The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Elves pregnancy, how long? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3478)

Eärendil 05-26-2002 03:20 PM

Elves pregnancy, how long?

Okay, maybe this isn´t a very good question, but I have been curiuos about it for along time, so I post it anyway..
I read somewhere here(don´t remember what topic and forum) that the pregnancy of Elves is longer than human-pregnancy (that´s say, 9 months), and so I wonder, does anyone know how long is the pregnancy? And as it was longer than a human´s, could this have affected the fact that the Elves never got many children?

Nevfeniel 05-26-2002 03:24 PM

It might have affected the number of children Elves had. But I don't know the answer to your other questions. I'm not as learned in Tolkienology as the others here. The only books I have are LotR, The Hobbit, and #4 of The Shaping of Middle Earth.

[ May 26, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]

Raefindel 05-27-2002 12:06 AM

I have no idea of the length of an elven pregnancy, but as for why they have only a few children, I would guess it is because elves are supposed to have more or better control over their bodies than humans and therefore can choose to become pregnant or not to, while humans have unexpected pregnancies.

Frodo Baggins 05-27-2002 03:36 AM

That is true Raefindel, they may be able to choose to become pregnant or not. But I think that (since they were born in the same year) Elladan and Elrohir, the sons of Elrond, are twins. Can Elves have twins?

Raefindel 05-27-2002 11:23 AM

Yes, they are indeed twins, Frodo. Someone with more knowledge than me will undoubtedly come up with all the other cases of Elven twins.

Elrian 05-27-2002 11:58 AM

Quote:

Can Elves have twins?
Yes, not only were the sons of Elrond twins, it ran in their family, Elurid and Elurin were twins they were the brother of Elrond mother. Also Feanor had a set of twins Amras and Amrod.

As for Elven pregnancy, the closest I remember the books coming to this subject was that Idril got pregnant and gave birth the following year to Earendil. So it would seem their gestation period is the same but the age of maturity some have said to be at 50 years of age.

Raefindel 05-27-2002 12:22 PM

Thank you Elrain, I knew someone would come up with the answers.

Luinsewiel 05-27-2002 02:10 PM

Elrond and Elros where twin brothers too, it really must run in the family!

Hírilamara 05-27-2002 02:18 PM

Interesting. I knew about Elladan and Elrohir, and Elrond and Elros, but none of the others.

Elrian 05-27-2002 02:22 PM

Quote:

Elrond and Elros where twin brothers too, it really must run in the family!
I'm not too sure about that. I think Elros was older, and they are never said to be twins in any book I have. The others are.

Luinsewiel 05-27-2002 05:53 PM

Funny, I always thought they were and it says in the Barrow-Downs encycolpedia(sounded that one out all by myself [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )that they are. I know that the encyclopedia is a work in progress but I don't think they would put something in that they knew was wrong. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Elrian 05-27-2002 09:42 PM

In the Index of the Silmarillion under Elrond and Elros it does not state that they are twins, it does for the other sets of twins. Nor does it in any of JRR Tolkiens other books. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Eärendil 05-28-2002 11:29 AM

Wow, thanx for all the interesting answers to this, (never thought it would turn to this kind of conversation..) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Luinsewiel 05-28-2002 01:12 PM

sorry, I just typed what I read on the site. I guess they weren't twins then. sorry bout that.

Oandanel 06-03-2002 03:08 AM

Elves' pregnancy lasts for two years. Most elf-maidens don't make it through 2 years thus less children. Twins are more common in Elves than in humans.

Nevtalathiel 06-03-2002 05:05 AM

Quote:

Most elf-maidens don't make it through 2 years
Can you explain this, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Gayahithwen 06-03-2002 07:53 AM

To me, that sound just like something taken out of nothing.. No sources, no theories or anything.. simply a statement, which, to me, sounds utterly wrong after what have been said in here..

*Varda* 06-04-2002 03:05 PM

Oadanel, can you maybe back that up with something? or give us a reference to one of Tolkien's books or a site that says it? It doesn't sound quite right, i'm a bit doubtful.

Nufaciel 06-04-2002 05:27 PM

In Morgoth's Ring, which is the only book I've read that talks of Elven childbirth, childhood, etc. It says that Elves gave birth exactly 1 year later, or very close to the same day of conception, and the day that is remembered each year (their birthday) is the date of their conception. This is in the Laws and Customs section. I can't think of anywhere else this is discussed in the books. Anyone else? I don't know where Oandanel's information came from. I've never seen it.

Elrian 06-04-2002 05:34 PM

Quote:

Then there was made a great and joyful feast, for Tuor had won the hearts of all that people, save only of Maeglin and his secret following; and there came to pass the second union of Elves and Men

In the Spring of the year after was born in Gondolin Earendil Halfelven, the son of Tuor and Idril Celebrindal.
Earendil may have been Halfelven but his mother was Elven and only carried him for less than a year.

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]

Raefindel 06-04-2002 08:43 PM

Thank You Nufaciel & Elrian, That was interesting.