The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

arianrod 08-31-2003 05:48 PM

During marching band practice when my director wants us to go through the set we just learned, he says "do the move". I always hear it as 'Do the wave!', and the first few times I yelled out "for Boromir the Disco King!" And y'know what the funniest thing about it is? The song we're playing for halftime show is 'Disco Inferno'!

Quote:

Burn Borri Burn! Disco inferno! Burn Borri Burn! Boromir the Disco King! I'm still Doing The WAVE!!
Thanks for that, Naurwen_of_Lothlorien, now I crack up every time we practice it in rehearsal. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

elfearz1 09-04-2003 09:10 PM

you squeel with delight everytime someone replies to your post or you get a PM

Amarantha_Daisy 09-12-2003 08:21 PM

Quote:

you squeel with delight everytime someone replies to your post or you get a PM
Heh heh...yep. That's me...

This one goes out to Sapphire_Flame: I've been on here so much that I've been catching myself saying "snork" on several occations... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] That gives me two points; one for quoting you, and another for doing the whole *asterick action* thing...

Heh heh heh... I love you guys *big hug*

vanwalossien 09-13-2003 06:08 AM

You know you're obsessed when you enter www.barrowdowns.com as your homepage in forms - not because it is your homepage, but because it's your home... Not that I do that of course... *whistles* [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

And you might also be slightly obsessed when you spend more time trying to solve mr. BW and Sharkú's crosswords than doing your homework... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

elfearz1 09-14-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

I love you guys *big hug*
*hugs!*

I am begining to frighten myself. (see "epitaphs" for my latest action of addiction.)

Elennar Starfire 09-15-2003 09:10 PM

When your mom is telling you to get off the 'downs, and says "stop acting like an addict or you'll be kicked off permanently"(scary thought) and you reply "I'm not acting like an addict" while thinking, "I am one, I don't have to act."

Brinniel 09-15-2003 09:33 PM

You know you are obsessed with the BD when you begin to write your homework using European spelling even though you are an American. There's just too many of you Europeans here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Daewen 09-16-2003 04:23 PM

You have a discussion about seafood with your friends and manage to say, 'whatever floats your oyster' and 'wave kings at boromir the disco squid'

Finwe 09-16-2003 08:28 PM

When you write "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" all over the book cover on your US History AP book, and your very Mexican teacher walks over, looks at it, and goes back to his desk looking confused. (No offense against Mexicans! I love those people!)

elfearz1 09-17-2003 07:27 AM

Quote:

You know you are obsessed with the BD when you begin to write your homework using European spelling even though you are an American.
hehehe I do that all the time! My teachers circle the words and write a bunch of question makrs near it. It is pretty funny.

Tinuviel of Denton 09-20-2003 08:35 PM

--When you daydream about being like Cuthalion and Maikadilwen or burrahobbit and obloquy and meeting your true love on the site.

--When you make a pair of earrings in black and green and plan to wear them everywhere, hoping that someone will recognize the BD colors.

--When you convince two people who had never heard of the Downs to join just on your say-so.

--When you revive this thread. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Finwe 09-20-2003 08:47 PM

When you convince most of the 11th grade at your school to dress as Hobbits next Monday to celebrate Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday, bring a cake, and get your friend who is a DJ on the radio station to announce, "Do the
Wave for Boromir the Disco King! Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo!" on the radio station during lunch.

*rubs hands together and grins evilly* Ahhhh, connections, connections! What would we do without them?? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Brinniel 09-21-2003 02:44 AM

Quote:

When you convince two people who had never heard of the Downs to join just on your say-so.
I'm currently in the process of doing something similar to that.

I just met a girl in my Geometry class who's is just as obesessed as I. When she showed me her One Ring, her LOTR covered notebook, and the FOTR book she was rereading, and then told me she once attempted learning Elvish, I immediately wrote down the BD website on her notebook. She seemed interested in checking out this site, so now I just have to convince her to visit it and register.

Quote:

When you convince most of the 11th grade at your school to dress as Hobbits next Monday to celebrate Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday
This week is homecoming week at my school and every day we have to dress up as something different. I should have convinced student council to make Monday Hobbit Day. Unfortunately, it's too late for that. Monday is Hawaiian Day. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Tinuviel of Denton 09-21-2003 02:00 PM

Quote:

Monday is Hawaiian Day.
So be a Hawaiian Hobbit. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

--When you literally can't stop talking about the Downs.

