laughing aloud and get some weird looks. Or when I squee at a post... My family thinks I'm crazy [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Any-woo, back to the topic...
-The number of posts you've written in one day is bigger than the number of words you speak in a week.

Tinuviel of Denton 08-07-2003 02:15 PM

My sister's screen name? Who in all Felturn is that? Actually, she used to be Who the Heck is That? but we made a leetle mistake about her birthday when we registered that one. She lost interest for a while, then decided to reregister, and Who in all Felturn is That? was born.

Oh, yes, and I have another sister who's registered. Her screen name is Durlossiel.

When you sit at the computer for hours, waiting for someone to reply to your latest post in the Dragon. When that post finally comes, you squeal, then reply.

Who in all Felturn is that? 08-08-2003 08:18 PM

I am going to kill you!!!!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Back to topic
When you spend all night on this web site
get grounded and then do it again

My sister Tinuvial did that

Amarantha_Daisy 08-08-2003 10:56 PM

Quote:

I am going to kill you!!!!!!!
Awwww...sibling love. Sounds like my house... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:

When you spend all night on this web site get grounded and then do it again
Yep. That's me. I spend more time talking on the Downs than I do talking in real life... It's nice to talk here though, because the people here are just like me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It's nice to have people to talk to, since none of my frineds are Tolkien fans. *sniffle* I love you guys!

Okay...I'll stop being sappy now. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Pyroclastic 08-08-2003 11:17 PM

The only reason you get off of BD, or stop reading the books, or watching the movies, or the extras, is to do The Walk To Rivendell! That's me.