The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "Here's chatting with you, kid." (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=15834)

Bêthberry 10-16-2009 03:31 PM

"Here's chatting with you, kid."

Is the Downs forum getting too small for you?

Are your social committments growing too large for it?

Are your PMs filling up too fast and is Facebook just too . . . faceless?

As Galadriel says, "Despair not!" (or something to that effect.)

Some of you might not know that there is a Barrow Downs chat channel on mirc, that can be reached via a Java link on the Barrow Downs front pages.

It's quite dead these days but once was quite lively. And right now three of us are brushing up the dust and remembering old times: Estelyn, Mirkgirl and me.

Anyone interested in reviving a dead tradition? :smokin:

Barrow Downs chat channel :D

PS. Thanks to Esty for the thread title here. :Merisu:

Mnemosyne 10-16-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bêthberry (Post 613512)
Is the Downs forum getting too small for you?

Are your social committments growing too large for it?

Are your PMs filling up too fast and is Facebook just too . . . faceless?

As Galadriel says, "Despair not!" (or something to that effect.)

Some of you might not know that there is a Barrow Downs chat channel on mirc, that can be reached via a Java link on the Barrow Downs front pages.

It's quite dead these days but once was quite lively. And right now three of us are brushing up the dust and remembering old times: Estelyn, Mirkgirl and me.

Anyone interested in reviving a dead tradition? :smokin:

Barrow Downs chat channel :D

PS. Thanks to Esty for the thread title here. :Merisu:

It would help if I could figure out how to type into this thing...

AKA I am an idiot... (problem solved)

Durelin 10-20-2009 06:58 PM

I remember popping in there a couple times a loooong time ago.

I just set up trillian for IRC again but wow does the server seem to be laggy!

Bêthberry 10-23-2009 07:33 PM

My bad--I've had no time this week to pop into chat, not even a random opportunity.

I wonder how people would feel about planning a chat session? We could set a specific time that would be convenient to a majority of people and see how many of us can make it.

When would Downers be free? Weekends or workdays? It seems to me that a combination of North America afternoons and European evenings might be best, possibly 2 pm EDT (ie, Chicago/Toronto time), which would make it 7 pm GMT (how do you express daylight time?) for you UK types and 11 am for Downers on the west coast of North America. I'm not sure where that puts Downers in other time zones, but the more the merrier.

The fun about the chat room is that everyone can chat together; it isn't one on one, like Facebook or MSN.

Does this sound doable?

Want to try it for this Sunday, October 25th ? Any other suggestions?

Mister Underhill 10-23-2009 10:12 PM

"I'm shocked -- schocked! -- to learn that chatting is going on in here!"

Sorry I missed out on the reunion. We had some good ol' times in Barrow Chat back in the day. If another round gets scheduled, I'll definitely try to poke my head in and catch up.

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-24-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Underhill (Post 614287)
"I'm shocked -- schocked! -- to learn that chatting is going on in here!"

"Your IRC, sir."

Mister Underhill 10-24-2009 06:56 PM

"Oh, thank you very much!"

:smokin:

Bêthberry 10-25-2009 12:01 PM

Hi all you skwerl-weary chatterers. Er, I mean well-behaved Downers. :D

Just a note that while Europe went back to standard time last night, North America is still on daylight saving.

Estelyn Telcontar and I are hoping to connect in the Barrow Downs chat room today at 2 pm EDT. I am, in fact, there now.

Estelyn Telcontar 10-25-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bêthberry (Post 614396)
I am, in fact, there now.

As am I!

Eönwë 10-25-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 614399)
As am I!

And I!

Folwren 10-25-2009 08:11 PM

I remember popping on there before I was a member here on the Forum. I was booted off for quoting the entirety of the Gil-Galad song once. Someone goaded me into it. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll stop by to chat sometime during the week.

-- Foley

Hakon 10-25-2009 08:18 PM

If anyone wants a good story about getting booted out of a chatroom I have tons. I also have some good banned from forum stories but that does not relate to this thread.