--When the week you were grounded from the computer was the worst week of your life.

Finwe 09-21-2003 03:26 PM

When you wake up at six in the morning today to celebrate the birthday of Bilbo and Frodo, by making French toast in the shape of rings, and writing "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King" on them with vanilla icing, and your dad walks by, steals one, and tells you that a better present for them would be to get a life.

(He actually liked them, I swear!)

The Elusive Spirit 09-22-2003 02:50 PM

When you see that your friend has finally posted on the downs you scream, drop the
keyboard and run around the house for the next ten minutes screaming. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Tinuviel of Denton 09-26-2003 06:48 PM

--When you sneak on to the downs in the middle of your economics class, while ostensibly looking up statistics on Belgium and Nigeria.

--When you write DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING in random places.

--When you plot to put in a reference to squid on one of the posters for sci-fi club, hoping that a BDer will get the reference to Boromir.

Tinuviel of Denton 10-06-2003 02:05 AM

When you shout "DO THE WAVE FOR BOROMIR THE DISCO KING!!!" as a result of a social command on a mud RPG that you occasionally frequent. You are 'noshouted' as a result, but you don't care.

When you recomment BD to any and every fantasy fan you meet.

Elennar Starfire 10-06-2003 08:44 PM

~ When you pretend to be taking notes in class, but you are actually writing posts. (I wrote four posts in class today, including this one.)

Elwen_starmaiden 10-07-2003 05:23 PM

-When you haven't even been here long and you already come here everyday [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-When you giggle at anything that says "flammable" because it reminds you of Meela and Denethor [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-When you stole a balloon from the pep rally and wrote all over it "Do the Wave for Boromir the Disco King!" and get funny looks from people who read it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I really like this smilie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Amarantha_Daisy 10-07-2003 08:18 PM

-When you kelebrate that last post, thankful of the converts [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the Downs, Elwen_starmaiden, and enjoy being dead!

*That was my first time saying that, and boy did it feel good!*

Finwe 10-07-2003 08:45 PM

- When you write epic LotR-related poetry in your Spanish class instead of listening to the teacher and reviewing for your 1st Quarter Exam.

- When said teacher threatens to take away the notebook in which you are writing, and your face develops an expression remarkably similar to Gollum's when he sees the Ring around Frodo's neck for the first time.

(Needless to say, my Spanish teacher backed off!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img])

- When you meet a fellow LotR fan at the beach because you're walking in the surf singing "To the Sea" and suddenly this voice joins in with yours, and you meet another fan.

- When you pretend to be studying for your 1st Quarter Exams, but instead are posting in this thread.

vanwalossien 10-08-2003 11:55 AM

Quote:

Needless to say, my Spanish teacher backed off
We wants try try that, yesss... Not that I've got Spanish, but hopefully it works at French teachers as well [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I also think I counts as slightly obsessive when you actually walk all over Oslo to find a store that sells prostetic elf ears, even though you know you can't afford them, all the while thinking about how much this'll improve your RtR mileage...

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]

vanwalossien 10-11-2003 01:51 PM

I think I'm in trouble, I just re-read the first half of this thread just to find some comfort in the fact that I'm not the only one who's dangerously addicted. I think there might even be people who are more addicted than me.. But since page 2 I've also learnt how to spell Marileangorifurnimaluim, Eärendil [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your quotes still trouble me though... You do know we wanted to rename the thread, to name it after you?

Arothir 10-11-2003 04:31 PM

When your posts are just questions asking about in jokes. Speaking of that, where did the meela-denethor thing start? I feel really stupid right now. I just found out about Boromir the Disco King a week ago.

Finwe 10-11-2003 06:31 PM

When you giggle like a maniac whenever someone mentions "Denethor" or "fire."

When you tell your teachers you have a project to work on, just so you can get a pass to go to the school library to get on the Downs.

Arwen1858 10-11-2003 07:29 PM

I've only read this page on the thread, so if this one's been posted before, please don't shoot me!!