Feanor of the Peredhil 10-25-2009 09:18 PM

I remember convincing people to log on as 'Hobbitchick' so that when people said hello, they'd get booted...

Ah, being a teenager...

Snowdog 10-31-2009 06:09 PM

Its been AGES since I've been on iIRC anywhere! Can't remember if I ever logged into the Barrow Downs chat. I think I gave up when I would go on different chats and see a few folk logged in but nobody was chatting, or if there were a couple people chatting they didn't bother to acknowledge anyone else who came in and anything said was ignored.

I hope your efforts to revive the old-school here pays off Bêthberry! :cool:

Bêthberry 11-25-2009 03:36 PM

Right now there's four Barrow Downers chatting on the old mirc Barrow Downs channel.

Like, this must be a record. :smokin:

Folwren 11-25-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil (Post 614442)
I remember convincing people to log on as 'Hobbitchick' so that when people said hello, they'd get booted...

Ah, being a teenager...

Am I being oblivious, naive, or otherwise stupid when I ask, why would that get them booted?

Lush 11-26-2009 04:33 AM

I think I'd like to start making more of my anti-intellectual, frenzied cameo appearances in chat. :D

Mithalwen 11-26-2009 05:56 AM

The only time I logged on I swear people were listing vegetables. I never bothered again....

Oddwen 11-26-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 617009)
The only time I logged on I swear people were listing vegetables. I never bothered again....

Well, how do you know you didn't miss out on some kind of Hobbity roleplay? ;)

Lush 11-26-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Dude, log on when I'm around. We can list hot guys instead. Or. Er. I mean, have an intellectual literary discussion.

Mithalwen 11-26-2009 04:33 PM

That sounds like a plan... not aubergine but Armitage... sorry yes..intellectual discussion...:cool:

Eönwë 11-27-2009 05:52 PM

We should organise a new time when everyone will be online.

Bêthberry 11-29-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 617135)
We should organise a new time when everyone will be online.

Lately those of us who have chatted have been on 1 pm EST, which is 6 pm GMT. We've also just randomly popped in. There was quite a crowd last night at about 5 pm EST.

Not that I will be in today at 1 pm. I'm out shopping in the hopes that the Grey Cup game will empty the stores enough to make shopping pleasant.

Have fun listing hot topics. No skwerls in chat, although the bot objects to "language". ;)

skip spence 11-29-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bêthberry (Post 617222)
No skwerls in chat, although the bot objects to "language". ;)

Well there are many handy euphemisms so that shouldn't be a problem. Speaking of "language", here's an old clip I stumbled across, which is extremely funny and very educational: the late, great Frank Zappa appearing on Crossfire

Chatting is seriously old school though, it's been many years since I last sat foot on one of those pages. Once I did try to log in on the BD-chat to have a look but couldn't somehow. It would be fun to have some less restricted conversations with people from around here though and I might give it a go again if there's anything going on in there.

Bêthberry 11-29-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip spence (Post 617225)
Well there are many handy euphemisms so that shouldn't be a problem. Speaking of "language", here's an old clip I stumbled across, which is extremely funny and very educational: the late, great Frank Zappa appearing on Crossfire Chatting is seriously old school though, it's been many years since I last sat foot on one of those pages. Once I did try to log in on the BD-chat to have a look but couldn't somehow. It would be fun to have some less restricted conversations with people from around here though and I might give it a go again if there's anything going on in there.

Zappa--now there's someone who is seriously serious old school. ;) Almost unbelievable that that argument was going on in 1986. It is possible to call Tolkien seriously old school, so we're probably in good company. ;)

It would be great fun and really interesting to see some of the newer Downers in chat. It's not like the chat room is an old folks' home. ;)

skip spence 11-30-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bêthberry (Post 617260)
Almost unbelievable that that argument was going on in 1986.

Didn't that particular debate result in the explicit lyrics labels? Strange concept that, I can't think of any better way promoting explicit lyrics. Uhm... what would Tolkien think of that one wonders...;)

The Might 12-06-2009 05:17 PM

I would definitely like chatting there as well... just hope I'll notice in time when a reunion is planned in there... best if someone could PM me about this stuff, barely have time for anything these days. :(

Kate 12-18-2009 03:10 PM

The problem is that the Downs is getting too small? I remember when there were only about 20 members. That was back in the First Age, before the coming of Orlando and Elijah at the turn of the tide. Many an old crone might spin a tale of days when there was great longing for the forum to return to its humble beginnings. :)

I haven't visited in years, literally, but have some fond memories of hour upon wasted hour spent in this forum and in chat. Good times.

Inziladun 12-18-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 619643)
The problem is that the Downs is getting too small? I remember when there were only about 20 members. That was back in the First Age, before the coming of Orlando and Elijah at the turn of the tide. Many an old crone might spin a tale of days when there was great longing for the forum to return to its humble beginnings. :)

I haven't visited in years, literally, but have some fond memories of hour upon wasted hour spent in this forum and in chat. Good times.

Kate? Were you once known here by another name?

Kate 12-18-2009 03:23 PM

On the forum, yes. I was onewhitetree, but I can't recall the password or email attached to that account, sadly.

Inziladun 12-18-2009 03:29 PM

I thought that was you! Nice to see you back! :)

Kate 12-18-2009 03:32 PM

Thanks! I'm surprised, and pleased, that you remember me. It's been a long time, and I'm older, smarter in some ways, dumber in others, married, moved across the country, and in grad school now. How are you?

Inziladun 12-18-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 619648)
Thanks! I'm surprised, and pleased, that you remember me. It's been a long time, and I'm older, smarter in some ways, dumber in others, married, moved across the country, and in grad school now. How are you?

I'm well thanks. A bit older, as well. It's always good to see a face from the Elder (EZ Board) Days! :)

Kate 12-18-2009 03:47 PM

Perhaps the community here is coming full circle, as the novelty of the movie craze has (surely) dulled a bit by now. I just finished re-reading The Hobbit, LotR, and The Silmarillion, and it really took me back to some very stimulating discussions had in these parts. Totally irrelevant, but stimulating.

I wonder, has it ever really been settled whether or not balrogs have wings?

Thinlómien 12-18-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

I wonder, has it ever really been settled whether or not balrogs have wings?
I think we settled on no. :Merisu:

Anyway, welcome back, oneKatetree. :D I have seen your old nick across the forums here and there, but I can't recall ever talking to you or anything... :)

Mister Underhill 12-18-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 619645)
I was onewhitetree...

The days are fated to be filled with marvels. Here before my eyes stands another of the folk of legend, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell.

Nice to see you, Kate! I've gone quite treeish myself, though I'm occasionally to be found zapping spammers or doing some sort of technical tweak in the shadows. Changes, changes -- I've had a few of those myself, not least of which is the addition of a Tookish little hobbit scampering about the hole.

wb!

...as we used to say in chat. :)

Oh, and by the way, I can of course recover onewhitetree for you if you'd like; you have only to say the word.

Feanor of the Peredhil 12-18-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 619652)
I think we settled on no

Actually, I think we settled on, "After they drink Red Bull."

Ibrîniðilpathânezel 12-18-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 619652)
I think we settled on no.

Heck, no! Redundant wings! For terrifying show only! ;)

Kate 12-18-2009 07:45 PM

Why hello, Mr. Underhill! I always did think you had the most clever handle. I am delighted to hear that you are doing well, and offer my sincere congratulations on your bourgeoning family. I would be much obliged if I could regain my old moniker, if only to give myself whatever questionable credibility may be associated with it. But how will you know it's really me? ;)

Thank you for the welcome, Thinlomien. I do believe your join date is somewhat after my visits tapered off, but I trust by the last couple of posts in this thread, my reputation for having the best ratio of pots stirred to posts made wasn't for naught.

Bêthberry 12-18-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 619645)
On the forum, yes. I was onewhitetree, but I can't recall the password or email attached to that account, sadly.

The Rimwife returns!

Welcome back, onewhitetree. Did you ever get to London?

Yes, some of us have grown quite entish memories.