When you put as your signature in other LotR message boards, 'Do the wave for Boromir the disco king,' in hopes of finding another Downie there, or making some converts [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

vanwalossien 10-14-2003 01:44 AM

The Boromir the Disco King-thing is really mad [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I never read the thread where it came from, I don't really know what it's all about, but I picture Boromir dancing all the time. Yesterday a guy in my class pretended to do some disco dancing, and I started giggling hysterically.. He suddenly stopped dancing [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

elfearz1 10-19-2003 08:37 PM

the only way I can do me homework is: do a problem, read a post, do a problem, read a post hehe

Elennar Starfire 10-21-2003 04:40 PM

When you are talking about the 'downs, and your guy-friend says "Is it a bad thing that I don't go to freaky obsessive websites?" and before he finishes the sentence you yell "YES!" Scared him pretty bad, I did, yes, preciousss... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Lëowen 10-21-2003 05:43 PM

You see a lisence plate with 'PFC' on it, and you instantly think 'Purplefluffychainsaw!' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Alatariel Telemnar 10-21-2003 07:57 PM

not sure if something like this has been done, but:

If ever the barrow downs is not working, you start freaking out, are really snappy, and bite your nails, possibly pulling out hair, because you are unable to visit one of the best forums ever!!!

yup something like that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jack 10-24-2003 02:39 PM

Wow that really describes me... Hehe

Vuelve 10-29-2003 05:16 PM

Quote:

--When the week you were grounded from the computer was the worst week of your life.
Actually its the worst time of your life when your phone company sets your internet limit to 8 free hours a month.Then your computer's harddrive decides to crash preventing you to have no internet, no Downs', and no Middle Earth Mirth for a whole month.Yes people I just got through enduring this.I got my new computer yesterday, and this is my first offical post on the Downs' in over a month. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Black, Green, and a Computer Screen,
Vuelve

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: Vuelve ]

Elennar Starfire 12-26-2003 10:03 PM

-When you see 'PM' you think 'private message' rather than 'afternoon.'

Naz 12-27-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:

You know you are obsessed with the BD when you begin to write your homework using European spelling even though you are an American.
I've done that.. & on English papers, too! I'm waiting to get me papers back.. I think I wrote something once when I used "me" like just did & it got marked on [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elennar Starfire 12-27-2003 03:16 PM

Yeah... I got points off a lot of assignments in typing class for using European spelling. My stupid teacher doesn't know about it. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Or, I should say didn't know about it, as I informed her. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Nilpaurion Felagund 12-30-2003 08:08 AM

I guess you're addicted to the 'Downs when you say, "I'll be a Ghost Prince before 2004!"

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod

P.S. Well what did you know...I am a Ghost Prince!

Catlyn21 12-30-2003 11:42 PM

This thread is hysterical!

Okay, my pitiful contribution:

*After just 1 day of being on this site, you're instantly hooked

*When you spend thousands of dollars buying a new computer so that Barrowdowns will load faster

*You wake up at 11am, go see ROTK for the fourth time, come home, log onto Barrowdowns, and at approx. 11pm you realize that all you've had to eat the entire day was 1/2 a bag of greasy, buttery popcorn. You then realize that food is no longer important, and stay on til about 12:30. **my life story**

*Sleep? What is this "sleep" you speak of? We of this age know nothing of "sleep." The only proper use for that word is when it is proceeded by "I'll catch up on my" and followed by "in study hall." And that's only if you can't get to the library to use the computers!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Pyroclastic 12-31-2003 12:59 AM

I read this thread when I first joined BD this summer, and thought, "This is gonna be me, isn't it?" I bet after these past four months I can come up with ten signs, no sweat. All of these are taken from real experience, except #2. When I get to #2, it's time to check myself into the loony bin. (Or dump my boyfriend. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

1. Your friends limit you to one Barrowdowns related exclamation per day.

2. Barrowdowns takes precedence over calling your boyfriend.

3. You've redecorated your room in Black, Green, and Gold to make you feel more at home.

4. You need more school notebooks halfway through the semester, not because your classes have covered that much information, but because you've written that many posts in the back of your notebooks.

5. You're not only familiar with the terms "Legolover" and "Leggybopper", you've applied them in real life.

6. The only time you're not on the Barrows is when you're reading Tolkien's books, or Walking to Rivendell.

7. Your spell checker is filled with Elvish words.

8. You carry on a lengthily hypothetical discussion with your friends, never revealing to them that the hypothetocity is in fact your latest RPG situation.

9. Everything you see reminds you of someone on barrowdowns. (Pepsi Blue, Fire, Disco anything, the Wave, Enni Minne Minny Moe...)

10. You carry a notebook with you everywhere, in case you think of another top ten sign.